Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Wow, that ending was just gut-wrenching. I cried through about the last fifty pages or so. Damn Snape! I am proud to say that I never liked him, although I would never have predicted that HE would be the one to kill Dumbledore.

JKR is the master of surprises.

Other parts I didn't see coming:
- Snape being the one who told Voldemort about the Prophecy
- Draco becoming a Death Eater
- Tonks/Lupin and Ron/Lavendar

I can't believe Hogwarts might close. And Harry has to kill 4/7 of Voldemort's soul before he can kill the real thing. I was really hoping we would find out more about Lily since she was one of Slug's fave students, but oh well. The lessons with Dumbledore were enlightening, but sad considering what happened in the end.

BAH! I JUST finished because stupid people kept on calling me! <_< The last 50 pages literally took me 3 hours to read (well one was spent watching Big Brother 6 but not the point. :P) Just so many things in the book. I mean I can't hate the book because it wasn't as tedious as book five but SHE KILLED DUMBLEDORE!! WTF?!!!! ARGH :cry:

I did like how she revealed more of Voldemort's history, that much I appreciated. I hated the fact that Harry always thought that he was right in this book. He NEVER listened to Hermione, or Ron really and thinking upon it, so many mistakes could've prevented from that, he was just ARGH overall.

Lupin and Tonk were like complete WOAH out of no where but kinda sweet and cute. ;) Wonder why Tonk fell in love with Lupin. ^_^ and Fleur, I dont' know if I should be annoyed by her or just laugh. :lol: She thinks that she looks good enough for both of them. :rotflmao: that just completely cracked me up. Then she said that the English cooks their steaks too much :lol: *sigh*

Still deciding if I like the book or not...
--Mandy :angelic:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just finished it! Which is good because the whole of yesterday was spent watching alias dvds (my two obsessions...) and WOW!!!

DIE SNAPE DIE. DIE DRACO DIE. DIE HERMIONE DIE. <-- That's just me, though. Does anyone else think it would be REALLY horrible yet great if either Hermione or Ron died without ever getting together? Am I just weird?

But DUMBLEDORE!! No!!! I don't WANT him to be dead! (n)

And the 'shipping! Oh, god, the 'shipping! Let us count them: Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione, Ron/Lavender, Tonks/Lupin, Hermione/McLaggen, Hermione/Krum, suspected Filch/Pince, suspected Tonks/Sirius, Bill/Fleur, Ginny/Dean, accidental Ron/Romilda, attempted Harry/Romilda, Draco/Pansy, Hagrid/Maxime... just. so. many.

It's not BAD... It's just a BIG change from almost NO romance to this mad romantic frenzy. DON'T GIVE INTO THE FANGIRLS J.K!!!

I thought RAB was Regulus Black too! Also, I thought Ollivander would play a role, seeing as his name is an anagram for 'An Evil Lord' (as much as i wish it was, that's not my theory, it's Dragix's.) AND, I thought Neville would be really really good at everything because he got his own wand, not his Dad's.

SNAPE? EVIL HALF-BLOOD PRINCE? I really didn't see that coming... Or the Horcrux thing.

HA, to Harry's 'Get Slughorn Drunk' plan! DRACO??? DRACO?????? DRACO??????????

In so much shock. So very much shock.

I just finished due to surprise afternoon visitors. Damn them. This just..can't be real. I'm in shock....I just.....I don't even know what to type. my ships came true, and I was marking pages and squealing over every H/G moment and somehow I've managed to go from happily post-it-ing to a sticky tear streaked face (have you any idea what it took not to splotch my book.....) and the feeling that I've just been Stunned. I need sleep. I haven't slept since thursday night. Actually, I'm not sure what day it is, is it sunday now? Well, I will be back....mark my words. Good god. I don't even dare to use an expressive little shocked emotion.....

I didn't even cry at first....I was just....befuddled. I sobbed for sirius. It took another chapter or two for it to even begin to sink in.....

Surely I've just gotten a counterfeit book........Chapter 11 Bookstore, this cannot be what I waited 2 years for. Not that I don't like it but.....I suppose this uncomfortable pointy thing I'm sitting on is "the fence". Will reply tomorrow. But to the very last post which i've just seen, I thought Regulus too. ;) And Snape=HBP? So called it from the time we were introduced Harry's ragged little Potions buddy. Kept supressing the thought that he could do it though...bastard.

sink in.....
ETA:: speaking of sinking.....I'd just like to take a moment from my severe trauma and grief to:

*point and laugh at all the sunken ships* I told you so.

ETAA: (b/c I can't seem to leave now) Though I do adore my ships, and Tonks/Remus was a minor side dish for me as well, I couldn't help the thought that popped into mind while reading the mascara friendly chapters of the book.....Who thinks Jo reads fanfiction on the sly? :lol:

yeah I thought Regulus too because didn't it say he converted? well Idk

I have a question though it's nice and random- how come at the Quidditch try outs there were 1st years? (they couldn't make it round the pitch) because i thought 1st years couldn't be on the teams beacuse harry had to get special permission to go on and was the 1st for 100 years...

and did anyone else get the latin jokes? Or am i the only idiot who studied latin?

i bought the book at 12:15 on saturday...i finished it at 12:15 on sunday. literally took me exactly 24 hours. will post my livejournal rant on here in a moment...

m-c

let me say first off, because this was one of my first reactions to the book, i am very angry at bill weasley. i would have thought he had better taste. i mean really, fleur? yucky. on the subject of relationships, i was mad at hermione for most of the book for dealing with ron in a pissy teenage girl way. i was also pissed at ron for dealing with hermione in a pissy teenage boy way. and i was pissed at harry for suddenly and out of nowhere adoring ginny. but i did like the celebration of the quidditch match.
i thought voldemort was going to be the half blood prince. but it was snape. interesting. speaking of snape, i don't really like him actually being evil. i like continuous suspicisions but him always being good. and i don't really know how he could possibly be any good since he has killed dumbledore. there's really not any room for redemption there. and the whole prophecy thing with snape. i can't hate wormtail (i know he's only mentioned in the book twice but stick with me for a second) for leading voldemort to harry, because wormtail is one of the most pathetic things in the world. but snape...well snape has ability and personality and confidence. snape truly chose his route. i'm really not fond of him.
it's a disgusting feeling, really it is: pity for malfoy. it's disgusting. i hate that i like him a little. i hate that he was afraid, that he was normal, that he wasn't quite as evil as he always seemed. i hate that i pity him. everyone wants to be special--in the eyes of their parents, teachers, other adults, anyone--and he is trying his best. how is he supposed to react when he has a family who openly hates anyone who isn't pureblood and are always constantly expecting him to be better than anyone. i feel sorry for him.
dumbledore. i mean, really. joanne, what are you thinking? you kill sirius, you kill dumbledore. i'm beginning to think that no one has as bad of a life as harry. not to mention that you killed dumbledore just when he was getting true personality and none of that scary, semi-omniscent stuff he's always had going on. however, i do hope that mcgonall takes a higher role in the next book; she always has been my favourite teacher.
that leads us to the fact that harry is not going back to hogwarts. i realise hogwarts without dumbledore would be weird, but a harry potter book without hogwarts would be even worse. of course, i suppose it has to be this way. there is no snape at hogwarts anymore, would be no malfoy. harry has more important things to do than learn.
this again leads us to another point, harry dumped ginny because he didn't want voldemort using her to get to him. however, he was fine and dandy with the fact that ron and hermione were staying by his side. i didn't really understand that. i mean, does he care for them more or less by letting them put themselves in danger for him? grr...it just plain bothers me.
and of course, r.a.b. i'm sure harry will find and befriend whoever he or she is. should be interesting. i hope he or she is hot. that'd be nice. ooh speaking of, i don't like the idea of voldemort being handsome, but they mention it every time harry sees him. it's like she's sorta showing that harry is attracted to him. i find that funny.

that was what i posted on livejournal almost immediately after finishing the book. *sighs* i miss dumblydorr. really just when he was getting some personality...miss sirius too, even though that doesn't have much to do with this book. at least i didn't cry...
oh that reminds me! i'm very excited about tonks and lupin. very very excited. love it. adore it. really.
that's all i have to say

m-c

[quote name='i'm an aliasaholic' date='Jul 17 2005, 06:13 AM']and did anyone else get the latin jokes? Or am i the only idiot who studied latin?
[post="1421951"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
[/quote]

I studied Latin :cool: but I was never very good at it (particularly the vocab), so I missed the jokes. Were they the spells? That's what they've been in the past.

And did anyone notice the Rupert Grint shout-out? Sluggy called Ron Rupert. Hee hee.

^^^ i didn't see the shout out- what page was it on?

it's been a day now since i finished the book and i'm still in shock :shock: i just can't believe Dumbledore is dead :(

grrr stupid Malfoy, i hate hate him!!!!!!!!!!!! he's such a coward and just.....pfffft :angry:

Brittany said:
*point and laugh at all the sunken ships*  I told you so.

ETAA:  (b/c I can't seem to leave now)  Though I do adore my ships, and Tonks/Remus was a minor side dish for me as well, I couldn't help the thought that popped into mind while reading the mascara friendly chapters of the book.....Who thinks Jo reads fanfiction on the sly?  :lol:
[post="1421908"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Harry/Ginny only lasted about 100 pages! it was eventually sunken anyways. Maybe Harry will move onto bigger and better things in the future. :P

i said:
[post="1421951"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

:lol: that's so true eh? :lol: *shrugs* I've got no answers to that. ;)

--mandy :angelic:

ive got a question
ok harry looked @ the date in the HBP's potions book... and it was 50 yrs earlier which was too long ago for his parents.... but snape was in the same class as James... so... :wtf: unless snape used an old book

AND also is this a mistake?
that whatever curse that strung ron up by the leg.. james uses it in their 5th year on snape... but suposidly snape invented it but he didnt write it down untill his 6th year potions book....

50-16 = 34. Then remember that they said that the book belonged to Snape's mother? so if you cut that in half it's only 17. ;) It's either Snape's mother was a young mother or James and Lily were really... :naughty:

:lol:

I dont' remember much from book 5 so I'll take your word for it, but the cirriculum could be different years before. ;)

Dim Bulb said:
I studied Latin :cool: but I was never very good at it (particularly the vocab), so I missed the jokes.  Were they the spells?  That's what they've been in the past.

[post="1422017"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yeah the spells but also some of the PWs and the vampire's name and some other things :Ponder: I remember thing wow here's the reason it's useful to know some latin :lol:

and Janet Lupin said that the spell was popular when he was at school and although snape didn't write it down untill he put it in that 6th year book he could very easily have made it up before that and if someone hear him do it somone else could easily do it too

I really like how this book was a lot funnier in a laugh-out-loud kind of a way which is strange considering how dark it was...

there were other random things i noticed and didin't get but i've forgoten them now :Ponder: I told janet maybe she'll remember...

Also another thing about the potions book. If Snape's stuff are second hand, and he was really good at potions, then it's only logical that he does advanced reading in potions. ;)

mystery_chick said:
50-16 = 34. Then remember that they said that the book belonged to Snape's mother? so if you cut that in half it's only 17. ;) It's either Snape's mother was a young mother or James and Lily were really... :naughty:

[post="1422060"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:rotflmao:

i said:
[post="1422067"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:lol: nope. i dont remember but it was really early....

I think with the Quidditch thing, we were never told First Years couldn't play. They just can't own brooms.
And looking at the display in the book, it's not surprising First Years don't usually make the team--they were all bad flyers.

Dim Bulb said:
And did anyone notice the Rupert Grint shout-out?  Sluggy called Ron Rupert.  Hee hee.
[post="1422017"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:D yeah! Too cute, totally caught that one and thought about Rupert. ^_^

mystery_chick said:
Harry/Ginny only lasted about 100 pages! it was eventually sunken anyways. Maybe Harry will move onto bigger and better things in the future. :P
[post="1422050"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I really don't appreciate that mandy, :mellow: Did she not say and I quote:I never really gave up on you"

"Maybe that's why I like you so much" @his need to hunt for voldemort.
They still love eachother, it's meant to be. :hmm:

So basically they will OBVIOUSLY GET BACK TOGETHER WHEN HE'S DONE KICKING VOLDY'S ASS!

*plugs fingers in ears* :whistle: *crawls into corner with laptop to visit SQ for H/G support.*

That is if Harry doesn't die before he kills Voldy! :P

I like to see Voldy pwn Harry's ass just so that you dont' get your H/G ship! HA!

Back