Gone

i know, i suck, yell all you want.

[[Chapter 6]]

“I’m sorry dear, we don’t have a car… there’s not much place we could go out here anyway.” The woman answered, sorry to disappoint her guest. “I do have a phone, if that helps?” She suggested.

“Yes, please.” She answered, happy to finally be able to get home. She called a private number, giving her code and waiting for someone to pick up.

“Hello?” The director of her division at the CIA answered.

“I need transport from…” She looked up to the woman who was still hovering nearby, cooing over Jane. The woman noticed her questioning stare and told her the town, which she relayed over the phone. “Swansboro. Yes, thanks.”

Hanging up, she thanked the couple profusely, awaiting her transport back home.

~*~

There was a faint noise coming from the front of the house. It sounded suspiciously like a burglar and he got up to investigate. Gun drawn at the ready, he slowly crept into the living room, towards the front door. Seeing a dirty, muddy, dusty person huddled in his foyer sent a chill down his spine. The person’s face was hidden by a piece of torn fabric.

“Who are you?” He asked. The person looked up and met his eye; tears falling softly down her cheeks. “Oh my God.” He whispered, immediately dropping his weapon and pulling her into an embrace. Relief washed over him as he held her in his arms. She was safe- a little dirty, but safe- and home.

But what happened to the baby, he wondered. She had been gone from her eight and a half month to now, which was far past her due date. Had they taken the baby? Was he/she still alive, he wondered, answering his own questions when she pulled back and he saw something bundled up in her arms.

Smiling softly, he watched as she silently unwrapped the tiny infant. Soft gurgling noises filled the room as Jane took in her new surroundings.

“Is that her?” He asked, marveled at the tiny infant.

“Yeah. Her name’s Jane.” She answered, smiling down at her daughter. “You wanna hold her?”

“Sure.” He carefully took Jane from her mother’s arms, holding her close to his chest and gently rocking her back and forth. “She’s amazing.” He conceded. “She’s beautiful, just like her mommy.”

“We need to talk.” She interrupted, frowning.

TBC...

update as promised!!!
A/N: omg, i just looked at the start date of this and it was last year Oct 25. thats funny, but sad cause i'm slow.

[[Chapter 7]]

“We need to talk.” She interrupted, frowning.

“Yeah? About what?” He asked, concerned. Did something happen to her while she was gone, other than giving birth? Was she hurt, or being followed? Thousands of ideas scattered across his mind as she beckoned him to sit with her on the couch.

“It’s about Jane.” She admitted, wanting to be blunt and get this over with. He surely wouldn’t want her if he knew the truth and it was wrong to keep stringing him along.

“Is something wrong with her? Is she hurt? Sick?” He said, quickly checking the little girl in his arms to make sure she had ten fingers and toes and was not cut or bleeding.

“No, she’s fine… it’s just…” She stuttered, trying to find the right words to make him see that she didn’t do it on purpose. She didn’t mean to hurt him. It wasn’t planned this way. She wanted to go back and change it all. She never would have gone to his house, gotten drunk, slept with him. She never should have picked that fight. She never should have yelled. She never should have doubted him.

“Babe, what is it? You can tell me.” He listened intently, gently rubbing the back of her battered hand. He didn’t know what was about to come. He seemed so innocent. He had no idea.

“Jane’s not yours.” She whispered, looking down and trembling with anticipation. What would he do? Would he throw her out, kick her to the curb, and abandon them?

“Is… is she… his?” He asked calmly, almost with no emotion. His non-reaction scared her and she was suddenly frightened of what he might do to the innocent baby in his arms.

She slowly nodded, her eyes focused on Jane who was entirely clueless to the current situation. She didn’t deserve a mother who was an adulterous whore. Her real father didn’t even know about her. Did he deserve to? She wasn’t created out of love; she was just the product of a drunken one-night stand.

“I… I don’t know what to say.” He replied, suddenly seeing the little girl in a different light. All this time he thought she was his. How could he have been so blind? How could he have not noticed? Was there something going on with him? He began to doubt if she was actually kidnapped. Maybe she had set it up so she could go be with him when Jane was delivered. Maybe she just came back because she found out what he really was like. Maybe she got bored with him. But then why would she tell him this?

“I’m sorry.” She said weakly. “I’m so sorry.” She cried as he gently placed the child back in her arms and walked out the door.

TBC... :cry:

I had to reread the whole story cause I forgot what was going on.
You have yet to mention any names. Who had the baby, who is she married to and
who is the father?
Thanks for the pm.

ok, i'd like to give a big thanks to all my readers, your encouragement always helps.
and to those of you who always read anything i write, a big huggle and promises of many more fics to come.
Thank you for reading and taking the time to say what you think.

[[Chapter 8]]

When she finally stopped crying it was almost two am. Jane was asleep in her mother’s arms, quietly snoring. Knowing she needed sleep, she got up and walked back to where their bedroom was. She saw that nothing had been moved since she was gone and it felt eerily quiet that he wasn’t there with her. Would he ever be there again? Was he gone forever? Would he ever forgive her?

Slowly walking down the hallway, she was thinking that she would have Jane sleep in the big bed with her. As she passed an open door, she briefly caught sight of what was inside. She stopped and went in, almost breaking into tears again at the sight of a fully decorated nursery. There was a crib and a changing table, a rocker in the corner and lightly color walls with little bears as a border.

He must have worked on this while she was gone. He must’ve spent hours in here, slaving away for a baby that wasn’t his. It was probably a project that kept him from worrying about her. He had done it for her, not expecting her betrayal. She felt even worse, not knowing where he was or how he felt. He probably felt betrayed, sad, angry, revengeful, and stupid. She wanted to punch herself for letting a good man like him be hurt like this.

She set Jane down in the crib, backing away and going into her bedroom to attempt to get some sleep.

~*~

She rolled over and looked at the small bedside clock, wishing that what she had just remembered was a dream. Maybe it never happened. Could it have been one long, horrible nightmare?

Not finding him next to her, she knew it was real. She had told him the truth about Jane and he left without another word. Thinking about Jane, she got out of bed and slowly made her way towards the nursery.

She was shocked to find him standing by the edge of the crib, staring down at Jane. Thinking this would be an opportunity to explain, she said the first thing that came to mind.

“I’m sorry.”

He turned around; his eyes were red like he had been crying. There were so many conflicting emotions going through him that he didn’t know what to do. He finally let one out and asked her simply.

“Why?”

“It was a mistake.” It pained him to hear her say that the darling little girl was a mistake. She wasn’t supposed to happen. “I went over to his house after our fight for some stupid reason… We were drunk… and I was mad at you…” She conceded, not daring to look at him. She didn’t want to see him in any more pain. “I’m so sorry.”

“When did you know?” He asked the next question on his mind, trying to fight off tears. He didn’t want to be angry with her. She really didn’t do wrong if they were drunk. She wasn’t herself and he knew she didn’t mean it.

“I wasn’t sure until my last doctors appointment. They did a paternity test… and… I never meant for it to happen, you have to believe me.” She pleaded, walking across the room to stand in front of him. He nodded simply, not telling her what he was thinking.

“I’m sorry.” He told her, “for making you mad. It’s my fault.” When it came right down to it, he didn’t really care Jane wasn’t his. It didn’t really matter. He loved her mother and her and, even though she wasn’t his flesh and blood, knew he wouldn’t be able to live with himself if he let either one go.

“I love you.” She said, and he took her hands in his. He bent down slightly and kissed her, forgiving her. He wrapped his arms around her, glad to have her back and never wanting to let go again.

“I love you too Sydney.”

{End}

Back