Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Yeah he could've. But I think at a time like that, you rarely think clearly. You pretty much use the first spell that comes to mind. I would also point out that, in the amount of time it would take harry to say the entire spell, the death eater would've been able to say protego quite quickly, since it's so much shorter. Harry really shouldn't have been a slacker, and practiced silent spellcasting more studiously. That sometimes drives me nuts about harry. I mean he knows clearly that EVERYTHING he learns in class is of vital importance in the real world. Why the HELL doesn't he study harder, and forget about the retarded stuff like Quidditch? I mean really, if he learned silence spell casting better, he might have been able to at least maim snape with a kiling curse, seeing how he probably doesn't have enough hatred to kill him.

i don't get that either! i'm especially when he knows that HE's the one who has to kill Lord Voldemort! he should be finding new powerful spells and practicing like mad instead of being mopey the whole time :rolleyes:

i watched Dateline last night and there was an interview with J.K Rowling and she said she already started writing the 7 th book! :happydance:
she also said that if she died somehow before she could finish the book, that no one knows what she's planning so we would never know how the story finishes! :shock:

i would go insane if i didn't hear some ron and hermione shippy and who dies in the end- harry of voldy?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :rip:

WHAT!! NO!! we need a plan in order in case - god forbid- the accidental death of JKR!!! she needs to write it all down and put it with the last chapter so that we all know!!!!!!
i didnt get to see the interview yet...i taped it cuz i had a bad headache last night

I know!

she should write out her plans for the book and hide it away somewhere and then thell a very close person whom she trusts that if anything happens to her they can find her plans at such-and-such ;)

xinli11 said:
Why the HELL doesn't he study harder, and forget about the retarded stuff like Quidditch?  I mean really, if he learned silence spell casting better, he might have been able to at least maim snape with a kiling curse, seeing how he probably doesn't have enough hatred to kill him.
[post="1422826"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I know! If he was more studious than Hermione, Dumbledore might've actually been alive!!! ARGH!

(i'm just bitter, dont' mind me. ;) )
--Mandy :angelic:

I always thought Draco was a bit of a coward, so I really wasn't that surprised when he couldn't go through with it.

As for Harry: Harry loves Quidditch. He doesn't have a lot of stuff in his life that makes him happy now. Everything keeps getting torn away. I think he deserves Quidditch. He deserves to be out there flying because he loves it so much.

It's part of who he is.

I agree, Kewii with about Draco and Quidditch to Harry.

And I think I figured out why I didn't like HBP so much. I think it has to do with the character developement. In OotP, we got to see inside Harry's head and it felt like we were feeling what he was, however much we wanted to hit him at the time. This book seemed rushed, and for the first time, I felt disconnected from Harry. By the end, I was screaming in my head, bring back moody-harry or whatever, just as long as I feel the passionate Harry again that I felt the past 4 years. So much of it was action and dialogue, that we missed out on what Harry was truly feeling.

I also felt like we were taking a trip into the land of the backstory, half of the time. I understand why and what Jo was trying to show, but that doesn't mean I necessarily want to read about ALL of it. I'd much rather read about the Marauder's, not Tom Riddle and his extended, messed up family. *shrugs*

Am I alone in thinking this, or does anybody agree?

Sort of, :hi: to my sista btw, I think all the riddle stuff was obviously important and I still liked the book but it did get a little tedious at points, I mean I wanted to see more from Lupin, he was barely in there, and some of the other characters that I felt we just saw a lot more of in book5.....I dunno. Been sunbathing I can't type very well rigth now, forgive me. ;) Heat stroke. :thud:

syd_spy47 said:
I agree, Kewii with about Draco and Quidditch to Harry.

And I think I figured out why I didn't like HBP so much. I think it has to do with the character developement. In OotP, we got to see inside Harry's head and it felt like we were feeling what he was, however much we wanted to hit him at the time. This book seemed rushed, and for the first time, I felt disconnected from Harry. By the end, I was screaming in my head, bring back moody-harry or whatever, just as long as I feel the passionate Harry again that I felt the past 4 years. So much of it was action and dialogue, that we missed out on what Harry was truly feeling.

I also felt like we were taking a trip into the land of the backstory, half of the time. I understand why and what Jo was trying to show, but that doesn't mean I necessarily want to read about ALL of it. I'd much rather read about the Marauder's, not Tom Riddle and his extended, messed up family. *shrugs*

Am I alone in thinking this, or does anybody agree?
[post="1423286"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah draco is a coward. However, that doesn't mean he is not dangerous. Cowardly people may not have the balls to carry out the final blow. But they can certainly do enough damage to matter, like Wormtail and now Draco. As for Harry, I still feel like he doesn't study hard enough for what he knows he must do. I agree in the end, it's not spells that's gonna matter. But still, every little bit helps. And sometimes he is incredibly arrogant, and quite fool hardy. But I suppose so were we all at the age of 16, too sure of ourselves, and reluctant to recognize the wisdom of age ande experience.

On a separate point, I think there is a lot more to the snape story. Here's why:

1) when Snape took the unbreakable vow, there were 3 things Narcissa wanted him to promise. The 3rd was that he would do darco's deed if he couldn't. Before she said it, the book mentions that Snape's fingers twiched. I think he knew, and wasn't comfortable with the idea. But he had no choice, because I think he felt necessary to prove his loyalty at that point.

2) He argued with Dumbledore about his role. If he were really a double agent for Voldy, wouldn't he want to stay in the best graces of dumbledore? I think dumbledore was asking him to do the unthinkable, if the situation ever arose. That is to kill him in order to save harry.

3) If we take #2 to be true, then the look of contempt on Snape's face could be interpreted as a) he resents Dumbledore for putting him in this situation, and b) he knows now his life is gonna be like hell, and all because of little harry, so there is great loathing for harry.

4) And if that were the case, it would also explain why Dumbledore pleaded with snape. It wasn't for his life. It was for harry's.

5) This would now explain why snape was so angry when harry called him a coward.

Hey sis---I haven't talked to you forever (being that I haven't been on here for months).

I agree about Lupin. I wish we could have seen more of him, especially from a mentor/friend perspective, especially after Sirius. Though I did love him at the end with Tonks. One of the only points that made smile.

And those are really good points, xinli11. I wouldn't have thought of that, not yet, anyways.

One thing I did enjoy though, that we all seem to be in agreement with, is smart-ass Harry. That I could see more of

Well, I have to disaagree with Xinli--to a certain extent.

Yes, cowards can be dangerous. But look at Draco and Wormtail. I doubt that either one of them could pull off murdering someone. Yes, they'll arrange for those people to die (ie Wormtail telling Voldemort where the Potters were hiding and draco arranging for the Death eaters to come), but when it comes to arranging the actual killing, I don't think they have it in them.

And there's so many scenarious that could play out with Snape.

He could have been arguing with Dumbledore about having to kill him. He could have been perserving himself (as we've been told Slytherins always do).
But I have to wonder, if Snape is really and truly acting for the good side, then why did he stupefy Flitwick when he was coming out of his room?

He could've easily ditched anyone in the confusion of battle, yet he chose to remove someone who was fighting against the Death Eaters from battle.

I really can't tell where Snape is coming from.

Kewii

Another thing about Snape...

Death Eaters aren't known to be compassionate, as I'm lacking the right word. Instead of using a worthless "stupefy", why not finish flitwick off. It takes just as much as time, and I'm sure he knows Flitwick will be helping the good side, why not take out as many as you can, while you have a chance.

I always found Snape intriguing before, and that hasn't changed. I just wish I had any idea where he stands. I do fear for him though. He's completely p*ssed Harry off, and that should be plenty scary. I don't think Harry's going to be feeling very compassionate towards him and willing to listen to him, if he were to try and explain.

Kewii said:
Well, I have to disaagree with Xinli--to a certain extent.

Yes, cowards can be dangerous.  But look at Draco and Wormtail.  I doubt that either one of them could pull off murdering someone.  Yes, they'll arrange for those people to die (ie Wormtail telling Voldemort where the Potters were hiding and draco arranging for the Death eaters to come), but when it comes to arranging the actual killing, I don't think they have it in them.

And there's so many scenarious that could play out with Snape.

He could have been arguing with Dumbledore about having to kill him.  He could have been perserving himself (as we've been told Slytherins always do).
But I have to wonder, if Snape is really and truly acting for the good side, then why did he stupefy Flitwick when he was coming out of his room?

He could've easily ditched anyone in the confusion of battle, yet he chose to remove someone who was fighting against the Death Eaters from battle.

I really can't tell where Snape is coming from.

Kewii
[post="1423305"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think there is a marked difference between Wormtail and Draco. Woarmtail did kill. He killed 50 muggles, and he killed Cedric. He is not afraid to kill, if he has the backing of someone more powerfu. Draco does not . Draco is not evil yet, though the people around him certainly are pushing him down that path.

and as for snape.. I definitely think he was aruging for self preservation, because he knows killing dumbledore was gonna bring him trouble. If he were truly a deatheater, I think he would have confidence that Voldy would protect him. He could just go back to him. But he can't. and as for stunning Flitwick, I really don't know.

Snape's an oddball, there's something about him that just doesn't settle right :Ponder: he's bad but there's a feeling I get about him that says there's a teeny bit of good in him..... i don't know......

I'd forgotten about Wormtail killing the muggles.

I still think my point stand stills, with a slight alteration.

It's one thing to send people who you know and have lived with off to die. it's quite another to look them in the eye and then cast that final spell.

But back to Snape, I still think he's too complex for us to figure out. No matter how he plays out, half of the fans are going to be wrong with what they think about him.

I've never been a big fan of Snape, but for some reason in HBP I suddenly didn't want him to turn out bad enough to kill Dumbledore.
I know people are discussing agreements he may have had with Dumbledore, that maybe he *had* to kill him to save Harry or something.

The problem I have with these ideas(as much as I want to believe them) comes from book 5. After Sirius' death Harry tries to perform the Cruciatus curse on Bellatrix but she tells him it takes true hatred to cast an unforgivable curse and that he just didn't have enough hate. Surely it would therefore take a great deal of evil/hatred towards the person to successfully cast Avada Kedavra :thinking:

I had thought about that Trinity. Good call on bringing it up.

Do you guys think Snape really does hate Dumbledore? Could he hate what he had to do enough that he blamed Dumbledore and through that transference he could kill him?

Call me Helen ^_^

And yeah I was wondering whether his hatred was not directly towards Dumbledore but towards the position he'd put him in :blink: Still to kill him? Thats a lot of hate

Back