Google releases IM application

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Google, as expected, has released a beta version of it's new IM (Instant Messenger) application. The early talks of using Jabber as it's foundation were correct. The new IM client is a lean, stripped-down client so no smilies/emoticons or other over-head is in there.

Because it's using the Jabber protocol it means that 3rd party clients like Trillian Pro (my personal favorite) are able to connect to the Google Talk network immediately.

If you have an existing GMail account then that is your new Google Talk account as well.

For more information visit Google Hangouts.

just found out about this service whilst browsing the BBC's website.

found that you must have a gmail account, luckily my msn messenger was cluttered with contacts and a general request out got me an invite from a friend

Google Talk only has text and audio facilities. i don't particularly use services without webcam facilities to be honest.

the ability to login through trillian and the myriad of 3rd party messenger solutions is good, but i've yet to find one that is comprehensive enough for myself, by offering stable webcam facilities.

i must have got a little confues over the Jabber side of things, i almost thought for a minute that Google Talk itself would be able to draw contacts in from yahoo, aol and msn!!! but unfortunately this isn't the case right now.

i haven't used skype for a bit, it was running through various versions and it didn't have webcam, suffered high cpu usage frequently and doesn't keep your contacts on their servers! a system crash resulting in format/reinstall will have you pulling your hair out when you can't find your friends again

Mr Destructo said:
found that you must have a gmail account, luckily my msn messenger was cluttered with contacts and a general request out got me an invite from a friend
If you need an invite, just ask... I've got +/-100 of them yet! :eek:

Mr Destructo said:
Google Talk only has text and audio facilities. i don't particularly use services without webcam facilities to be honest.
I absolutely hate using chat programs for audio & video; it's what a telephone is for. Or I'm just an old geezer... take your choice. :confused:

Mr Destructo said:
the ability to login through trillian and the myriad of 3rd party messenger solutions is good, but i've yet to find one that is comprehensive enough for myself, by offering stable webcam facilities.
Check out Trillian Pro (Trillian Basic doesn't have video capabilties).

i've always been fascinated by videophones since they first became available for landlines (they cost £500 for a single unit or £900 for a pair and ran at dialup speeds obviously!)

and we live in a world of sci-fact and scifi, we frequent this community for one!! of course we are the people more likely to want and use video/audio via pc's. a telephone only goes so far (and costs a lot in the UK!) and video does not lie! having a full video conversation with your loved ones means so much more than clamping a piece of plastic to your ear. especially for those who are isolated in their homes, distanced from their family by mere miles or whole continents! my kids really appreciate having video conversations with me.

what we are talking here is fair quality and speed video with broadband access, not a mobile phone with appalling video capabilities, not dialup facilities where the video frame changes once every 7 or 8 seconds. not quite enough to need to put your makeup and sunday best on, but enough to distinguish facial features, colours, etc.

i honestly don't know what i would have done without the webcam facilities i've been using for years now :smiley:

and i have tried trillian pro before, it's not compatible with the vast ranges of webcams out there and doesn't work very nice at all. i suppose i ought to give one of the modern builds of the software another try, just to see if they've sorted some issues out yet. i think the last build i used had video working but bad AR with either msn or yahoo, audio only with the other.

I also have alot of invites for gmail if anyone would like one.:cool:

Found an interesting link after I offered the invites:flee:....... h**p://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

Billzebud, I noticed you purposely blocked out part of the URL... is it work safe or should I wait until I get home?

thats worrying. i've noticed some "scraper" search facilities off that site. wonder if they are in fact operating as they state, not collecting and keeping info on you?

the fact that google is going to keep everything you've ever done within their services till the end of time, just about, is not good at all. their policies that changed after new laws in the US came in clarify what they are doing with your actions and no one would really agree to those policies if they were approached on the street.

i used to think that if the government swallowed up the social securities computerised systems then they would have absolute power. but thats's just in the UK. now Google looks like it could swallow the whole world, information wise.

KW802 said:
Billzebud, I noticed you purposely blocked out part of the URL... is it work safe or should I wait until I get home?
sorry some of the other forums I belong to dont allow 'live links' just playing safe

Billzebud said:
sorry some of the other forums I belong to dont allow 'live links' just playing safe
As long as the link isn't for spam, it's cool.

About the site though, all I'll say about it is that it's amazing that everbody else except the site's writer interprets Google's TOS incorrectly. :rolleyes:

some of the images on Scroogle are hilarious and most likely true

umich3.gif

Back