Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Halo Movie is Back - Spielberg is doing it

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robby, Aug 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Robby

Robby The Robot

Steven Spielberg To Produce Halo Movie? [Rumor]

Steven Spielberg To Produce Halo Movie? [Rumor]

(Via Kotaku)

2. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

Rumor: Steven Spielberg is Now Developing the Halo Movie?!

[​IMG]

1st Showing wrote:
    Whoa, wait, when did this happen?! Our friends at IESB are reporting a considerably exciting rumor that Steven Spielberg has taken over development on the Halo movie that Peter Jackson previously tried to make. They're saying they've confirmed this "with studio executives and our close ties to CAA" and that it's legit. Let's not forget that Jackson and Spielberg are working together on Tintin, so they've probably had plenty of time to talk about bringing one of the greatest video games in history to the big screen. But why is Jackson letting Spielberg take over so easily? Is it because he doesn't have time with The Hobbit coming up?

Apparently Spielberg took a look at the script that Stuart Beattie had written in his free time (remember this concept art?) for a Halo movie titled Halo: Fall of Reach and was "blown away" by it. Other connections between Spielberg and Beattie are that they're both repped by the talent agency CAA. And then there's the little fact that Spielberg was a special guest during Microsoft's E3 presentation for their new Project Natal (watch that video) and still reps it on their website. Oh yea and during that presentation, Spielberg even said he was a big gamer (if we can believe that). So all the pieces are there, maybe this does all make sense?

I'm one of those people who believes that a Halo movie could be (and deserves to be) as epic, exciting, and legendary as the game itself still is. And obviously it will take a lot of time and money to pull something like that off, as well as a creative team that is second to none. Peter Jackson was the first big step in the right direction, but then all of that fell apart. Now if it's true that Spielberg has stepped up instead, he couldn't be a more acceptable alternative and one of only a few that I would trust handling a franchise like this. And with that, I hope all this turns out true, because I'd love to see a Spielberg Halo movie. What about you?

3. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

Re: Steven Spielberg To Produce Halo Movie? [Rumor]

All these delays in getting the first film into our hands is soul destroying! We needed one this year, not in a couple more years time :( It's a real shame about the first one failing.

Good to hear though that the proposed screenplay seems to be following the series of books with the title being the first one.

4. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

[ Threads merged ]

Call me a cynic, but considering everything else that Spielberg has on his agenda right now (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/), I would question whether he has the time & energy needed to make a film like Halo.

:eek:

5. Chuckles

Chuckles Uncomfortably Insane

I will wait however long it takes to get meh Halo. I just hope I live long enough.

I also agree with Kevin, he does have a lot to deal with (which is probably one reason the film needs more time.) but at the same time....IT'S SPIELBURG. He can do it.

6. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

At least we'll be seeing the animated shorts that are being worked on while waiting for a live-action movie.

7. Robby

Robby The Robot

Microsoft: Halo Movie Still "On Hold" [Film]

Microsoft: Halo Movie Still "On Hold" [Film]

(Via Kotaku)