Politics Happy VE Day

noggi16

Cadet
60 years ago today, German and British officers led by Montey signed the offical surrender that ended the Second World War.

Lets take a minute to rember the 2 million French and million British soldiers who never came home (sorry I don't know how many Americans didn't come home)

Think about the sacrifice they made, as did all our ancestors who died in the fields of France to make sure we could be free.

Surprised no one posted here. Didnt really celebrate that day but imagine 60 years ago on VE day that would have been totally wicked. Probably the biggest party ever.

Well you obviously weren't in London or Manchester or Ipswich or Reading or Liverpool. Because by all accounts they were parties.

Yeah and so were we, Victory in Japan came in August and I seem to recall their being quite a few British troops in S.E. Asia.

However we were free of an immediate threat of mass invasion and we had been at war for SIX years at this point.

I don't think bickering over who fought the longest or who was still at war is an appropriate way to honor the men who fought in WWII.

I didn't post over here originally because though while a day of celebration, it was hard for me to celebrate when so many lives were lost in an awful, awful war.

And thats very true, however we celebrated because I think anyone that dies in the name of freedom should have a party in their honour. Without these men, I'd be speaking German and I think the fact that I'm not is worth a party.

But I do thinking correcting misconceptions helps keep the true memory of the sacrifice.

Back