Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

1. i didn't like the inconsistancies (ex. overall timeline of Harry Potter)
2. British English is harder to understand than I thought
3. I didn't like the way that Rowling kills off Dumbledore. i knew that it was coming cuz she announced that someone will die, but i thought it would be more glorious
4. i didn't like how it was Snape who kills him
5. i didn't like Snape turned out to be the Half-Blood Prince's identity, but i should have guessed
6. i didn't like how the first 200 pages was useless more or less
7. i didn't like how the story "ends" so abruptly

7 dislikes...

i liked how she tossed in a bit of humour here and there. i must say that the newly developed ships were a bit odd for me. there are many questions that i asked when i read the story.

overall, it all comes down to one word: over-rated

maybe you felt it was overrated, but many of us loved the book and saying it's overrated sort of implies that we're all being idiots. It would be fairer if you simply said you didn't enjoy it.

I'm not sure how the 'newly developed' ships were weird for you as basically every single one had been hinted at. Even Remus and Tonks had some hints.

Also, how is British English being hard for you a dislike? You could've bought the American version. You chose not to. It's not the writers fault you don't understand certain things.

the differences in writing between American and Briutish English are minimal, in my opinion, and I should know since that is related to what I study.

Having said that, I've just finished reading the book and I loved it!! It's not my fave out of the 6, but still really good. Lots of shocking events that left me dumfounded, awestruck and amazed to name a few. lol. And I'm sooooooooooo looking forward to the 7th book already I can't believe it. :P

Scarlet Crystal said:
Well then...
Part 3 is up! Hmm... the last question caught my eye. Any thoughts?
[post="1428037"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yes mine too!! verrrrrrry interesting
also the part about guessing a horcrux :Ponder:

^ yeah i loved the bit with snape & the death eaters
the part with the 2 ministers... i guess it was interesting to see that the muggles actually knew about magic well at least the Prime Minister did but... i dunno i thought it was kinda a slow start to the book... but that's proably just cuz it was 1 am.... and i was like must.read.on. *falls asleep* :lol:

I finally finished (Hey, I've been sooo busy!). I really liked it. The beginning didn't leave the greatest taste in my mouth (lots of exposition which usually isn't how the books start) but I really liked it toward the end. I was surprised at how dark Harry had become, but, y'know like every adult he's ever loved has been...like, murdered. Unfortunately I had read the pg. 606 spoiler so I already knew about the death :(

One of the big inconsistencies that annoyed me was that Harry said the HBP couldn't have been his father, the book was too old. So how could it have been Snape's?

The fall-out with Ginny was very Spiderman-esque, wasn't it? lol.

I liked how J.K. sort of threw a curveball, with Harry declaring he wouldn't be returning to Hogwarts even if it opened. Originally when I heard there would only be seven books, one for each year, I was doubtful that Harry would be able to kill Voldemort in that time. However, it appears the final book will be solely devoted to that, so it seems a lot more believable now.

Hibou said:
One of the big inconsistencies that annoyed me was that Harry said the HBP couldn't have been his father, the book was too old. So how could it have been Snape's?
[post="1428769"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yes that was the first thing i thought.... untill i realized it was his mother's but still...

yeah that's not an inconsistency really....it was just...a red herring of sorts I guess.....

newhos, just wanted to quickly say:
HAHA! *points and laughs* at Kelly,
and that is just the cutest pic. I love it. Ben's reading HP...hehe! ^_^

Did anyone else think that the HBP would be Dumbledore? Before he found spectumsempra or whatever it was, I thought that it very well could have been Dumbledore. Would have been a cool twist, huh?

yeah, would've been an interesting twist, but with all the potions notes I already had the feeling it would be Snape, despite the fact that it was old, and we didn't yet know it was his mother's.....I think Alias has kind of taught me to ignore the logical details sometimes.....in a good way. :lol:

I liked how JK broke the format we'd been getting in all the other books, you know, chapter 1 with Harry being at his uncle's, then going to Hogwarts, and the book finishing with the mistery/problem solved and going back to his uncle's. So I tto enjoyed the first few chapters.

we are totally down to the wire now. i can't wait for book 7... I wonder why Voldy wanted the DADA position so much, and why he cursed the position so no one else can have it. Was there some item that only the DADA teacher can get access to? Perhaps something he wanted to turn into a Horcrux?

Wow. I never would have thought of that. It seems like a bit of a long shot. Maybe he just wanted Snape to control the flow of information against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts. If the kids are less prepared to fight him, he wins easier. I dunno.

I don't think that Voldy is too concerned about the young wizards. Remember what DD told harry about the magic on the boat they used to cross the river? Voldy did not consider under age wizards to be a threat. It is possible that he was just vindictive and took the "If I can't have it, no one can" position about the DADA job. But I still wonder if there is more to it than that.

That was the saddest book yet i got all teary reading the end (i heard jk cried writing the ending too) The only part from the cave on that i really smiled i mean i like beame during the whole lupin:love: tonks thing i loved that so much.

Back