Politics guns in america

Jamison said:
They may get guns in Europe but they have no where near the number of gun related deaths as we do in this country.  Why?  They have much better gun control.
[post="1347075"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Its foolish to colclude that lack of gun control is the only reason for more gun related deaths.

AliasHombre said:
Its foolish to colclude that lack of gun control is the only reason for more gun related deaths.
[post="1347556"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I don't think it's foolish at all. Like noggi said, then what's the reason that American has more gun related deaths?

And the self defense argument for having guns is ridiculous..

In 1997, for every time that a civilian used a handgun to kill in self-defense, 43 people lost their lives in handgun homicides. (FBI Supplementary Homicide Report data, 1997)

In 1997 there were 15,690 homicides, of which 8,503 were committed with handguns. Only 193 (2.3 percent) handgun homicides were classified as justifiable homicides. (FBI Supplementary Homicide Report data, 1997)

http://www.kqed.org/w/baywindow/guns/stats.html

AliasHombre said:
That leaves out people who defended themselves with a gun but didn't kill anyone.
Gun control is not the only reason gun deaths might be higher...
[post="1347783"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Well then, what are the other reasons?

Jamison said:
Well then, what are the other reasons?
[post="1347801"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
A more diverse population, demographically and economically. There is more of other crimes as well (not using guns). American culture is different than any culture in Europe, it is a more aggresive culture, just look at our movies and video games...does that mean its wrong?

Its a shame that some people do stupid things with guns, but that doesn't mean someone who has never had a runin with the law should not be allowed to have one.

AliasHombre said:
A more diverse population, demographically and economically.  There is more of other crimes as well (not using guns).  American culture is different than any culture in Europe, it is a more aggresive culture, just look at our movies and video games...does that mean its wrong?

Its a shame that some people do stupid things with guns, but that doesn't mean someone who has never had a runin with the law should not be allowed to have one.
[post="1348856"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Britain has the tightest gun laws in Europe, and just look at our gun crime rate speaks for it's self. Tighter regulation of gun laws = less gun crime, its logic. Do ordinary americans really want an aggressive cultuire , i think not.

AliasHombre said:
That leaves out people who defended themselves with a gun but didn't kill anyone.
Gun control is not the only reason gun deaths might be higher...
[post="1347783"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Guns kill people. Need a better explaination?

But a dangerous person with a gun kills people.

I know that you are capable of killing a person with virtually anything...but the fact remains that it is much more efficient, quick, and easy to kill someone with a gun. Would all those people at Columbine have died if the shooters came in with knives...absolutely not.

In 1997 there were 8,503 homicides that were committed with handguns, and only 193 were justifiable (ie self defense). That leaves 8,310. You tell those people that it's okay that their lives were lost, because guns were able to kill 193 people that posed a threat.

AliasHombre said:
Those guns were not obtained legally in the first place for the most part. 

Gun control creates black markets where guns can be obtained.
[post="1349086"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

We already have black markets, without gun control.

And not all of the guns were obtained illegally.

Jamison said:
We already have black markets, without gun control.

And not all of the guns were obtained illegally.
[post="1349126"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
YOu don't know how many more black markets would appear if guns were made illegal.

A more diverse population, demographically and economically. There is more of other crimes as well (not using guns). American culture is different than any culture in Europe, it is a more aggresive culture, just look at our movies and video games...does that mean its wrong?

So your really telling me you think a diverse economic population makes gun crime higher. I can't find any figures for gun crime where I live but we have a 13% Bangledeshi community largely based in the inner city some of whom live below the poverty line, . You drive 10 minutes away and the houses sell for £2-£5m. In the recent election coverage it was described as one of the most diverse constituencies in Britain. Yet we have no drive by shootings, very few robberies. There are many cultures that are the same, Australia and I don't think they live in a frontier state.

You culture is aggressive just by carrying a gun. Its not your culture making you carry guns, its carrying guns making your culture is aggressive. And there is plenty of anger in European cultures, mostly imported but still it is there.

And if it is economic diversity making guns attractive maybe you need to look at the base structure to your society. Why do people carry guns? and I'm assuming you meant poor people? Because there is nothing else for them to do.

I accept the argument about sparse populations, I know there are places that are very rural and maybe would be inaccesable to law enforcement in the short space of time needed. But that doesn't mean everyone needs them.

Itz tha Dreila said:
If I had a gun the neighbor kid would probably steal it and kill the dog with it
[post="1349947"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
not if you safely stored it. you can buy cases that are IMPOSSIBLE to break or pick the lock, unless you have proffesional things, and then you'd probably not need the gun (you'd have one already).

Back