Happily Ever After

You guys I'm so sorry I've been gone. my mother decided to be stupid and take the computer in for repairs it DIDN't need! So I've been computerless since last Wednesday. I'm SO sorry. but I promise I will have an update by the end of the day. Thanks for hanging in there!

~Me :angel2:

You guys are so great. I’m SO sorry I didn’t get to post yesterday but I am STILL computerless so I have to use the school’s computers. My mother is STILL being stupid, so… blah. Whatever. Here goes Ch. 4. Oh, and it’s the return of the POV’s!

Ch. 4- The Return of an Enemy

At Home (Vaughn POV)

“Home sweet home,” I said with a sigh as I turned the key in the lock. Today has been exceptionally long, and right now all I want to do is fall into bed. But first I have to check in at work, then we have to put Jacklyn to bed, then I have to look over some paperwork and… well, my job is just never done.

“Sydney! Does Jackie need a bath tonight?”

“Don’t know, don’t care!” she called from the kitchen. It was nights like these I knew she let Jackie roam around the living room while she went and got a large glass of wine. And a quart of peanut butter chocolate ice cream.

“Do you want me to put Jackie to bed?” I came into the kitchen, carrying my sleeping daughter. She had gone out like a light five minutes after we walked in the door.

“You’ll be my favorite husband if you do,” she said, turning her head enough to look at me. She had her arms and head leaning on the counter, hair splayed across her face.

“I’m you only husband, and I better be your favorite,” I yell as I carry Jackie upstairs and place her in her bed. That night, she could sleep in her clothes. I didn’t honestly care if she slept naked that night. After that, I jogged downstairs to Sydney.

“Mike? How did everything become so messed up?” She was still in the same position as before, except the wine glass was already half empty and a quarter of the ice cream was already gone.

“I think it messed up the day… well, the day you joined SD-6 and the day I joined the CIA.”

“That sounds about right.”

Sydney POV

Classified Intel. Protocol. Those words turn to stone in my mouth now. The project I was supposed to end which my father had begun wasn’t anything major. It was paperwork. Sure, it was collecting info on one of America’s biggest threats- but most of the work was already done. I only had to find out who and what he was currently working for and on. No problem. Just hunt him down, then take him down. And if you believe that, then you’ll believe when an ugly little man tells you you’re working for your country, your country is actually benefiting from your work. Ha.

He was standing there just looking at me. Sometimes I wonder how he could be so patient with me, especially in situations like this. Where all I want to do is wonder where’s an ACME anvil at a time like this.

“Sydney… Sydney, are you alright?”

“No. Mike, I know this has something to do with my father. I just know it.”

“How do you know it?”

“I was coming in today… hold on.” I went over to my purse, got out my lipstick, and opened it. It beeped twice, and I began again.

“Alright, I was coming in to work today because I got a message there was some work I needed to finish. Some of my father’s work. I don’t know, Mike, it’s just, it’s like our problems from the wedding are starting all over again.”

He pulled me into a rough hug. Being the idiot I am, I sobbed on his shoulder for quite possibly the millionth time. I wonder how he ever got it dry.

“Hey, if it’s him, we’ll fight him together. You know that.”

“I just… I’m not the same person I was back then Mike. I might not be able to fight him this time. I can’t protect you and Jackie.”

“No, Sydney, you’re not the same person you were back then.”

“What?”

“No, you’re not. You’re stronger. Back then, you really didn’t have a reason to fight, especially after losing your dad—”

“Mike, no. You’re my reason for fighting. I love you too much to lose you, understand?”

“Sydney, don’t worry about me. The only person you need to worry about right now is Jackie. She needs you. Look, we’ll take him out together. I’m going to be right by your side the whole way.”

“Really?”

“Really. And don’t ever forget that.”

Ladies, if you can find a guy who gives you kisses that make your heart stop, I mean really stop, hang on to him for dear life because they come one in a million. I don’t know how I could ever even contemplate being in love with anyone else when I had someone as good as him right in front of me the whole time. Well, almost anyone. Danny has always been the exception to the rule.

“Syd… I’ve got to call into the office… see how the situation is going… Syd…”

“You… wanna go… be my guest…”. Of course, this was all said between kisses. Worst part was, neither of us wanted to break it up.

“Well… things probably… hmm… haven’t… progressed that much… I probably don’t need to… hmm… Syd…”

“Hmm… yes?…”

“You know we…. Hmm… haven’t…”

“… sure…”

“That’s not what I was going to say,” he said, breaking the kiss and laughing. “What I was going to say was how we haven’t talked to your mother in a while and how I was thinking you should talk to her and see if she knows anything about this project you’ll be working on.”

“Let’s not think about work tonight. Especially my mother,” I said, pulling him in for another round. There are those times when you just have to let go, and this was one of them.

That night was definitely one of the best nights of my life. But in the spy world, people are always watching. Old enemies who never let go of the grudge they had against you five years ago. Naivety is one of my worst faults, especially when it comes to thinking the man you thought was gone forever could never come back. Whoever said revenge was sweet had no idea what the hell they were talking about.

More coming later!

Ch. 5- Space Time Continuem

Certain time periods never really end. The fashions of those periods, the music, everything about it comes back to haunt us once in awhile. The thirties and early forties were all about jazz. Flappers. Booze. Murder. Notoriety. Anything that could get your name in the papers. Well, nowadays we see the jazz, although a little different, the booze, and of course, the murder. In 95% of most cases, there was a motive. Some people were just meant to die at the hands of people who used to love them. Or because of hatred, like the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, which was something like what my old enemy had planned.

"Alright Sydney, here's the plan. You go in, find out exactly what information your father had on Sark, and we'll take it from there."

"Mike, I don't know if I want to do this."

"Why not?"

"I'm just getting a feeling everyone I love will be in danger if I start investigating Sark."

"Don't worry, everything will be just fine. Trust me."

"Alright." She walked into Devlin's office, head held high.

"You wanted to see me?"

"Ah, Mrs. Brist- I mean, Mrs. Vaughn. Please have a seat." She sat down in the chair opposite him. He slid a thick file over to her marked CONFIDENTIAL.

"I assume you already know what's in that file," he said as she flipped through the file detailing Sark's every move up until two and a half years ago.

"What would you like me to do?"

"I want you to pick up where your father left off. Pick up Sark's trail, find out who he's working for, what he's working on, then take him out. We can pick up on his boss' trail from there."

"Is that all?"

"Yes, Agent. See if you can identify where he might be from that file and report back tomorrow afternoon."

"Thank you." She dismissed herself and walked out the door to the area where Vaughn was waiting.

"Well?"

"Nothing we didn't already know. Except he wants me to take out Sark after I find out who he's working for."

"Sydney, I'm going to bring this up again- why don't you go talk to your mother? She might know what the hell is going on."

"Let me see if this file will tell me anyth-"

(Siren Sound) REER-REER-REER-REER

"Security breach! Let's get out of here!" They headed for the elevators but they were already shut down. Vaughn grabbed Sydney's hand and led her through several hallways until they found a fire escape.

"Mike, wait! Jackie!"

Pause.

"Alright, let's go." The CIA had a child day care center which operated like a normal daycare except it was extremely well protected. Even so, someone might still be able to get in. They ran through several more hallways past people pushing, trying to get out. It seemed everyone was in a panic except the guys with the big guns who were trying to keep everyone calm. Finally, they made it to the unmarked wooden doors, the handles of which were already riddled with bullets.

"Oh no. Mike, you don't think it's him, do you?"

"I don't know. But we have to find Jackie." He reached for the door handle and peered into the large playroom. There was no one there except for the body of the woman in charge of the daycare.

"Mike, it's Linda!" Sydney said, running over to the body and kneeling down beside it. "They got here first. Now Jackie could be anywhere."

"Mommy? Daddy?" They both whipped around, hearing Jackie's whispers coming from behind them. What they saw scared them both to death. There was Sark, holding their precious daughter in his greasy arms with a gun pointed towards them and two henchmen accompanying him.

"It's alright, sweetheart. Everything will be alright," Sydney said, trying to stay calm for everyone.

"Ms. Bristow. Or should I say, Mrs. Vaughn?" Sark said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"What the hell are you doing here, scum?" Vaughn spat, not wanting to waste breath on the trash in front of him.

"As a matter of fact, I'm carrying out my employer's very carefully laid plans. She certainly is a very good actress," he said gesturing towards the door. "She'll be here in a few minutes for the execution."

"Who's she? And what execution?" Sydney was having a hard time comprehending anything beyond how much trouble her daughter was in.

"The execution of anyone who has ever stood in her way. You see, after you two were married, the largest obstacle was removed, but then we realized the second largest obstacle was anyone involved in the CIA. So we decided-"

"We decided to eliminate the competition." The woman standing in the doorway said, finishing Sark's sentence. She stood around 5'8 1/2, with wavy brown hair and sad looking eyes. She was wearing navy blue pants with comfortable-looking sliders and a long-sleeved plain navy blue shirt. She walked over to Sark and took Jackie from his arms.

"Oh, is this my little granddaughter?"
I know, none of this really made sense. If I get a stroke of brilliance, I might be able to pull it together in the next chappy, but for now, this will have to do.

Wow!!! :eek: :blink: <----me in shock and confusion!! its really good, very twisted!!!! I think u already hit a stroke of brilliance w/ this chapter!

Okay, as you could probably all tell, I have Chicago on my mind, so, yeah, I’m gonna try to make the last weirdness work. Oh, and loving the replies.
Ch. 6- Truth Takes Time

Syd POV
I hate to admit it, but my father had been right all along. She was a traitor at first to this country, now to her own daughter. At least she would never cease to amaze me. I think.

“Sydney, aren’t you going to introduce me to your newest addition?”

“You… I… What- are you doing here?”

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m “escaping from Alcatraz.” After all, do you really think I wanted to spend the rest of my life cooped up like some lab rat?”

“I don’t understand.”

“Then let me simplify it for you. Remember the night I kidnapped you and your father on that boat?”

“Y-es,” I said slowly, wondering what her master plan was.

“Didn’t it seem a little odd to you that I let you go so easily?”

“Yes. I was wondering about that myself.”

“Hmm. You see, I was originally planning on killing both of you and leaving you, Mr. Vaughn, with your pretty blonde girlfriend. But then I thought better of it. If I allowed you and your father to escape, Sydney, you two would continue to work for the CIA. All I had to do was show up when I needed to just to make sure everything was on schedule. Everything went as planned. You completed the work for me I started oh, over twenty-five years ago, and now, all I have to do is destroy the evidence.”

“You mean us?” After a side glance at Mike, he realized I wasn’t handling this very well, so he spoke for me.

“I can’t have you two living out your lives knowing what went down here today, now can I? Anyways, Sydney, since I know you won’t join me, all you would keep doing is getting in my way.” During the entire time she was talking, she kept Jackie on her hip, eyes locked on my little girl. “Say goodbye.”

She pointed her gun straight at us.

No more POV

Freeze!” Her head snapped up, staring straight ahead.

“Weiss! Will!” They were standing in the doorway, blocking anyone from entering or exiting.

“Drop it!” Weiss turned his gun on one of Sark’s henchmen. Suddenly, shots rang out.

“Mike, get down!” Sydney pushed him behind the old beat up couch in front of the TV and charged her mother. However, flying bullets and continuing combat between agents prevented this and Irina made it out the door with Jackie, Sark right behind her.

“JACKIE!” Vaughn got up and lunged after them, but the continuing shower of bullets from Sark’s machine gun stopped him dead in his tracks.

“Sydney! Are you alright?”

“Where’s Jackie? Where is my daughter?” She was clinging to his lapels, extremely close to tears.”

If you’ve ever had a child, you’d know the hell you go through when you don’t know where they are or even if they are dead. You can’t accept the truth, and you deny their disappearance, that any moment they are going to come in through the door, wrap their arms around your knees, and say everything will be alright. There are times you would give your own life to bring them back, but what good will it do? I could kill my mo- Derevko, I could cry until there was no more water left in my body, or I could try to get my daughter back. Even if it meant losing one of my closest friends.
I know, kinda short. Also, it also didn’t make any sense, but hey, you can’t expect miracles.

:blink: OK I'm a little confused about it, but I just read it again, I is she having a dream?!?!?!, just a guess.

KEEP GOING! its good! :smiley:

SpyGurl001 said:
:blink: OK I'm a little confused about it, but I just read it again, I is she having a dream?!?!?!, just a guess.

KEEP GOING! its good! :smiley:
Close, but no cigar. This is all very real.

I'm sorry I didn't say this earlier, thanks to everyone who has posted. You guys are the best! I'll be posting more later tonight.

Back