Grades

For everyone who ever went to school or is in school now, how are/were your grades?

• Straight-A's. Uh-huh. I am one smart cookie!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mostly A's with the occasional B. I'm still really smart!

• A nice blend of A's and B's. I'm smart, but not a geek!

• Mostly B's, but every now and then an A. Not the best in my class, but hey.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • B's. Period. I get B's.

• Usually B's, but sometimes I slip and get a C. Eww...

• Mostly C's. But at my peak I can get a B!

• C's and D's. You know 'C' is considered average, right?

• Lemme just say... well... D's and F's.

• I am a failure! *sniffs* F's! I get nothing but F's!

• Total voters
Tenderbear said:
In the US, some schools give out "E"s instead of Fs. I think it's so the student doesn't feel to awful about their grade. :D
[post="1215870"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
They did that at my high school in Australia too (high school for me was grades 7 - 10).

Tenderbear said:
In the US, some schools give out "E"s instead of Fs. I think it's so the student doesn't feel to awful about their grade. :D
[post="1215870"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I don't understandh ow that could make anyone feel better. Because the fact of the matter remains that you got the lowest grade possible. Who cares what its called.

I agree. It's like the argument saying to use purple pens instead of red pens to mark papers.

It's supposed to limit the emotional trauma of a bad paper. But if we switch to purple, it'll just become the new red.
Sort of like the E will become the new F.

In my school it was because 'F' stands for 'Fail', whereas E doesn't really stand for anything. So 'nobody's a failure'.

Stupid, I know.

Here we don't even have 'F' grades at university. In fact, we don't have that kind of grading system at all.

I"m gonna push for the academic community to adopt the same grading system that's used to grade the O.W.L.s (for all you Harry Potter fans) Because at least then the ltters stand for something:

O for Outstanding, the highest grade
E for Exceeds Expectations
A for Acceptable, the highest passing grade
P for Poor
D for Dreadful
T for Troll

Xin LI

xinli11 said:
I"m gonna push for the academic community to adopt the same grading system that's used to grade the O.W.L.s (for all you Harry Potter fans)  Because at least then the ltters stand for something:

O for Outstanding, the highest grade
E for Exceeds Expectations
A for Acceptable, the highest passing grade
P for Poor
D for Dreadful
T for Troll

Xin LI
[post="1218025"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

:lol: that's funny! and appropriate! ;) what's grade Troll btw? (sorry, not much of a Harry Potter fan)

starrynic said:
:lol: that's funny! and appropriate! ;) what's grade Troll btw? (sorry, not much of a Harry Potter fan)
[post="1218030"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

A troll is a really large creature.. But what it has in body size, it lacks in brains. It's only like one level above an egg plant in terms of intelligence. Did you see the first harry potter movie? remember the scene in the bathroom where Hermione was trapped by this giant creature with a club? That's a troll.

Xin Li

xinli11 said:
A troll is a really large creature.. But what it has in body size, it lacks in brains.  It's only like one level above an egg plant in terms of intelligence.  Did you see the first harry potter movie? remember the scene in the bathroom where Hermione was trapped by this giant creature with a club?  That's a troll.

Xin Li
[post="1218069"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Hehe I know what a troll is, I just didn't get how it can be used as a grade? and that part you're saying it's only one level above an egg plant in terms of intelligence cracked me up! 😆 now I get it, thanks! ;)

And you know what's really sad? I probably know more about how the educational system works in Harry Potter, and about the different classes they ahve to take and the requirements then I do about say the educational system of Canada.

XIn Li

xinli11 said:
And you know what's really sad?  I probably know more about how the educational system works in Harry Potter, and about the different classes they ahve to take and the requirements then I do about say the educational system of Canada.

XIn Li
[post="1218077"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

LOL, well I guess that's normal, coz we naturally have more attachment and interest in something we're interested in rather than in something we only need to know. I prolly know more about Jen Garner's school life, which schools she went to than which schools my prime minister went to haha :lol:

I picked D's and F's cause that's what I should be getting. Actually, I probably should be getting Z's. But that's not an option, is it? :P

In my opinion, and granted it's not a popular one, school (and life) is all about balance. Get an A in the classes you care about, get a B or a C in some of the other ones. I hear so much absolute felgercarb almost daily about GPAs and class ranks and preparing for college that it just makes me sick. My friends who cry and sob for hours when they get an A make me crazy. But it's their life. They can give themselves stress attacks before they turn forty if they so wish.

I just believe in having fun. Live in the present, as so the saying goes. Of course, my advice may be null and void seeing as I failed a class on purpose during freshman year. And of course, I like to turn in clearly A papers now and then just to confuse the hell out of my teachers. As I said, balance is a very important element. ;)

I don't think I've replied to this thread yet. I hope not. This is what I got at semester (about a month and half ago).

3.667 (it would be a 4.0 w/o AP BIO!!!!!! ><)

English 3H- B (but it's really an A with the extra grade point)
Pre-Calculus- B (but it's also really an A with the extra grade point from AP U.S. History...:lol:smiley:
AP Bio- C (well it's my fault for taking AP Bio)
Journalism- A
Spanish 2- A (103%!!! :woot:)
AP U.S. History- A

I got As and Bs in highschool...and the occaisional C...stupid humanities which doesn't get a 6.0 credit.

But I must honestly say that college classes are sooo much easier (at least for me). More study time and less class time. It's really nice. And last semester I ended up with all As and a B+...so I was very happy about that. :smiley:

I your average student. Mostly A's some B's and a few C's. Oh and one F! That was in Spanish. It was only because I never bothered to go. Oops did I just admit that on the worldwide Internet? :angelic: :hide:

Let's see, for me, I got straight A's all through middle school and the first year in high school...then 10th and 11th grade hit and that's when colleges look at your grades too! I got mostly A's 10th year with the exception of the B in AP Chem - that was SUCH a hard class to get an A in. I swear, i got <60% in all of my tests, and yet, i still wonder how on Earth I got such a solid B... Now, this year (SO FAR):

Photo:A (no stresser)
French: 7/8 : A- (I should be able to do better, think its just me slacking off...)
History: A (seems like that class is pass(A) or fail(F) :D )
English: A
Pre-Calc: A- (darn! I hate those hard tests that make up practially all of your grade)
AP Bio: B+ (grr)

So mostly A's with some B's...but now our teachers are doing pass or fail this quarter because of work to contract thing at our school

In high school, I got a couple B's and a C (in Pre-Calculus). In college, I got all A's except for one B - and that was in a stupid Basketball class. Stupid Physical Education Requirement! Whatever. I still graduated Summa Cum Laude.

Eh.... if I can remember my grades on my last Report Card (I'm not in HS yet so I've got all the stupid regular classes)

Math- 91% (Whoot! I usually get 85%'s in that class)
English- 96% I think
Science- 92%
Social Studies- 97%
Reading- 95%
Band- A
Chorus- A
Health- A

I used to get D's and F's but I've finally buckled down this year for 8th grade and got As and Bs but sometimes slip and get Cs but I've done so much better this year :D ^_^

Back