gonna try roleplaying?

It's been my experience that the actual game plot/storylines have really nothing to do with my RP. I have RPed in EVERY mmo I've played and had a ton of fun doing it. I think overall it is the player base that dictates how well RP is in a game. Rather than the environment the game provides, it is the environment that the players provide that make a game RPable. If nobody around you is in-character it's hard for you to fall in-character too. Or when you try to RP and nobody else tries it can be discouraging to the point of wanting to give up.

It all has to do with who you know and the circle you get involved in. That is one reason I suggested an RP thread on these forums, so fellow RPers can get to know others who are planning to RP, thus creating the circle. When the game starts you'll already have tons of people you know will provide the RP environment you're looking for.

Look at EQ2 and WoW for example. Playing on a regular WoW server and playing on a WoW RP server is a 100% diferent experience. Same with EQ2. I have characters on both RP and PvP servers for both games and it's almost like an entire diferent game.

But usually with RP it is the player created plots and backgrounds that drive us, and not so much the static game environment. Not saying that what the game provides isn't important and doesn't help/hinder, but at least to me it's the people that are the driving factor.

I have high hopes for HJ since it's a Sumi game. On GemstoneIII it's a no no not to be in-character. While I don't think Simu will enforce RP in HJ I do know that they will encourage and reward it heavily, and I think the long-time Simu fans and players will enforce most of it.

That said, I plan on RPing on HJ as I do in every other MMO. I know all my characters well, as I've been with them for years and years. If you find me in-game you can be sure you'll never see me out-of-character.

We'll be 80% roleplay once in game. Hard to RP without a full history of a world, cultures, etc, so we wait for game release.

I agree with Rics btw... have to say my time in DR, short as it was, I never ever saw anyone step out of character. Loved it.

Seeing how this is Simu... I look forward to seeing how much of this game is going to cater to the non-rping power gamers who look for that End Game reward concept.

for those of you who haven't really given rping a chance in game, we have a roleplaying folder in the forum for you to get your feet wet. all it really takes is your imagination. once you are in game, it gets easier and more fun. honestly, if everyone in the game does it, i may quit my job..... or not, but i will enjoy the game a lot more.

I used to play on Ultima Online RP Freeshards and really liked it. The only thing I got fed up with were RP-Facists enforcing RP on everyone even when someone had technical problems. I hope I'll never meet such people again.
The UO-Interface with the spoken text above the heads was imo more immersive than any textbox chatting that is used today. I'm a little concerned about that in HJ, but I'll just hope it works anyway.

I'm somewhat of a lore-geek and like to have references ready for my character. Especially if I play a healer/bard or bard/healer.
With your very own Hero's Journey, the game will probably add some RP for everyone, even the uber1337geeks. That's what I'm looking forward to. I'll base my character on the experiences and have only a simple and short background ready.

Greatest problem for me is the language as english is not my native tongue. Well, I hope and hope not they have german servers. German is much easier for me to RP in (naturally) but the Genglish (german english or english german), the language most WoW-Exiles speak, is one of the worst (but sometimes funny) linguistic abominations ever created. I hope none of them get there...

edit:
If Simu keeps the FFXI-sytle turn-based combat system (looked that way to me on the E3'05 video) it would definitivly help RP.

If the game sucks me in, and I can get into may character I will certainly do some RP. But I tend to be pretty picky when it comes to Races,a nd I don't seey one that really does alot for me. We'll see.

RP can also be seen as a "lead by example" situation, the more people do it, the more people will WANT to do it.

It doesnt make the l33t kids leave, but at least it makes them ignorable, lol

Xhar

I'll try my best to rp. I rp in all the MMO's I play with some limited success. The biggest being in old EQ days when a big group of us use to run player run quests and events. Good times....of course playing a character with multiple personalities gave me leway when I got made at the game hehe :smiley:.

I havn't even thought of the race I want to play as in HJ yet...need to start hitting the lore books hehe :smiley:

Originally posted by Daax@May 16 2006, 07:34 PM
Can I roleplay as a 1337 nub haxxorz kid? I want to be a little of both. ;)
I highly doubt it. I think Firedrop wants that name as well, so you'll have to fight him for it.

Other then that, for me it'll be Maseth Enis, or Frosty One...

who caught it?

Back