Greetings from Bud Brewster - your oldest "new member"!

BudBrewster

Captain
Greetings, folks.

I apologize for taking five years to make my first post. I rediscovered Cool SciFi today while looking for science fiction message boards using Google. I found several, but none I liked as much as Cool SciFi. So I had the bright idea that I should join.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered I was already a member -- and I had joined in 2008!

I'm the site administrator of sci-fi message board which I won't name until I find out if this board allows it. We've got dozens of members who joined over the years but then never posted a thing. It used to annoy me.

Now I understand it a little better. :D

Welcome BudBrewster.

Your post got caught up in our moderation filter, it 'may' have been something to do with the text in your third paragraph. I'll let Kev comment on that when he sees this.

You'll have noted that our site has 90% function to non-members, and membership is a really good way of remembering where we are over the years, a xmas or birthday message, etc. Things come and go, but we're still here :smiley:

Welcome to the forum. I must confess that I am rather puzzled at the lack of activity on this forum. I am a member of many other forums on the Internet which cater to a much more specific target audience and yet there is much more activity.

One would think that a science fiction forum would have a far greater appeal and attract many more people. The silence of this forum surprises me.

I know just what you mean, Martian. My own board is devoted to all forms of science fiction, just like this one. But it has a smaller number of members and a fraction of the activity as two other boards I know of, one of which is for fans of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and the other is for fans of The Twilight Zone!

One thing which this board and the other two I mentioned above have in common is good organization. Cool SciFi is well structured and easy to navigate. I've seen numerous boards which force their members to stumble through a labyrinth of forums and sub-forums and sub-sub-forums -- all of which have cutesy names like Catina Corner Table or Captain's Personal Log -- none of which give us a clue about what the forum is about!

Cool SciFi doesn't play that game, and I'm damned grateful. The forums here are often one-word titles like Movies, Television, and Books. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure those out, right?

In conclusion, gents and droids, I'd like to state for the record that Cool SciFi is an island of sanity in a sea of cyber madness! (Okay, maybe that's a bit too florid, but you get the idea. I like it here and I think I'll stop by often. :smiley:)

Bud

Greetings, folks.

I apologize for taking five years to make my first post. I rediscovered Cool SciFi today while looking for science fiction message boards using Google. I found several, but none I liked as much as Cool SciFi. So I had the bright idea that I should join.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered I was already a member -- and I had joined in 2008!
So I guess this is a belated Welcome! :D (y)

I'm the site administrator of sci-fi message board which I won't name until I find out if this board allows it. We've got dozens of members who joined over the years but then never posted a thing. It used to annoy me.
We're pretty much laid back; links in sigs & the occasional mention is fine but posts that are blatant ads for competing sites or link spamming (eg: posts like "Hey, if you like Star Wars then come visit our site at...") will catch our attention.

Your post got caught up in our moderation filter, it 'may' have been something to do with the text in your third paragraph. I'll let Kev comment on that when he sees this.
We're using the vB option of bumping posts up against Akismet and that is where they are being flagged. From what I'm seeing of Bud's posts nothing is catching my personal attention but for some reason Akismet says otherwise.

You'll have noted that our site has 90% function to non-members, and membership is a really good way of remembering where we are over the years, a xmas or birthday message, etc. Things come and go, but we're still here :smiley:
Yep, the slow & steady approach. As long as I can do it, the site will be here.

One would think that a science fiction forum would have a far greater appeal and attract many more people. The silence of this forum surprises me.
Honestly, I am my own worst enemy in that I don't spent enough time spreading the word about Cool Sci-Fi. Ask me to figure out a difficult software problem and I'm happy but ask to do promotions and I'm all thumbs.

FYI for Bud :smiley:
We're using the vB option of bumping posts up against Akismet and that is where they are being flagged. From what I'm seeing of Bud's posts nothing is catching my personal attention but for some reason Akismet says otherwise.
I've lowered the posts count setting to a number lower than Bud's current post count so that his account isn't subject to the automated spam checks. In the several years we've been using Akismet there have been a few false positives on individual posts but this is the first time where one account was being consistently flagged regardless of their posts content. Very odd but Bud shouldn't have problems posting going forward. :smiley:

Just to update this thread a little, All Sci-Fi moved to a new server and acquired a new domain name back in January 2018, so here's the link to the board now.

All Sci-Fi

And check out the enthusiastic promotional thread I posted recently to tell the folks at All Sci-Fi about this terrific board! :cool:

Alien Soup - a remarkable message board!

Please don't consider All Sci-Fi a "competing site". Message boards are vanishing from the web, and we need to encourage the people who still love to discuss this genre in the "message board" format to actively support ALL the ones who are still hanging on!

That's why I'm working hard to restore and update the MULTI-BOARD ALPHABETICAL INDEX which contains thousands of movie titles, with the threads on various message boards below each title.

Here's a sample. (Notice that the title is a link to the IMDB listing.)

* Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

Colossus: The Forbin Project @ SFMB

Colossus: the Forbin Project (1970) @ All Sci-Fi

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970) @ Alien Soup

Colossus - The Forbin Project @ Nautilus Submarine

Colossus:The Forbin Project @ CHFB

I'm currently making my way through all 77 pages in the MOVIES forum of Alien Soup and compiling a list of the threads that will be added to the INDEX. I'm up to page 25 and I already have almost 200 threads from Alien Soup to add! That means I'll have about 600 threads when I finish the list!

It will take me a several more weeks to complete and post the entire INDEX on All Sci-Fi, but I'm about halfway finished already, and you guys can enjoy the first 18 sections I've already posted.

Together we can prevent message boards from being replaced by (dare I say it . . . ) Facebook!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Bud, be sure to check out the horror section.

Finding it hard to sell Sci-Fi forums to our crew, seems horror fans ain't digging on the genre which is a surprise given how many horror movies step into Sci-Fi realms. We even have a forum link to here, so you would think occasionally people would actually click on that rather than demanding we add forums, not about to do that anytime soon as we are caught up currently in trying our hand at podcasting; we had five hours worth of in depth reviews and arguments on the Alien franchise, which was awesome till our editor tried to do the music overloads and discovered someone didn't hit the record button :banghead:

Am trying to spend a lot more time here but am caught up with work, study, and coding up our new look site.

That's exciting news about the podcasts. Good luck with that.!

I hope that my efforts to promote Alien Soup will result in a noticeable boost in activity. This boards is one of the most well organized and info-rich on the web. :D

By the way, could you please fix my embarrassing typo in the title of the When Worlds Collide thread I started a few years ago? I placed an apostrophe in "Worlds" by mistake. There's no edit button anymore, so I can change it.

Sci-Fi - When World's Collide (1951)

Thanks!

Back