"Guess What?"

Camille

Cadet
Hi, all! Lately this has been my most requested fic to post here, so I'm taking a deep breath on this, my first posting of a fic here. It is an S/V piece, even though I usually write Jack stories. I wrote this in early 2003 as an experiment in dialogue writing. (Readers of my other stories may see hints of ideas in this one.) There are 25 chapters.

Title: “Guess What?” A comedy in several acts.

Author: Camille

Ship: S/V

Summary:
What happens if Sydney allowed herself to get angry about Alice? And Weiss decided to play matchmaker?

Timeline: begins approximately six months after “The Getaway” in S2. We are in an alternate universe in which Phase One and anything thereafter has never happened. (Written in early 2003.)

Rating: PG-13 for innuendo

Chapter 1: In which we witness the set up.

“Guess what?” Weiss asked Vaughn, stepping into the latter’s office.

“I don’t even want to try, given the way today has been going.”

“Why? It’s only 8:15am! What’s happened already?”

“Alice asked me this morning if I was gay.” Vaughn grimaced at Weiss' reaction. Gales of laughter were not what he wanted to hear. Expected maybe, but wanted? Umm, well, NO.

“She asked if you were gay? And, why may I ask, is that?” Weiss prided himself on the fact that he had kept a straight face.

“Well, you know I’ve always avoided staying overnight?”

“Are you still having nightmares about Sydney?”

“Yeah, I don’t think they are ever going to end. I worry...”

“Nah, it’s not worry. It’s guilt. But go on.”

“So, anyway, last night I was so exhausted I fell asleep on Alice’s couch.” Vaughn heaved a deep sigh and knew his forehead was no doubt a mass of wrinkles. He sighed again. “And apparently in my sleep I kept moaning ‘Syd’.”

More laughter. “And she thought you were moaning about some guy named Sid with an i”.

“Yeah.”

“So, how’d you get out of that one?” Weiss stuck his hands in his pockets and rocked back and forth.

“Well, I mean it’s not like I can tell her what I really do and who Syd really is and---”

“And how you really feel about Syd, even though you are going out with Alice?”

Drop it. Anyway, I had to come up with something plausible and told her that I had an old girlfriend named Astrid. And that I sometimes called her “Strid” and had bad dreams about her because she was a risk taker. And she must have misheard the name. And then because she didn’t say anything, I kept babbling like a fool and told her I broke up with her because I couldn’t take the stress and when work was exhausting, I’d have these dreams and...”

“And she said what?”

“That maybe that if I weren’t gay, I was still hung up on this woman and maybe that was why I did not seem to be fully involved with her, that I was making all the motions, but my heart was not really there. That she had been thinking that for a while. And that it wasn’t fair to her or me or ‘Astrid’, assuming of course that Astrid was real. I think she really thinks I’m gay.”

“Hmm. So, she gave you walking papers, I assume.” Weiss smirked.

“Yeah. Well, what did you come here for anyway? Surely not to hear the sad story of my sorry love life.”

“Well, I’ve got good news and bad news.”

“Give me the good news.”

“We have to go on a mission to Hawaii and spend a few days touring around Maui and lying on the beach.”

“Sounds great. What’s the bad news?” Vaughn asked suspiciously. But really, what else could go wrong? A second later he knew that one should never ask that particular question.

“Your assignment.” Weiss paused. “Mike, you know how I always said Sydney Bristow was one woman I would not want mad at me? Really, she’s just not someone I would want to cross. When you think about it, she doesn’t always get mad the way you expect someone to get mad. It makes me wonder if she’s one of those ‘I don’t get mad, I get even’ types. Or maybe her anger just gets cold instead of hot. I had this girlfriend once myself and when she yelled it was okay, but when she got quiet -- wow, look out. I mean Sydney’s not Jack or Irina, but still...”

“Weiss, you’re babbling. Wait a minute, don’t tell me...”

“Yup, you’re going on assignment with Sydney. Her assigned agent woke up this morning at 3am with acute appendicitis. The plane leaves in 2 hours. We needed a very strong swimmer, which qualifies you. Also, there is the nature of the assignment, which meant that it was easier if the agent actually knew Sydney. We gave her the choice of 3 agents and she asked for you.”

“You have got to be kidding. And wipe that smile off of your face.”

“Oh, no, I am not kidding. And let me tell you that she’s gotten over being sad about Alice. I mean I’m assuming she was sad about the Alice thing after all the time you two…. Hey, don’t give me that look! Anyway, I think she’s in the stage of grief called anger. It’s not going to be pleasant for you Mike, not at all. I can just tell...”

“Tell what?” Vaughn prompted.

“You know the phrase, ‘hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.’?”

“She shouldn’t feel scorned, I...”

“Inadvertently rubbed her face in a relationship she did not know existed until after she had saved your life by being willing to commit cold-blooded murder. Uh-huh. I saw the surveillance tape of that bar with you, Alice, Syd and her friend, Tippin, Tupper, whatever. Yeah, I guess she should just forget about it. Anyway, she said, and I quote, ‘Let’s go with Agent Vaughn and kill two birds with one stone. Lord knows he could use more field experience’.”

“Ouch.”

“Oh it gets better. She also said, and I quote, ‘He has the duplicity skills down all right, but he needs more experience in creative problem solving in the field.’”

“Double ouch.”

“Double ouch? That was a stab right at the heart, man. And if giving you more field experience is killing one bird, that leaves open the question of the other bird she’s going to kill with some stone, doesn’t it?”

Silence. Then, Vaughn asked reluctantly, knowing it was going to get worse, “You mentioned the nature of the assignment?”

“This is the best part. You two are going to play the part of honeymooners.”

“This is not happening, this is not happening.”

"Oh, it's happening," Weiss said as he turned to leave. "Pack some sunscreen. You'll need some heavy protection." He laughed and walked away.

TBC

*snort* *giggle* *ROAARRR* I love it! Alice thinks Vaughn is gay?? :rotflmao: I absolutely can NOT wait for this mission to get underway and all the wonderful little torture Syd will inflict on His Weinieness! :woot:

Thanks for the PM! ;)

👋 Hi Camille! Cute,- gay Vaugh, Sydney scorned, Weiss in stitches, gotta love it!! I definitely see Sydney as the "hell hath no fury...." type. This should be interesting! Thanks for posting, robyn
Can I get a PM>?

haha this is fun!! 😆 i can't believe Alice thought that Vaughn was gay!! lol i can't wait for their misson, it should be good!! :woot:

can i be added to the pm list please? :smiley:

HAHAHAHA
This is great!!!
Can I get a PM, please???
Ah man is Syd pissed at Vaughn
I wonder what she is going to do to him

Great job!!
but that whole gay thing is so familiar!
i know someone else wrote that for another fic!
But that could've been you!
or maybe you've posted this fic somewhere before and i've read it!
Great job and update soon!
and pm me please!

Thanks so much for reading!

Chapter 2: in which knowledge proves to be a dangerous thing.

He was a trained professional.

He could do this.

He could act like a professional.

He could think about the mission without spending all of his time thinking about Sydney in a bikini on the beach. Or in the hotel room next door. All alone in that bed…….

Yeah, and pigs would fly. Jack Bristow would call him “son” and welcome him to the family with a big hug. And Weiss would grow up. All likely events.

In an alternate universe. On the planet Krypton. In the year 2525.

On the way to the airstrip, his cell phone beeped. It was Weiss, of course. “So, Mike, where are you? We’re waiting!”

“What do you mean? I’m right on……” Vaughn trailed off as he saw the time on the car’s clock. What the hell?

“Let me guess." Weiss laughed, "You went back to your apartment to pack and spent who knows how long sitting on the bed doing what? Imagining Syd in a bikini?”

Thank the gods above Weiss wasn’t here to see his mouth hanging open. “Weiss…..”

“Or wondering which shirt would perfectly match your eyes and make her go all gooshy inside and say..." Weiss changed his voice to a falsetto, "'Oh, Vaughn. I'll forgive you anything since you coordinated your shirt to match your dreeeeeamy eyes! Oooh!'" Weiss changed back to his normal voice. "Is that what you're thinking you should do to get her to drop whatever revenge scenario she might have cooked up?”

“Argh. Is gooshy even a word? And I don’t even own a green shirt! Please tell me she isn’t sitting right there listening to you. Please.”

“Nah. I’m not that cruel. Although if you don’t show up soon, everyone is going to start asking questions and you know me, honesty is the best policy.” Weiss finished in a sing-song voice that made Vaughn want to pop him.

“I’m on my way. Ten minutes if I speed.”

“Well, speed then. Hey, Syd, guess what---“ Weiss hung up.

Vaughn broke out in a cold sweat. By the time he arrived at the airstrip he was a wreck. He threw his bag into the cargo hold and greeted everyone, sat down and then got back up to grab a soda. Then sat down and opened the soda. Then got back up to get a napkin or two or twenty because he spilled the freakin’ soda. Then threw away said napkins. Then had to get himself another soda. Then noted to himself that maybe he needed a caffeine-free soda, given the fact that he had the jitters already. So he got back up and exchanged the soda for another one. Then sat back down. Opened it. Carefully. Then gave Weiss a dirty look for cracking up at him. Then turned his head when Weiss wandered over and asked, “A little nervous, are we? Don’t blame you. Not at all. Not at all.”

Hours later, he thought, okay, he could do this. Maybe Weiss’ fears were unfounded. Nothing seemed to be happening. Syd was polite, professional. Somewhat cool, but only those who had known them “Before” (he always thought of it with a capital ‘B’ in quotation marks) would notice anything wrong. But then again, probably everyone on this assignment knew that he had been her handler and that she had requested reassignment to Weiss. If they did not know the full story, (and he hoped to God that they did not), they probably thought he must be incompetent, especially if she repeated her comment about needing more field experience. So great, he was either the world’s biggest fool for going out with Alice when he could have been having some kind, any kind, of a relationship with Sydney or he was incompetent. What a choice. Fabulous.

Vaughn spent the entire flight just waiting for the other shoe to drop. But Syd never engaged him in any conversation other than about the mission nor did she make any snide comments to Weiss or the other two agents, Barclay and Washington. She looked like the consummate professional. He probably looked like he was coming down with something what with the constant light layer of sweat on his forehead. Every time Weiss handed him a tissue, he smiled, a huge mocking smile that Vaughn vowed he would someday, someday soon, punch right off of his face.

He hated to admit it, but Weiss was right, he had mishandled the situation. He’d had time to think about it. He should have been honest from the beginning. Although he still didn’t really know why he’d done what he’d done. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Maybe he could just blame it on common, classic male stupidity? Yeah, great idea. That would make her forgive him. Not. That idiotic excuse would just up the ante. And Sydney Bristow out for blood would not be pleasant. But so far, he could handle it. Really, he could.

“Weiss, maybe you were wrong," Vaughn offered. Hoping. Praying. "I mean, she didn’t do anything on the flight.”

“Yeah, and you looked like you were handling that oh-so-well." Weiss nodded. "She has you down cold, man.”

“What do you mean?

“You may love her, but in some ways you don’t know her. She, however, knows you and has probably spent the last 6 months analyzing your weaknesses. She knew you would just be waiting for her to do something on that flight. Instead she did nothing, knowing it would just kill you by raising your anxiety level every minute. Perfect.”

Silence.

“So, am I right?” Weiss asked, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet.

Grunt. Then Vaughn asked, “So what do you think she’ll do next?”

“Ha. Who knows?” Weiss laughed and kept on walking. Looking over his shoulder, he added, "I couldn't begin to guess. Can you?"

TBC

I love this story--read it quite a while ago elsewhere and am enjoying it the second time around. :D Especially love the way you write Eric! :love: Looking forward to more. :woot:

:lol: I LOVED this chapter!! it was great!

“Or wondering which shirt would perfectly match your eyes and make her go all gooshy inside and say..." Weiss changed his voice to a falsetto, "'Oh, Vaughn. I'll forgive you anything since you coordinated your shirt to match your dreeeeeamy eyes! Oooh!'" Weiss changed back to his normal voice. "Is that what you're thinking you should do to get her to drop whatever revenge scenario she might have cooked up?”

😆 HAHAHA Weiss cracks me up! he's such a funny guy! :smiley:

“You may love her, but in some ways you don’t know her. She, however, knows you and has probably spent the last 6 months analyzing your weaknesses. She knew you would just be waiting for her to do something on that flight. Instead she did nothing, knowing it would just kill you by raising your anxiety level every minute. Perfect.”

That's very clever of Sydney!! although it is a lil mean on Vaughn! ;)

Grunt. Then Vaughn asked, “So what do you think she’ll do next?”

“Ha. Who knows?” Weiss laughed and kept on walking. Looking over his shoulder, he added, "I couldn't begin to guess. Can you?"

:woot: I can't wait to see what she does next!! lol well basically i can't wait for the next chapter!! (y)

thanks for the pm! ^_^

Back