Guitar

http://www.filefactory.com/get/v3/f2.php?f=9b9ff4
(click on the free download links after it counts down)

This is something I recorded like 4 months ago. Was just trying out a free recording program while messing around on the guitar, playing parts of different songs so it has some mistakes here and there.

Someday I'll have to record stuff again, I don't have the program I used back then and forgot what it was. If anyone has any recommendations for programs (preferrably free) let me know.

I'm not very good at knowing what is good or bad when it comes to a guitar. However, you kick everyones trash that I know of when it comes to playing a guitar. I really enjoyed it, and i'm really not into the electric guitar very much.

Nice job :smiley:

What program are you using Death? I could a program like that as well. How do you like the one that you have. It is easy to use?

Also, what gear are you running through? I'm a guitarist myself, and like to trade ideas and experiences. :smiley:

I believe the program was called Audacity, its a free recorder and editor. I haven't used it in a long time. But it was good for a free program.
Audacity

As for gear I was using my Epiphone Goth V guitar, hooked into an old DOD Death Metal distortion Pedal, and from that I went straight into the line in port on my computers sound card.

I've upgraded alot since then. I now have a Zoom GFX-8 multi effects board, a Metal Master distortion pedal, a 120watt Crate amp, and I baught a new Seymore Duncan Dimebucker pickup for my guitar.

Very cool, I just have one more question (and it's more of a "tech" question). Since I have a multieffect processing computer built-in to my amp, I don't use pedals. I'm worrried about plugging into my PC from my amp. It might cause some serious problems (like blowing my PC up, hehe). Have you had any experience with running directly from a amplifier to a PC?

Thanks for sharing you guitar work with us. I'd like to see Rics post something up here as well. I'll see if I can find something worthwhile posting, but I'm pretty sure I don't have anything that is decently recorded, heh. ;)

Not really sure, but I did some Google searching and found this:

1. If you plug the guitar directly into the sound card, you (obviously) won't capture any of the characteristics of the amp (distortion, etc.). But you can always add additional effects to the recorded guitar signal using effects plug-ins (extra software).

2. If your amp has a line out, you can plug this directly into the sound card. This way you will capture all of the processing that your amp does, but you won't capture the "sound" of the amplifier (speaker, enclosure, etc.).

3. If you mic the amp, you will capture everything you hear when you play your guitar through the amp. However, you are at the mercy of a) the quality of the microphone, b) the quality of the soundcard preamp (pretty poor on basic computer sound cards), and c) the room you play in.

Most folks with home studios these days seem to use either methods #1 or #2 above, or a combination of the two. Major studios which have good mics, preamps, and recording rooms probably use methods #3 (especially if capturing the guitar/amp combo is a must) and/or #1.

The best way to learn is to experiment with all three methods using your existing equipment!

Thanks Death! I have a decent mic (SM 58) that I use for micing my amp. I"ll have to see if that will work. Thanks for the insight one that.

Ok, only thing decent I have is this movie done a few months ago. Quality sucks, and I wasn't aware it was being filmed, so not my best stuff. Blah....... :thinking:

th_Jon1.jpg

Should be going into the studio sometime after the summer is over and hopfully I'll have something decent out of that.

Holy felgercarb, you're pretty good! Wish I could solo like that.

How long have you been playing? I've had a guitar for about 9 years but alot of those years I didn't play at all. So maybe 5-6 years of playing...

Thanks for the compliment! :smiley:

I'm usually very hard on myself and I have just gotten in the last couple of years where I can listen to myself and not cringe. ;)

I've been playing guitar for about 25 years, give or take. Played classical violin for 11 years as well. Music has pretty much been a constant with me since I was 4(I'm 37 now). I wish I had practiced guitar more though, and learned a bit more theory. There is so much I can't do that I wish I could... :(

Most of the time I have no clue what I'm doing, I just kinda go with it. Sometimes it doesn't sound so good, sometimes it comes out ok.

Nice work there guys!
Didn't even see this thread previously... o.O

I too am a musician, hmm piano from age 8, guitar age 11. 29 now, still play every day.
Spent 6months in India in 2000 learning sitar and eastern progression.

I've not played my electric in months, plenty of open-tuned accoustic action though. What's strangest though is when I've written music the last couple of years it's not been very guitar based at all. I guess this is more to do with the computer recording environment though.
Mostly I've been doing either classical or 'big beat' hehe.

Only thing I have uploaded atm to show is this:
Death Work (mp3) - Valkyry
which isn't even the final version sadly.
Is an electro piece I did as a soundtrack for a very politically inspired doco a friend made for his final University production.
I looooove base. Not too evident in this track, but I loooooove base hehe.

I recently reinstalled all my audio software on my new PC, getting my studio set back up, so will hopefully have something new to show in the coming weeks.

Up to this point I've put together 2 CDs, very loosely 'put together'. As a typical musician, they're never complete hehe.

Anyways just my addition to show-and-tell.

Edit: ewww just listened back to that version of the track and it ends abruptly, no idea what's going on there. The version was a trail run recording anyhoot. Just FYI hehe.

Wow, that was freakin' cool! I absolutely LOVE exotic scales and that whole middle eastern prgression feel. All I wanted to do was solo over that Arremus, which is a sign that I really liked that peice, it really said something to me.

Well record a solo over it! :D Satriani (sp?) style, Surfing With the Alien, hehe. A flowing melody over the top! Do it!
And then I will mix it in.

I'd love to put vocal tracks and/or guitar, violin, whatever tracks over the things I do, but I can't do the sort of vocals I'd like (Massive Attack style sorta stuff), and I don't solo much.

So, if anyone wants to do some vocals, or an instrument or anything, let me know!
I'll post a few other tracks sometime soon.

I loooove base too. That was an awesome piece, Arremus. I'm impressed. How can I download that? I'm a noob at downloading mp3.

Speaking of eastern style music, I like the Armenian haunting beauty of the duduk. I guess that's more middle eastern?

Originally posted by Eve@Jun 11 2006, 12:48 AM
I loooove base too. That was an awesome piece, Arremus. I'm impressed. How can I download that? I'm a noob at downloading mp3.

Speaking of eastern style music, I like the Armenian haunting beauty of the duduk. I guess that's more middle eastern?
Aahh the duduk.. Possibly the most painfully beautiful wind instrument.
There's an Indian flute that has a simular sound.. but it's name... gah. I actually have one in my cupboard haha. I'll have to look up the name of it later.

Armenian scales would more represent Arabic tones and notation than 'Eastern' I would think. And the duduk is a very, and very beautifully, Arabic sounding instrument.

Hmm... now you've got me curious about getting one! :D

What I really want to do though is to go back to India and get a sarod - as seen here. I just love that instrument. I have a beautiful sitar, and a sarod would really top off my collection hehe.

That was a cool track Arremus. You and Morneblade are much better musicians than I am.

Have you guys ever heard of King Diamond? Some of his songs have an exotic sound to them, pretty cool.

Hell yes Death, King Diamond (and Merciful Fate) were really cool. I did prefer King Diamond solo, I thought the musicianship was really good in his band.

Keep in mind Death, that both Arremus and I have been playing alot longer than you have. Give yourself a decade, or 2, and I bet you'll be pretty awesome :smiley:

Recorded some more stuff I just played. Again there are some mistakes, i'm not a professional, heh. I didn't write this song, its a Six Feet Under song so I take no credit for the music.

I mic'd my amp this time. I dont think the sound came out that great.

Click here

Back