Great Reviews for New Fantasy

Victrix

Cadet
Well, I know it's shameless self-promotion, but I figure you can easily ignore this if you feel offended... :D

interregnumsmall.jpg

My novel Interregnum (a historical fantasy epic with a flavour of late Rome) has been getting excellent reviews, including this:

fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com

I am currently spreading the word. Good reviews have been received on GoodReads.com and on Barnes & Noble and if you like gritty, often violent epic fantasy, give Interregnum a try and I believe you'll be grateful you did.

More info on my website at www.sjaturney.co.uk

Enjoy, and sincere apologies if I've offended anyone with a little advertising.

Victrix, welcome to our community!

So, without making us go to another website :P, what can you tell us about Interregnum? For example, what the heck does the title mean?

Hi Kevin.

No problem. An Interregnum is a period (usually of anarchy) between the end of one ruling line and the start of another.

There seem to be rather a lot of non-fiction works with Interregnum in the title when I search for it anywhere.

Think I first heard the word in relation to the English Civil War from my history tutor. It has such a nice ring to it.

:smiley:

Si

Hi Kevin.

No problem. An Interregnum is a period (usually of anarchy) between the end of one ruling line and the start of another.

There seem to be rather a lot of non-fiction works with Interregnum in the title when I search for it anywhere.

Think I first heard the word in relation to the English Civil War from my history tutor. It has such a nice ring to it.
Thanks for the explanation. :cool: That might be one of those words that I have come across but don't consciously remember it; from the usage of it I suspect I likely came across it at some point.

Interregnum

It's also what Britain is going through now, decline and fall of Empire, bread and circuses, dark age, and then...?

Now there's an interesting theme for a SF story.

:cool:

True enough Worldmaker. I've likened the UK to late Republican Rome many times.

In Rome, in 509BC, the King was overthrown and a Republic established. For 400 years the Republic worked and then slid into chaos, depravity and corruption. So one man took charge and overthrew the Republic, hauling Rome out of Chaos and giving the Empire over a millenium of new life.

In the UK we had a republican revolution in the 1640s, got rid of a King and instituted a 'democratic' system. For nearly 400 years it sort of 'worked' but has now slid into chaos, depravity and corruption. Anyone see where I'm going with this?

Sadly, I'm a Roman History nut, so I tend to ramble on the subject until people fall asleep or leave the room. My other novel is a sort of 'Sharpe' in Julius Caesar's army.

Victrix,

I'm a bit of a history buff too, not as in-depth as most, I spend the other time in the future, and use it all for my writings, but the trend in history of human civilization appears to be the same around the world, rise of bureaucracies result in fall of empires.

Indeed. I'm also a staunch Royalist and a Yorkshireman to the core. I've been advocating a second English civil war for years. About time we did something about the country. May have to watch V for Vendetta again tonight, methinks.

Indeed. I'm also a staunch Royalist and a Yorkshireman to the core. I've been advocating a second English civil war for years. About time we did something about the country. May have to watch V for Vendetta again tonight, methinks.

I think the civil war cycle (what a theme for a series of SF novels!?) is about every couple of hundred years?

War of the Roses, Civil War, American War of Independence (if that counts as a British Civil War).

It's a way of cleansing the old bureaucracy and paving the way for a new reformation/enlightenment/whatever.

Of course it doesn't have to be a violent war, but it will purge the old to make way for the new.

You go and have a good lie down and mull your blank pages over, I've just found one of my one short stories on my PC.

Must dust it off, when I have time....

:smiley:

Interregnum continues to sell. For those of you who love dark, grungy, military fantasy with a leaning towards war and politics it might be for you. If not, my Roman History novel, Marius' Mules continues to Outsell Interregnum! Check the reviews on Amazon to be convinced.

However, this is about new work. My second fantasy work, "Ironroot" is almost complete, with one chapter to go. Set in the same world as Interregnum, but 20 years later, this is something more in the personal vein, with a soldier hunting down the man who ruined his life and uncovering a conspiracy. Read the first 3 chapters here:

http://sjat.wordpress.com/ironroot

If you've read MM or Int, please do let me know what you think.

Thanks folks.

Si

The parallels between the Late Roman Empire and the present Western Democracies are rather scary and very obvious if you take the trouble to read up. Well done with your writing.

Back