Politics Got Blood?

I donated blood today, and it really is something to say that I saved 3 lives by doing it.

I was just wondering if any of you ever donated blood, or are considering to one day

Some quick info for you (since i'm short on time) is:
that you need to be at least 17 (with parent's consent) or older to donate, and over 110 pounds, and NOT have an iron definciency

blood is in great need all over the country, all the time, and it's a pretty easy thing to fix, if you would all just take some time to do it

in the US, blood types in the population are as follows:
O+ -> 38%
A+ -> 34%
B+ -> 9%
O- -> 7%
A- -> 6%
AB+ -> 3%
B- -> 2%
AB- -> 1%

i'll try to post more later...

but please feel free to add information, talk about blood types, and those scary/ funny fainting stories most of us have

i have a phobia of needles and i also have a weird concept that blood should be kept inside your body, not flowing out of it. i know it can save lives, but i dont like the sight of my own blood or anyone's blood for that matter.

i think im in the 9% group.

I have no idea what my blood type is. :Ph34r:

However, I can't give blood. I have an iron-deficiency problem.

But my campus has blood drives quite a bit.

Existentialist said:
But my campus has blood drives quite a bit.
[post="1231711"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
<_< Or so you think... Really it's a scheme for discussing CIA missions :P :lol:

As for me, I won't donate.. One; I don't like anything coming 'out' of my body. Needles don't seem to be the problem, cause I can get shots without a problem.. but if they even prick my finger to take a blood sample, I get light-headed. Just isn't right to remove blood intentionally :blink: Plus, there are a lot of people who end up getting blood donations that don't want them.. so I'm the little guy who represents them :thinking: Does it make sense in the grand scheme? Probably not, but since I'd pass out if I ever tried to donate anyway.. I just stick with it.

I don't quite see why people don't donate blood
I understand that some have medical and health issues
BUT everyone has extra blood in your body and it doesn't do a single bit of harm if you donate blood!
Statistics show that only THREE PERCENT of Australians donate blood
I'm quite ashamed of Australia to tell you the truth, it's pathetic
I'm only 13 but I am CERTAIN that in the future, I WILL be a blood donor

I have come a bit on the way to cure my phobia of needles, by donating blood.

When you go to the bloodbank and tell that you are extremly afraid, but still want to do that simple thing to save peoples life, they are really gentle and easy with you. For me, it's ok now with needles, even if I don't LIKE them. I have been a donor for about five years now, and every time it's a little bit easier. It helps when you know you are doing good... As long as I don't have to look at the needle and my blood flowing out :smiley:

If you don't have a health or medical condition, there's absolutely NO reason not to donate blood. It could be you in the hospital needing blood some day...

exactly!

it isn't that big deal, giving blood, i mean. and so many people need blood. sure they need organs but blood. it's like air, you NEED it. and I just don't understand why more people don't donate!

aliasundercover said:
<_< Or so you think... Really it's a scheme for discussing CIA missions  :P  :lol:

As for me, I won't donate.. One; I don't like anything coming 'out' of my body.  Needles don't seem to be the problem, cause I can get shots without a problem.. but if they even prick my finger to take a blood sample, I get light-headed.  Just isn't right to remove blood intentionally  :blink: Plus, there are a lot of people who end up getting blood donations that don't want them.. so I'm the little guy who represents them  :thinking: Does it make sense in the grand scheme?  Probably not, but since I'd pass out if I ever tried to donate anyway.. I just stick with it.
[post="1231808"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

:lol: Nice idea, but the blood drives take place in buildings, not that van.

There are people out there who get blood donations that they don't want? That's ridiculous. Unless they don't want to live, they should be thankful. Of course, if it's for religious reasons...

Which I don't understand. But hey, they probably don't understand some of the things I do or don't do.

stunningly
because i was stationed in
germany from 1990-93
the american red cross will
not accept my blood
something about a possible
mad cow scare or something
during that time in europe
(but after 9/11 i missed that restriction on the

d

wow! that's bizarre :blink:

i would love to donate blood, i have o positive which i think, can mix with any blood. but there are 2 problems... A) i'm only 15 and B) i'm scared to death of needles- they give me the willies :hide: and i have to get 2 needles next week :(

I'd like do donate blood when I'm older, but at the moment I'm drifting in and out of anaemia so...*shrugs*.

How often can you donate blood?

How long does it take for your body to replace the blood taken?

Jai :rain:

I'm okay with needles, since I get blood taken out of me every once in a while (maybe once or twice a year??) to be tested. & it'll be like 10 of those vial things which is freakish/scary to look at, but it's all good. && my school has about 3 blood drives a year, but I cannot donate for the following reasons:

1. I'm only 15 right now.
2. I'm under the weight requirement, & will not gain 20+ pounds just for the hell of it.
3. I currently have anemia, an iron definiciency thing.

So, as you can see, I can't donate, otherwise, I probably would.

I can't donate because I have suffered from severe anaemia for the last ten years, I am under the weight requirement, and I have a tendency to faint! :lol:
Not because I'm scared of the needles (if you get an experienced nurse you hardly even feel it), just because I am weird and react badly to a lot of things.

I feel bad though because there is such a huge shortage of blood.

[quote name='Vaughn's Baby Girl' date='Feb 25 2005, 10:24 PM']i would love to donate blood, i have o positive which i think, can mix with any blood. but there are 2 problems... A) i'm only 15 and B) i'm scared to death of needles- they give me the willies  :hide: and i have to get 2 needles next week  :(
[post="1232818"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
[/quote]

Do as I did (when you get older);
I really wanted to pierce my bellybutton but was freaked out about needles. To practice, I got to the blood bank and gave blood for the first time (I was about 20 at the time). The nurses were really gentle and nice and it was scary, but OK. Then I got the curage to go to the piercing studio, and with a little help from a friend I got my ring. It helps if you have a goal to reach for when to get rid of a phobia.

Still I'm freaked about needles inside the mouth at the dentist, but needles everywhere is OK by now (if not something I look forward to). But to give blood is more important to me than to be scared...

I was really afraid of needles before, and i would always faint at the sight of blood, but then i went to give blood with some friends at the Red Cross, and it was great! It doesnt even really hurt, and they give you cookies!
Ever since then, i havent been afraid of needles at all. And i plan to give blood more in the future.

i havent donated blood - one reason is because i have this phobia of needles...

but even if i didnt - they alwasy told me that you had to be 115 pounds to donate in which case i dont make the weight requirement....

I can do the second drive Junior year...:D...we have two or three blood drives at my school each year. I have absolutely no problem if the nurse can find my veins. Otherwise I don't have a problem. I believe I am O+...

I have donated before. I'm one of the A types, though I forget which one I am.

I was really glad I did it, even if it made me kind of dizzy (but not until I was at home).

I really should donate again soon. Finding the time is hard though.

ETA: I'm A Negative. I just looked at my blood donor card.

Back