H2G2 to be shut down

Tom

An Old Friend
Douglas Adams' online encylopedia tries to buy itself back from the BBC
Cory Doctorow at 3:58 AM Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011​

H2G2, the online encylopedia founded by Douglas Adams and sold to the BBC, is now set to be shut down by the Beeb, which is slashing its online spending. The community -- many of whom predate the BBC acquisition -- are attempting to raise the money to buy themselves back from the BBC.
h2g2_logo.gif
I love h2g2, it's where I met my best friends, it's where I met my wife. I want to keep it. The BBC want to 'dispose' of it, we can't persuade them to change their mind. But we could buy it, between us. I have a dream, and I think we can do it. Join our google group, subscribe to our google group this page, find out more.. The H2G2 Community, owned and run by the H2G2 Community
If a group of us get together and put a reasonable proposal for the site I think we could take it on and make a success of it. We'd have to try and migrate the whole thing to a new server. Maybe with the web address www.h2g2.com. We'd be funded by donations, and if that won't pay the bills we'll may have to small amounts of advertising. We won't have any full time staff members, but we'll have volunteers, and with all the volunteer schemes together that'll be enough to keep it running. The Scouts and the Sub Eds could keep the Guide running on their own. We could have elections for the posts that have the power that the italics used to have.

This is saddening. I am not a member of that site, but am wondering how long BBC has had control of it? Also with the new-ish release of "And Another Thing..." I would think they would want to keep this going.

This is saddening. I am not a member of that site, but am wondering how long BBC has had control of it? Also with the new-ish release of "And Another Thing..." I would think they would want to keep this going.
It is a bit surprising that they would want to shed themselves of a community which already has a big fan base & just keeps getting bigger. Combine that with fact that the BBC did the HGTG TV series, that most fans love versus the big screen US movie version, and it becomes an even odder decision.

Not only did the BBC have the TV series but they also have the amazing, yet a little different radio series. So they have 2/5 of the Hitch Hikers Guide to themselves. I included the video game as well, since Douglas Adams was a part of that.

Not only did the BBC have the TV series but they also have the amazing, yet a little different radio series. So they have 2/5 of the Hitch Hikers Guide to themselves. I included the video game as well, since Douglas Adams was a part of that.
Oooh, I had forgotten about the radio series they did.

I can't help but wonder if there are any behind-the-scenes stuff going on (eg: disagreements with the community leaders or even the Adams family).

Oooh, I had forgotten about the radio series they did.

I can't help but wonder if there are any behind-the-scenes stuff going on (eg: disagreements with the community leaders or even the Adams family).

I think this is the best question that has been brought up in this thread. This also makes a lot of sense. It seems the Adams family is gaining a little more ground and the expansion of the "Galaxy" with the new book is only proving their footing.

Back