Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

ok bunch of stuff

the video: WTF hahahaha that was soooooooooo messsed up

JKR intereview: ok i loved this - this is great its FABULOUS

and now about the whole shipping fiasco:
i really think it has to do with perspective
i am an admitedly overzealous ron/hermione shipper and just about bouncing out of my chair with glee over JKR's comments so personally, i found the 'dilusional' comments hysterical

i think it goes back to those people who ship for non-cannon likely ships vs those who ship for cannon likely ones. Another perfect example here would be sarkeny shippers vs s/v shipppers
now that of course, is an extreme example since in harry potter neither ron nor harry is utterly despised by hermione

you also must understand that these are her stories. She clearly writes them with the intention of ron/hermione so harry/hermione is not exactly a thought in her mind. I mean... if someone ws reading one of my stories and was like 'i really think person A and person B are goig to get together no the HAVE to get together' i'd become very 'wtf' and defensive towards it. Especially at the overzeallous manner in which some shippers come accross

dillusional if meant in an entirely serious and almost hostile manor woudl be offensive but they were clearly joking

But the thing is, they clearly weren't joking, unless thousands of people across the internet got it wrong and misinterperted. :eyebrow:

I think annearchy from LJ got what I'm trying to say best.

I'm sure they DID mean it that way. They are laughing at us and telling us we're basically a bunch of stupid twits who are too stupid to read past 3 years of Harry and Hermione drawing ever closer in the books. She can do whatever she wants with her characters, but for the life of me I don't understand how she can sit there AND LAUGH. She's kicking us in the face, and peeing on us for good measure. Kind of like when Draco stomped on Harry's face in the train.

Looking past your glee about R/Hr officially canon, how would you feel if you had lumped into a group and referred to as delusional and militant?

ok well, if they had called the r/hr shippers delusional i woudl have been slightly upset
but militant? come on that's FUNNY because by nature, most shippers are militant - at least the die hard ones are to the point of actually comical

I don't really follow Mugglenet, or the issue that much, but it's sad that JKR would ridicule some of her most devoted fans in such a way.

I just thought of something else that is not really all that important, but interesting all the same. The old lady that Voldemort probably stole the cup & locket from - Hepzibah Smith - has the same last name as the DA member Zacharias Smith. I usually would never put this much store into something so miniscule of a detail, especially with a last name as commonplace as Smith, but JKR has always used names as something of importance in her books. Also with the added fact that Hepzibah was somehow descended to the Hufflepuffs and Zacharias is a Hufflepuff? It just seems too coincidental for it to be insignificant. Thoughts?

Well, let's be fair. Jo never said the delusional thing--in fact she said she wouldn't call them that. It was just Emerson who called them Delusional and I think it's one of those things where you have to be there to really get it.

alias_fan said:
I just thought of something else that is not really all that important, but interesting all the same.  The old lady that Voldemort probably stole the cup & locket from - Hepzibah Smith - has the same last name as the DA member Zacharias Smith.  I usually would never put this much store into something so miniscule of a detail, especially with a last name as commonplace as Smith, but JKR has always used names as something of importance in her books.  Also with the added fact that Hepzibah was somehow descended to the Hufflepuffs and Zacharias is a Hufflepuff?  It just seems too coincidental for it to be insignificant.  Thoughts?
[post="1426070"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

ohhhhhhhhhhhh yes that is very intersting
but i dont remember zacharias smith very well... was he the bitter one who didnt like DA? or am i confusing him w/ someone?

I completely disagree with that statement. I don't think HUfflepuffs are rejects, at all.

They just acept everyone and the reason for that is because they're loyal. Loyalty to all wizards allows them to bring everyone in.

I know Smith was on the Hufflepuff Quidditch team--he was the one doing the first commentary.

You know, I was thinking... why did Dumbledore give Draco such a long leash? I mean because of his turning a blind eye to Draco's efforts two people nearly died. I mean after those two incidents, how could he let draco keep on running around? I would've locked him in a room for..well..ever..

Xin Li

Dumbledore was against locking people up for the sake of locking people up. Remember that's why he was against the Ministry in HBP.

He had no proof against Draco, he had suspicions. But without proof he couldn't do it without being a hypocrit.

Kewii said:
Dumbledore was against locking people up for the sake of locking people up.  Remember that's why he was against the Ministry in HBP.

He had no proof against Draco, he had suspicions.  But without proof he couldn't do it without being a hypocrit.
[post="1426240"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

But in the conversation at the end, Dumbledore was sure that it was Draco, and that he had been trying to kill him all year. And strong suspicions should have been enough for dumbledore to question Draco, and possibly use veritas serum, or legilimancy against him. It would be like bringing someone in for questioning. And the veritas serum would've been like a lie detector. And he could've made sure that draco did not drink any anti serum or what not. Dumbledore is too soft sometimes. I think snape is absolutely right. He always chooses to always see the best in people even when such a naive approach is the least strategic option of all. He could learn a thing or two from Jack Bristow. You know if Jack Bristow ran Hogwarts, half the stuff that draco did in book 6 wouldn't have happened. Unadulterated idealism and adherance to moral standards never got anyone anything. The world is gray, so dumbledore should've adapted to it and adjusted his methods accordingly, instead of blindly and foolishly cling to his "see good in all people" mantra.

Xin Li

But look at some of the people he did give second chances to.

The biggest one that comes to mind is Hagrid. Was he really so wrong to see good in Hagrid? I seriously doubt it.

Dumbledore is Dumbledore. He's the hope figure in the books. Part of being the hope figure is seeing the best in people.

You can see hope in people without being blind to reality and the risks associated with being blinded. Hagrid, I'm sure, gave the teachers far more reason to believe him. And if you look back on everything draco has done, the least dumbledore could've done is question him and gotten the truth out of him. And if afterwards, he was found innocent, and he felt his rights have been violated, dumbledore could've planted a false memory in him to make him remember that he was just questioned and and then released without all the invasive measures that dumbledore probably would've had to take. And draco would've never known the difference.

And now look where he got everyone? He is dead, the wizarding world is mourning his death, and the beacon of light that he was, is now extinguished. The wizarding world is more hopeless then ever. Smart move dumbledore. Real smart.

xinli11 said:
You can see hope in people without being blind to reality and the risks associated with being blinded.  Hagrid, I'm sure, gave the teachers far more reason to believe him.  And if you look back on everything draco has done, the least dumbledore could've done is question him and gotten the truth out of him.  And if afterwards, he was found innocent, and he felt his rights have been violated, dumbledore could've planted a false memory in him to make him remember that he was just questioned and and then released without all the invasive measures that dumbledore probably would've had to take.  And draco would've never known the difference. 

And now look where he got everyone?  He is dead, the wizarding world is mourning his death, and the beacon of light that he was, is now extinguished.  The wizarding world is more hopeless then ever.  Smart move dumbledore.  Real smart.
[post="1426303"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

The way I see it this comes down to "WILL" what I mean by will is that dumbledor believes that every human been has a choice is what choices you make that would define the kind of person you are. If I have to give you example look at our parents they guided us for most of our life giving us advise when we need it, talking and asking questions and teaching us as much as they can so we could survive in the real world but ultimatelly is our choices that would defined our life and weather we do right or wrong or like God (if you can see Dumblendor as a God) he is suppost to love us even when we mess up he is the most powerfull being in the world and he is wise and then you ask yourself if he is so powerfull and wise then why he let bad things happen why dosn't he do something to stop bad thing to happen again because every human being has a choice and will. Almost he same thing applies in here Dumblendor is wise and powerfull yes, but he knows that he can stop them from doing what they want or making the choices that they want to make its not on his nature, he would do his best to teach them the right path but in the end its their choice. He did this with Voldemor and Harry he try to be a guide to tom riddle aka voldemor the first time that he meet him and sense that he would need so guidence even though he sense the vicioness of his action Dumblendor prefer to believe that there was still hope for him. The same with Harry through all this years at Hogwats Harry has gone and face many challenges Dumblendor has been their to try and guide him but is Harry's choice what he wants to be like in the first book when the sorting hat want it to put him at slythering but harry want it to be at griffindor. It just will.

Have you guys been reading the Mugglnet interview? She subtly denied the "Dumbledore told Snape to kill him if the occasion arose" theory. She said that she "wasn't going to shoot it down" but it sounded like she thought that maybe she should.

syd_spy47 said:
But the thing is, they clearly weren't joking, unless thousands of people across the internet got it wrong and misinterperted.  :eyebrow:

I think annearchy from LJ got what I'm trying to say best.
Looking past your glee about R/Hr officially canon, how would you feel if you had lumped into a group and referred to as delusional and militant?
[post="1426023"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I will rave about my love of Ron/Hermione till I die, but the way Emerson behaved made me extremely uncomfortable, and yes, disappointed in Mugglenet as a whole. It was so elitist and in your face, I just... I dunno. I didn't like the way he was acting. Maybe it's just the rash 19-year-old way or something, but it came out all wrong.

However, I think we should give JKR a little more credit. If you wrote a series intended for a specific ship and tried to show it your best way, you'd be a little shocked at other large ships just because it means you didn't write it as clearly as you thought you did. So maybe that's why she thought it sort of amusing. However, she wasn't ridiculing H/Hr shippers. As a writer, I can sort of understand. And she told Emerson repeatedly not to use the word "dilusional" though he didn't seem to hear her.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that. It's the sort of thing that nobody should have to take from ANYONE. Just because he is the head of a major Harry Potter website does not give him the right to knock people out like that. Christ, he should be watching what he says! As an almost rolemodel!

About the video: I would have cried if it were me, but since it wasn't, I'll laugh. A lot. :laughbounce:

xinli11 said:
You know, I was thinking... why did Dumbledore give Draco such a long leash? I mean because of his turning a blind eye to Draco's efforts two people  nearly died.  I mean after those two incidents, how could he let draco keep on running around?  I would've locked him in a room for..well..ever..

Xin Li
[post="1426220"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think Dumbledore tries to see the best in people. And he was hoping that in the end Draco would have a change of heart or find out he isn't really a murderer. And i agree he probably didn't have any proof it was Draco. Even if he didn't want it to be him.

Selene said:
The way I see it  this comes down to "WILL" what I mean by will is that dumbledor believes that every human been has a choice is what choices you make that would define the kind of person you are. If I have to give you example look at our parents they guided us for most of our life giving us advise when we need it, talking and asking questions and teaching us as much as they can so we could survive in the real world but ultimatelly is our choices that would defined our life and weather we do right or wrong or like God (if you can see Dumblendor as a God) he is suppost to love us even when we mess up he is the most powerfull being in the world and he is wise and then you ask yourself if he is so powerfull and wise then why he let bad things happen why dosn't he do something to stop bad thing to happen again because every human being has a choice and will.  Almost he same thing applies in here Dumblendor is wise and powerfull yes, but he knows that he can stop them from doing what they want or making the choices that they want to make its not on his nature, he would do his best to teach them the right path but in the end its their choice.  He did this with Voldemor and Harry he try to be a guide to tom riddle aka voldemor the first time that he meet him and sense that he would need so guidence even though he sense the vicioness of his action Dumblendor  prefer to believe that there was still hope for him. The same with Harry through all this years at Hogwats Harry has gone and face many challenges Dumblendor has been their to try and guide him but is Harry's choice what he wants to be like in the first book when the sorting hat want it to put him at slythering but harry want it to be at griffindor.  It just will.
[post="1426347"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah, I knew all of that deep down. But I've just been so bitter about his death for the last 5 days..It's eating me alive. I"ve been b****ing about it to Janet over IM for a while now, pretty much cursing snape and draco and pretty much all of the slytherins to death.

^ yes, yes he has....

i dunno... i stil keep going back and forth on snape being good/evil double/tripple agent type thing... i'd like to believe he's good but he's just so wicked

I don't understand why there is such a huge online group of Snape fans. I don't like him very much... They all love him and want to marry him! :blink: Especially on Mugglenet. The featured fics are almost always about him.

Back