Fantasy Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Tagline: Long live the king.

Genre: Science Fiction, Action

Director: Michael Dougherty

Cast: Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga, Millie Bobby Brown, Ken Watanabe, Zhang Ziyi, Bradley Whitford, Sally Hawkins, Charles Dance, Thomas Middleditch, Aisha Hinds, O'Shea Jackson Jr., David Strathairn, Anthony Ramos, Elizabeth Faith Ludlow, Jonathan Howard, CCH Pounder, Joe Morton, Randy Havens, Lyle Brocato, Jimmy Gonzales, T.C. Matherne, Kenneth Israel, Justice Leak, Al Vicente, Rose Bianco, Gabriel L. Silva, Skylar Denney, Kelli Garner, Tyler Crumley, Lexi Rabe, Zac Zedalis, Tracie Garrison, Natalie Shaheen, Jesse O'Neill, Joshua Leary, Vince Foster, Shauna Rappold, Fiona Hardingham, Orelon Sidney, Paul Ryden, Laurie Dhue, Kevin Shinick, Seth Green, Eli Roth, T. J. Storm, Jason Liles, Alan Maxson, Richard Dorton, James William Ballard, Joey Beni, Gerardo Bosco, DuRa Brown, Cameron Brumbelow, Madeline Brumby, John David Bulla, Hans Bush, Marko Caka, Andrea Antonio Canal, Timothy Carr, Greg Clarkson, Mitch Craft, Leon Croom, Rob Crowe, Michael Dougherty, Daejahnna Downer, Robin Dyke, Justine Edwards, Frank Forke, Fred Galle, Tahseen Ghauri, Christopher Bryan Gomez, Clare Grant, Anthony B. Harris, Kasia Hart, Cecil M. Henry, Maxwell Highsmith, Mallory Hoff, Miguel Insignares, Omar Isaacs, Alex Javo, Brian Kayode-Patrick Johnson, Cameron James Khan, Tony Koschmann, Emily Lamb, Alison Linkov, Andrea Maiuro, Van Marten, Shaun McLane, Shaun McMillan, Timothy D. Montjoy, Roger K. Moore, Tony Morgan, Sherod Morrison, Stephen Moyer, Walker Peterson, Leiloni Arrie Pharms, Beverly Provost, Sasha Rionda, Diana Rombola, Andres Salgado, Zach Shields, Beverley Simmons, Max Soliz, Shawn South, James Sterling, Thomas W. Stewart, Joey Thurmond, Robert Tinsley, Miguel Angel Varela Fimbres, Laurel O Wagner, Aaron Walsh, Buddy Watkins, Benjamin Weaver, Jamie Wedel, Michael David Yuhl

Release: 2019-05-29

Runtime: 132

Plot: Follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species, thought to be mere myths, rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity's very existence hanging in the balance.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species—thought to be mere myths—rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity’s very existence hanging in the balance.

CURRENT STATUS:
Awaiting Release
RELEASE DATE:
May 31, 2019 (Theaters)

CATEGORY:
STUDIO:
WRITER:
DIRECTOR:
MPAA:
Rated PG-13 for "sequences of monster action violence and destruction, and for some language."
OFFICIAL SITE:
Instagram
Twitter
Facebook
PROJECT DETAILS:
Filmed in Atlanta, Georgia.
Actress Zhang Ziyi plays "a significant figure within the covert Monarch organization."
Actress Sally Hawkins reprises her role of "Dr. Vivienne Graham from 2014’s Godzilla."
O’Shea Jackson Jr. (Straight Outta Compton) is in negotiations to join the cast.
Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights, Bloodline) is set to play Millie Bobby Brown's father in the film.
Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven from Stranger Things) is the first name added to the cast.
Krampus writers Michael Dougherty (Trick 'r Treat) and Zach Shields are working on the latest script, with Michael Dougherty directing.
Gareth Edwards (Godzilla, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) was originally going to direct, but has since left the project for unknown reasons. A decision that was reportedly "amicable" between Edwards and the studio. (5/13/16)
Previously had a June 8th 2018 then a March 22, 2019 theatrical release.
Writer Max Borenstein had an interview recently where he gave some minor details on what to expect from the film, saying: "I’m writing it now, and it’s really going to be great. I don’t want to go off book and tell you anything that I’m not allowed to tell you. The response to the first film was really exciting, but now that that world is established, we can do bigger and even better things. We’re really stoked." (8/10/15)
Max Borenstein returns to script.
It's said that Godzilla will fight against either Rodan, Mothra or King Ghidorah in this film.
This will be followed up by Godzilla vs. Kong.
The first film scored the second biggest weekend of 2014, opening at $93-million domestically and then another $103-million globally.
The sequel to the 2014 US remake.

Glad they are bringing back Ken Wattanabe for this sequel. Good actor who brought some credibility in the first flick. (Along with Bryan Cranston and Juliette Binoche, although their characters were killed in the first one. )

I recall being in the minority of people who thought this first movie was worth seeing, although I'm glad I did so with dvd and not in theatre.

Also growing nostalgic hearing about Kong and Godzilla, being that King Kong vs Godzilla of the sixties was one of the first movies I saw in the theatres by myself. Along with Fantastic Voyage. Hope the plot and special effects do this story justice.......

"The arrogance of men is thinking nature is in our control and not the other way around. Let them fight."

I'm just flat out 'stoked' about this film AND the King Kong VS Godzilla film from Legendary.
I'm also hoping for a continuation of Toho's Shin Godzilla.
Shin Godzilla is much better in english dub.

I wonder if they'll have two different endings for the new Godzilla vs Kong that they did in the old King Kong vs Godzilla. In the Japanese release of the film way back then, Godzilla won their battle, whereas in the American version of the film, Kong won out in the end.

"Now, Officer Eckles, does being a police officer give you the right to beat the felgercarb out of people?"
"Not at all, Officer Varner, but it is one of the perks of the job."

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) CAM copies have hit the interwebs.
I don't watch the CAM copies tho.
I'm going to see it in 3d tomorrow at 2:55pm.
My current GF hasn't seen a 3d movie in theaters since Jaws 3d.
She has no idea what she is in for, hahaha.

Mrs. Kevin actually wants to see this one so I'm hoping we get a chance to see it in the theater soon. It's not often she wants to see one of my kind of movies so I need act while I can. :D

not interested in any Kong movies.
Not even the next movie in the series being Godzilla vs. Kong?

Kevin - go see it, its worth it.
I was flat out amazed with the film and it gave me something I always imagined in the Godzilla franchise.
I've Watched it 3 other times online (crappy cam copy) and it still holds up as a pinnacle of Godzilla films.
Walking out of the theater after seeing this I was saying " Now THAT is what a Godzilla film should be!"

Won't spoil it but let me say Godzilla is a God and Kong is a king.
Absolutely no competition.
Godzilla is just flat out a Bad-asssss!

I saw some inconsistencies in the film but they are not really important or significant to the story.
Example; A MUTO is seen a few times.
According to the first film, Godzilla stopped and killed the only two MUTOs, ending their line.
The MUTO present in this film, breaks the rationality of the first film and was not necessary for the impact of the ending.
The MUTO was not needed and shouldn't be there.
Not really a spoiler because the MUTO depicted was not part of the focus of the film.
I was just wondering why the movie makers included it.
Why not substitute it with another, different kaiju?

I watched Kong:Skull Island again last night.
I watched Godzilla: King of the Monsters tonight.
There is no way, no matter how big they make Kong, that he will be able to take on Godzilla.
Godzilla is just too powerful, flat out, awesome (as in inspiring Awe).

Have fun!

Ah, dang it, looks like the local Movie Tavern's are dropping Godzilla today. :mad:

I'm checking AMC now to see if anybody local has it this Sunday yet. If I don't find tickets it'll mean Mrs. Kevin & I will be seeing "Rocketman" instead (the Elton John bio-pic which, yeah, I'll watch as well but I really want to see Godzilla on the big screen).

:chibigodzilla:

I'm checking AMC now to see if anybody local has it this Sunday yet. If I don't find tickets it'll mean Mrs. Kevin & I will be seeing "Rocketman" instead (the Elton John bio-pic which, yeah, I'll watch as well but I really want to see Godzilla on the big screen).
I had a chance to see it last weekend at the local AMC before it went away. The theater was almost empty and me & Mrs. Kevin were the only ones there till just a few minutes before the movie started and about 5 or 6 other people showed up.

I liked it. (y) Definitely a lot more action than the last one which is fine for me when it comes to Godzilla movies. With the framing of this one it could be argued that it really isn't a movie about Godzilla per se but rather of the Monarch organization and I'd be OK with that too because they are building a pretty interesting monster verse with Monarch at the center of it.

There were some nice nods to some of the classic Godzilla movies, like the Monarch code name for Mothra being Mosura which is the original Japanese market movie name for Mothra, Dr. Chen being a twin and 3rd generation Monarch member giving a nod to the twins who call Mothra with their song, and anybody notice what the group did with their arms when Mothra emerged? Then of course Monster Zero which goes back to what the Xiliens called Ghidorah. And don't forget the type of weapon that the military launches at Ghidorah while fighting with Godzilla! Goes back to the very first Gojira movie. In the scene with the demonstrators one of this holding up a sign of "Destroy All Monsters". There's a bunch of other references as well, and some of the names could be just coincidences, but still cool to think that the production team had fans onboard who are really into the genre.

I also really appreciate the Monarch news clippings that they show during the credits; they did it with the last one and this time the clippings really fill in some gaps and with all of the Skull Island references peppered in the movie itself and the clippings stories it leads right into the upcoming Godzilla vs. King Kong movie.

We ended up making it a lazy "Movie Day" and saw both Godzilla and Rocketman on the same day! :LOL: We saw Godzilla first at the local AMC which is traditional theater and, though it was built within the past 10 years or so, it kind of felt like going into a time capsule of a theater from the 80's. That was in the afternoon, for dinner we headed out to the local Movie Tavern to catch Rocketman which is the Elton John musical biography. It wasn't bad but (a) I didn't know that it was a musical and (b) and pales in comparison to Bohemian Rhapsody.

I have to admit, I was bit a disappointed that I didn't get to see Godzilla at Move Tavern also because the screen & sound system there is so much more immersive versus AMCs but it was my fault for waiting so long. It was still fun seeing on the big screen.