Guitar

hey.. I just had to bring this thread back to life! :D

...as Im ..well.. some sort of musician myself, alltho I spent the last years in a studio recording others...

So if you have any questions about "tchnical" stuff.. or just some tips on recording, I will gladly help my fellow "gamers" B)

And to Death
Your link to your "latest" recording didnt work for me, sadly.
But you said something about you mic´d your amp, and wasnt very happy with the sound.
Its very much depending on your mic and its position and angle.
Try to move it around infront of the Amp, and do different recordings on each position. Also try to change the volume of the amp.

SOmetimes, if its a cheap mic, it cant really handle the "preasure" from a amp, and it might be distorted (in a bad way). So if you are interested, and got the money, you should get a good mic. Morneblade said he had a Shure SM58, and that works fine, allthogh thats a vocal mic. Shure made another mic called SM57 and thats perfect for mic a amp (or drums or you name it hehe).. and its a bit cheaper.

..and dont stop post your things you´ve recorded.. Its fun to listen on what your doing

Hmm, that's odd it's working for me. Maybe it's your browser or something?

As for my mic, it is an audio-technica PRO 2ax. It says cardioid dynamic universal impendence on the mic also, whatever that means B) .

I figured it would be a positioning issue. All I did was drape the cord over my amp and let the mic hang upside down in front of the speakers. I need to get a mic stand someday so I can position the mic better.

Nice riffs man :D Sends me back to my days of playing in a Metal band.. Ah the fun of youth...

As for recording guitar onto computer, not much use taking my advice.. which = don't bother hehe.
I have done aaaall sorts of recording efforts with heavy guitar into PC - talking mic'ed amps here - and without seriously good qual gear it always sounds like shyte imo.

Granted I've not bothered trying in a year mainly due to being so frustrated with how felgercarb it sounds. So there might be better programs out there for recording with nowdays. But I doubt it. It's one of those "How do we change physics?" debates, successfully recording fat, solid heavy guitar on a PC.

This partly why I write electronica stuff like the track I linked earlier. I have given up on trying to do decent sounding 'live' instrument tracks without going and spending $2k on a mic alone.

Yes, I have a 58 and the only time I use it is when I am recording an acoustic + vocals track nowadays; or sampling sounds.

Maybe I'll link an mellow acoustic number someday. Don't count on it though hehe.

"good sound" are actually more depending on things "outside" the PC.

And if you got to many "bottlenecks" from the soundsource to the PC, it will probably not sound the way you expected.

Sure, the soundcard you use, are nothing a "pro" would use, but if you can record something from a CD or whatever (using line in), and you get it without big qualityloss, you should be allright.

And conecting a mic directly to the soundcard is not really the best way, as you lose alot of "control" on the signal (and mic-amps in those cards are felgercarb). but sending the signal from the digital "multieffect box" is not to bad, as they usually got some sort of "amp-simulated" sound. Its ideal to have a mixer between the mic and computer otherwise.

..anyway, to get the perfect heavy phat guitarsound is not easy, and very dependent on bassguitars and sometimes drums, together it sounds perfect, but each of them alone, sounds poor. Usually the Comp-guitar is recorded twice (same notes but on different tracks) to make it sound heavy. (once a guitarplayer get the taste of that its the first thing he asks for in a studio, hehe), listen carfefully on your heavymetal records, and you´ll hear the comp-guitar is probably recorded twice, and usually paned out to the left and right speaker.

If you play solo, you could try to put a echo effect, with very short delay, to simulate the effect of two guitars. It will not be the same, but worth some experiment.
Also try not to use that much bass, find the EQ on the effectbox and try lowering it a bit.

..damn im talking much :rolleyes:

Back