Greg Grunberg Interview

Cast News

Official News Poster
This is just part of the article, if you wish to read more, visit the link. :smiley:

GameSpy

Criminally Minded
Greg Grunberg Q&A (PS3)
Actor Greg Grunberg discusses his role in Condemned: Criminal Origins.
By Paul Semel | Nov. 1, 2005

They said, it's good to have friends in high places, and no one knows this better than actor Greg Grunberg. Though he's appeared in such movies as Austin Powers In Goldmember, BASEketball, and Malibu's Most Wanted, and on such shows as NYPD Blue, Murphy Brown, and Melrose Place, he's actually best known for parts he got from his friend J.J. Abrams, who created the TV shows Alias, Felicity, and Lost, and then cast his pal "Grunny" as Agent Weiss in the first one, Sean Blumberg in the second, and a monster's snack in the third. But Grunberg has many friends, including one who helped him get another role: that of Agent Thomas in Sega's first-person fright-fest, Condemned: Criminal Origins.

GameSpy: How did you get the lead role in this game?
Greg Grunberg: I have a really good friend named Tom Ham who's a freelance video game journalist. He's really well connected in the business, he knows everybody, and he had mentioned my name to some people about doing voices for games because I've been trying to break into the world of voiceovers for a long time. So he mentioned my name to some people at Sega [the publisher of Condemned] and Monolith [the developer], who, it turned out, were fans of Alias, so they had me come down during E3 to meet them and to have them show me the game, which really blew me away. So they sent me some of the lines, which I recorded and sent back to them, and it was exactly what they were looking for.

GameSpy: Your friend J.J. Abrams is a big gamer. What did he say when you told him you were doing this?
Greg Grunberg: He thought it was the best thing ever. And it is, it's totally cool to be in a video game.

GameSpy: Is that how Michael Vartan [Grunny's friend and former Alias co-star] reacted as well?
Greg Grunberg: Yeah. Michael and I play games against each other all the time. We play racing games and hockey games on the PSP against each other.

GameSpy: So, if being in a game is so cool, why didn't you do the Alias game?
Greg Grunberg: They didn't ask me to. I think they had a limited number of characters from the show they could use in the game. But to me, Alias was a disappointing game. It didn't grab me.

GameSpy: Speaking of J.J., you're doing Mission: Impossible III, which he's written and is directing. Has there been any talk of making a game out of that?
Greg Grunberg: I only have a small part in the movie, so I don't know if there has been or not. Though I do know that J.J. would jump at the chance to do one if he could.

Back