"Grey" Spin-Off: "Private Practice"

Alias_Gay

Ensign
'Anatomy' May Spin Off Addison
Report says back-door pilot for Walsh in works

Kate Walsh has had a bit of a roller-coaster ride in her time on "Grey's Anatomy," acting her way through a couple of love triangles, numerous medical crises and, currently, a bout of unresolved romantic tension with one of her interns.

All the ups and downs could, however, have a pretty big payoff for the actress: her own show.

ABC and "Grey's Anatomy" creator are considering a spinoff of the show that would focus on Walsh's character, neonatal surgeon Addison Montgomery. The network isn't commenting, but The Wall Street Journal reports that Rhimes is working on an idea to spin off Addison.

The details of that idea are scant at the moment; the Journal says Rhimes has yet to settle on plot details such as whether Addison would leave Seattle. She is, however, planning a May sweeps episode that would focus on Addison and serve as a back-door pilot for the new show.

Should that happen, it would likely push another Rhimes project, about a group of female journalists in New York, on to the back burner.

Character-based spinoffs are hardly a lock to succeed -- for every "Frasier" there's at least one "Joey" -- but a show born of "Grey's Anatomy" would probably have a better chance than most. The draws 20 million viewers per week, and only "American Idol" has better ratings in the adults 18-49 demographic that advertisers covet.

Walsh joined "Grey's Anatomy" in the show's first-season finale, becoming the third side of a love triangle also involving her TV husband, Dr. Derek Shepherd (Patrick Dempsey) and Seattle Grace intern Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo). She became a regular midway through last season.

Her credits also include "Under the Tuscan Sun," "The Drew Carey Show" and "Kicking & Screaming."

Taye Diggs in for 'Grey's' Spinoff

'Day Break' star signs for back-door pilot

Taye Diggs is catching another break at ABC.

Diggs, who starred in the network's short-lived series "Day Break" earlier this season, will guest star in an episode of "Grey's Anatomy" later this season that will also serve as a back-door pilot for a possible spinoff series. Separately, the show will also have Hector Elizondo ("Chicago Hope," "The Princess Diaries") as a guest star.

ABC isn't offering up any information about Diggs' character (and also neglects to mention he starred in one of its shows not three months ago). The would-be spinoff will focus on Kate Walsh's character, neonatal surgeon Addison Montgomery; The Hollywood Reporter says the two-hour episode, planned for May sweeps, will have her on the verge of leaving Seattle.

Diggs recently signed a holding deal with ABC Television Studio (formerly Touchstone TV), which produces "Grey's Anatomy," and his production company also has a relationship with the studio.

In addition to "Day Break," Diggs' recent credits include the feature-film version of "Rent," UPN's "Kevin Hill" and a guest arc on "Will & Grace."

Elizondo, meanwhile, will appear in a separate episode as Callie's (Sara Ramirez) father. The Emmy-winning actor, whose long list of credits also includes "Pretty Woman," "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three" and the forthcoming "Love in the Time of Cholera," is currently filming his episode, but an airdate hasn't been set.

So what do you guys think? will you watch if the spin-off is really coming to ABC???

i'm really upset about it. addison is my favourite character and i really don't want her to leave the show, even though she'll get her own.
i think it's a bad idea. i think both the spin off and grey's will sort of go down the tubes.

I like Addison but I don't know how well a spinoff would work, but this is Grey's Anatomy which is an aweosme and very popular show so it could get good ratings. I'm not really going to get an opinion about it until it's confirmed and not just a rumour ;)

:(

I have a bad feeling about this. I love Addison, I love Grey's Anatomy, but spin offs tend to... well...suck, no matter how good the show. Just look at "Joey."

I wish people would stop recycling old plots and characters and just create something new. Like Heroes. God I love this show, and so does most of America, simply because its new, fresh, and exciting. I'm very nervous about this whole idea.

:(

I have a bad feeling about this. I love Addison, I love Grey's Anatomy, but spin offs tend to... well...suck, no matter how good the show. Just look at "Joey."

I wish people would stop recycling old plots and characters and just create something new. Like Heroes. God I love this show, and so does most of America, simply because its new, fresh, and exciting. I'm very nervous about this whole idea.

yeah Heroes is so good ... (y)

btw Abby I love your signature slide :thud:

oh and did you guys know that NBC is re-making "Bionic Woman" for next season's pilot pick-up ...

I don't really love the idea but I will give this a chance.. I think it's a bit early to make a spin off.

Her character has grown on me. I used to dislike her, when she came back and "destroyed" Mer/Der. But now she has evolved into a very interesting character, a character that could hold up her own show. Meredith, as the "main" character on GA is getting pretty boring IMO.
But as you said, spinoffs are rarely good, so I don't know what I want.

I think this spin-off will work out fine if ABC knows how to do it ... hopefully they won't put it up on thursays, so not to overdo the viewers interest in medical drama's ...

maybe sunday nights after "Desperates HouseWives" ...

Exclusive: Grey's 2.0 Chooses its Host City!

The mystery surrounding the setting of the Grey's Anatomy spin-off has been solved — by me!!

Per one very well-placed mole, the hospital where Addison will accept her new job will be located in (drumroll, please… ) Los Angeles! That's right, Doc Montgomery's going Hollywood!

Which makes perfect sense given what else I know about the top-secret offshoot. Sources confirm that plastic surgery and psychiatry (two L.A. staples) will play as prominent roles in the show as Addison's chosen field of neonatology. In fact, according to a source who read the script for the pilot, er, I mean the "enhanced two-hour Grey's episode with a potential for afterlife," there are multiple scenes set in a shrink's office and another scene involving a pampered Beverly Hills princess contemplating a chemical peel with her hot plastic surgeon (Tim Daly, perhaps?).

Oh, and my spy also points out the show takes advantage of its setting in another way. "There's sex, sex and more sex," whispers my mole. "I thought I was reading an episode of Nip/Tuck!"

OK, just to recap, here's what we currently know about Grey's 2.0:

Who: Kate Walsh, Tim Daly, Taye Diggs, Amy Brenneman, Chris Lowell, Merrin Dungey and Paul Addelstein.

What: Grey's Anatomy spin-off. I mean "enhanced two-hour Grey's episode with a potential for... " Oh, forget it. Grey's spin-off.

Where: Los Angeles.

When: Special two-hour May sweeps episode of Grey's "with potential... " No, I'm just not typing that again.

Why: Mo' money, natch!

Got this from the Ausiello Report ... (y)

Details on the 'Grey's Anatomy' Spinoff
Walsh's character may find herself in familiar territory
By Maria Elena Fernandez, Los Angeles Times

March 29, 2007

Kate Walsh of 'Grey's Anatomy'Wanna hear a secret? No, not the Oprah/Law of Attraction kind. But the juicy, exclusive, behind-the scenes kind, from an insider who offers insight into the much-buzzed about "Grey's Anatomy" spin-off.

ABC and creator Shonda Rhimes have been so hush-hush about the "enhanced" two-hour "Grey's" May episode -- which will introduce a new life for Kate Walsh's Dr. Addison Montgomery -- that during a development presentation with advertisers last week, the cast of the new show was trotted on stage but were not allowed to divulge any details.

So we will:

Following her recent disastrous romantic misfortunes, Addison travels to Santa Monica, Calif., to seek advice from her old medical school pals, Naomi (Merrin Dungey) and Jackson (Taye Diggs) whom she believes have it all: a beautiful teenage daughter, a great marriage and a highly successful health cooperative.

Addison quickly learns that Jackson, also a successful TV health guru, has divorced Naomi. During the visit, Addison also meets the rest of the gang at the cooperative: a widowed alternative medicine doctor, a self-doubting therapist, and a male gynecologist who knows little about women, and realizes she is on familiar ground.

Addison concludes that the personal lives of the people around her may be a mess, but professionally they stand out. (Sounds like those crazy interns, right?) So she decides to leave Seattle Grace behind and join the Oceanside Wellness Group team.

That is, of course, if ABC picks up the series, which is a good bet since the cast -- which also includes Chris Lowell ("Veronica Mars"), Amy Brenneman ("Judging Amy"), Tim Daly ("The Nine") and Paul Adelstein ("Prison Break") -- was already paraded before the people with the big bucks.

Thanks to Zap2it.com

"Private Practice" is the name of the show, and ABC just announced it will be on for next fall ... with a Wednesday night's time-slot at 9pm :woot:

ABC's 'Practice' Not Yet Perfect
McPherson says 'work to do' to refine 'Grey's' spinoff by Rick Porter
May 15, 2007

NEW YORK -- ABC liked what it saw of the "Grey's Anatomy" spinoff to give the show a spot on its fall schedule. Just like any other pilot, though, "Private Practice" is not yet a finished product.

Despite big ratings earlier this month for the two-hour "Grey's" that set up the new show, ABC Entertainment chief Stephen McPherson acknowledged that there is "some work to do" on the show before it hits the air at the start of the 2007-08 season.

"What you suffer from in a pilot, especially this, which was not really a pilot but a hybrid kind of introduction, is you're introducing all the characters," McPherson said Tuesday at a press conference about ABC's lineup for next season. "I think it spent a lot of time introducing the characters and not as much time on stories.

"[Creator Shonda Rhimes] had a lot of stories she wanted to tell, but unfortunately that would have taken three to four hours."

McPherson is confident, though, that Rhimes will be able to move past that hurdle once "Private Practice" starts production. "What Shonda does brilliantly, I think, is the conflict between people and the reality of that," he says. "I think you'll see a lot more of that as it goes along."

"Private Practice," which will air on Wednesdays, centers on "Grey's" star Kate Walsh and also stars Tim Daly, Merrin Dungey and Taye Diggs. Walsh's character, neonatal surgeon Addison Montgomery, is leaving Seattle to work with an old friend (Dungey) in Los Angeles. McPherson promises the show won't simply be "Grey's Anatomy," take two.

"We're not doing an imitation of 'Grey's' -- it's really a show about these young interns who know nothing ... and have grown into this world. ['Private Practice'] is a world where people actually know each other really well in some cases, and what is that adult relationship that exists when you know people really well, all the complications of that."

Back