Gothic 3

I have never played its predecessors, however, I read an article about Gothic 3 in PC Gamer a couple months back which piqued my interest.

Yesterday, I saw the Demo available at FilePlanet, so I grabbed it.

If you liked OBLIVION, this should appeal to you. I planned to check out the demo for a few minutes before going back to my NWN2 campaign, but I ended up playing all night, and I can't wait to play further. It has a lot of what made Oblivion great, but also improves in areas I felt were lacking in oblivion. I feel a much greater level of immersion than I did in Oblivion, for some reason. I only wish it were not just a single player game. This would make a great MMORPG

2.jpg

Gothic 3, the latest entry in the globally successful role-playing saga, offers players a nonlinear, open-ended role-playing adventure with an enthralling story that presents an extremely detailed simulation of environment and human behavior.

The Story
Players saved their home island Khorinis from the forces of evil in Gothic and Gothic 2. Now it is time to travel to the realms of the mainland, where invading Orcs have enslaved the human kingdom. There are only a few free humans living in the nearly uninhabitable icy northlands of Nordmar and in the southern desert of Varrant, and a handful of rebels hiding in the mountainous forests of the Middle Realm. Players can choose to join the rebellion and stay true to the deposed human king, serve the Orcish usurpers in their quest to topple the last remaining human stronghold, or choose a path that serves their own ends. Every decision made will have an impact on the game world and tip the balance of power. There is no simple linear story in Gothic 3 - every game will be different and unique, with the player ultimately deciding the fate of humankind.

Features

* Huge free-roaming, hand-crafted world with no loading times once you are in the game
* All new combat system that allows unprecedented control over melee attacks
* Clear, non-linear objectives within the main story allow the player to influence the outcome of the narrative
* Living world where the player's interactions with characters have a dramatic impact on gameplay
* Engrossing storyline driven by the player's choices
* Countless side-quests for the player to explore
* More than 50 different monsters and dozens of human enemies
* A host of powerful spells and a huge variety of weapons
* Advanced and complex human behavior AI for hundreds of individual characters, all featuring high quality audio dialogues
* Unique class-free character development -- the absence of rigid character classes means players can choose to train their character with a wide variety of military and magical powers
* Soundtrack by the Bochum Symphony Orchestra, a world class orchestra from Bochum, Germany

I had been watching this for awhile and lost track of it the past month or so. So the demo's out?? Hmmm looks like another game to keep me inside this winter.

I really WANT to like this game, but too many bugs, crappy performance, bad voice acting (german version), ugly animations and a flat-out boring combat system ruins it for me. It wasn't even playable before patch 1.08. I don't know which version was released to the global market, but the german version (game developed by german studio) was an insolence (hope I got the context for the word right) and an insult to every buyer.

I know nothing about the German version. The Demo version released to the U.S. was a blast to play. I had no technical issues with it, performance or bug related.

After a week or so, I just finished playing and exploring every bit of the Demo. I definitely plan to pick this title up.

Back