[Guide] Computer Security Basics Part 2

Praveer

Cadet
2. Antivirus
**Note: Do NOT install and run more than one antivirus per PC. Having more than one antivirus does not secure your PC any more than having one does. All it causes are conflicts on your PC.

There are plenty of good antiviruses out there. Though this is biased in my opinion, I have researched a bit on several vendors and come to a few conclusions. I have seperated the comparison into two categories: freeware and paid software. Do note, paid software isn't necessarily better than freeware.
Starting off with commercial products, I believe the top two competitors would be Kaspersky Internet Security and ESET Smart Security. I personally have only used Kaspersky, ESET, McAfee, and Symantec commercial products.
Kaspersky has been noted for its high detection capabilities, and it is not a memory hogger. It comes with several features, including an antivirus and antispyware engine, a firewall, spam filter, parental controls, and a few other tools.

February 2009 AV Comparatives Results
Award received: Advanced +
Number of False Positives: Few
On demand Scanning Speed: Average
Total Percentage (Detection Rate): 97.1%

Screenshot:

kaspersky2009.jpg

ESET is also known for high detection rates. In addition, it is recorded as the most lightweight antivirus in its market. ESET has a sleek interface and includes features such as an antivirus and antispyware engine, a firewall, a spam filter, and a few other tools.

Award received: Advanced +
Number of False Positives: Few
Total Percentage (Detection Rate): 97.6%

Screenshot:

essv4gui.jpg

Next are the freeware programs. I personally have only tried AVG, avast! and Avira Antivir. I recommend either Avira Antivir or avast! Antivirus.
Avira Antivir is rated number one in detection rates for 2008/2009. Based on tests by AVcomparative, Avira detected over 99% of the threats that were set on the system. The only thing I can criticize is Avira's updating system is a bit on the slow side. Features of Avira (free version) include an antivirus and antispyware engine, with a couple of other features.

Award received: Advanced
Number of False Positives: Many
Total Percentage (Detection Rate): 99.7%

*Note: The reason Avira Antivir did not receive Advanced + is because of the high number of false positives.

Screenshot:

Avira%20AntiVir%20PersonalEdition%20Classic%20-%20Free%20Antivirus%20Freeware%202.jpg

avast! Antivirus is a free antivirus that comes with an antivirus, antispyware, and anti-rootkit engine, along with online protection. It too has a high detection rate.

Award received: Advanced
Number of False Positives: Many
On demand Scanning Speed: Fast
Total Percentage (Detection Rate): 98.2%

Screenshot:

55881_large.jpeg

Back