Feedback Group topics by genre (Sci-Fi, Horror, etc.) or by media (Movies, TV, books, etc.)?

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Please give your opinions!

Something that has been on the back of my mind for a while now is "Do we keep dedicated forums for Movies / TV / Books or do we break apart those forums and move the threads into the general Sci-Fi & Fantasy and (now) Horror forums so that everything sci-fi related, for example, is in the same forum? If we do that, what about misc. movies & TV shows that we talk about also?"

With the recent addition of the ScaryMinds horror forum this is the perfect time for changes. :whistle: I'm kind of leaning towards genre based forums (all horror together, and so on) but what do we do with the misc. stuff like dramas, comedies, and so on?

FEEDBACK/SUGGESTIONS:
It all depends upon CoolSciFI/AlienSoup's About Statement.

If AlienSoup is intended to be a Speculative Fiction Fansite then it would be prudent to categorize the forums into the speculative fiction sub-forums.
The genres science fiction, fantasy, superhero fiction, science fantasy, horror and supernatural fiction, as well as their combinations.
If that is done, then books, movies, shows and articles should fall under specific sub-genre forums with all threads being classed as to which genre it identifies with (something you have done with your thread tags already).

If AlienSoup is focused more on the different types of media we use to get our speculative fiction; literature, film, TV, music and art then separate the forums into media types and use the genre tags to identify the different speculative fiction content.

Right now, you have TWO MAIN FORUM CATEGORIES visible to regular members.
To Serve Man...
It's... it's a cookbook! and
Alien Soup Community

Some feedback I might suggest is the following (always your own decision, always);

SPECULATIVE FICTION (The first main forum category, call it anything you want, To Serve Man, Fictional Realms, whatever...)
In that Main Forum, sub-forums might include;
Science Fiction
Fantasy
Horror
Supernatural
Superheroes
Non-Traditional
Articles
(Naming each section might be a fun competition for members or a way for you to tap your imagination and creativity.)

Another Main Forum
INTERESTS/FANDOM/General Discussion (figure out a name that covers it)
In this section you could include;
Music
Literature
Moving Pictures
Food/Cooking
Car Buffs
Creative arts
Games
Science & Tech
Collecting
Conventions & Events
Quotations

Then, A final section that covers community and interaction of members
YOU NAME IT (Alien Kitchen?) (Mothership?)
INTRODUCTION - Meet the Members
OPEN CHAT - Abductee's Diner
TRADING POST - Marketplace
ENLIGHTENMENT CHAMBER - Announcements, site news, feedback & suggestions
CORE DUMP - Archives
EDUCATOR MATRIX ONE - Tutorials and site maps

Some forum communities have sub-forums that are 3 or 4 levels deep.
Some have sub-forums that open to 'view' based on member post counts (rewards members for participation).

LOL, Just some quick suggestions for you to consider (always your decision). You did ask...

what do we do with the misc. stuff like dramas, comedies, and so on?
INTERESTS/FANDOM/General Discussion
>Moving Pictures
>Literature

Oh, another forum might be dedicated to Robby's Random Feeds.
I do know that Robby buries many threads from 1st view on the main page because he posts daily.
Some topics never get participation because you have to drill down into the forum to find it.
If Robby posts only to his own forum, only the auto posts get buried in a cycle.
Member threads remain in pristine participation view.

Please give your opinions!

Something that has been on the back of my mind for a while now is "Do we keep dedicated forums for Movies / TV / Books or do we break apart those forums and move the threads into the general Sci-Fi & Fantasy and (now) Horror forums so that everything sci-fi related, for example, is in the same forum? If we do that, what about misc. movies & TV shows that we talk about also?"

With the recent addition of the ScaryMinds horror forum this is the perfect time for changes. :whistle: I'm kind of leaning towards genre based forums (all horror together, and so on) but what do we do with the misc. stuff like dramas, comedies, and so on?
What we have now seems to work ok, its like a menu at a restaurant, if you have to many items you may not profit, you could thin out the menu, and make the topics more broad, that would prove interesting....maybe slap the chat room under the menu and over the media, its up to you...

By Media.
Too much genre crossover. Most will not search if a new movie already has a thread, and you will end up with doubles. What may be sci fi to one is horror to another.

Saved the above in draft, lol
45 minutes later... I hope I'm understanding your quest here. A rearrangement, if needed. I'm actually putting too much thought into this :ROFLMAO:
I'll be back later, I hope. :LOL:
It's confusing.

Back