Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I don't think there's any chance that H/Hr will happen. JKR said they were just platonic friends. I don't get people who focus solely on the romantic stuff in HP.

I know. I'm glad there isn't a H/H. I mean there had to be something in the book about relationships, but the reason I read the book is for the adventures that they go on and the stupid desisions Harry makes. It's not like I've been reading all the books going 'ok when is Harry gonna get with some girl?' I was like noooo way! when she put R/H together. They were suposed to be best friends, and not boyfriend/girlfriend. Anyway I got over it and now it's Ok. But whats really bugging me is that Harry said he wasn't coming back to Hogwarts. You know he has to. And just wondering, whose gonna be head of Gryfindor now McGonnagal (sp?) is headmistress? *scoffs* It better not be someone like Hagrid, that would suck. But what house was he in anyway? I forgot.

re The romantic stuff. I think JKR has done a fantastic job of showing how people of the 12 - 17 year age groups have 'relationships'. I think everybody is focussing on the romance too much, considering that the characters are still just kids.

Now I like my romance in novels, but in Harry Potter, it is far from the most important thing. Harry and Hermione getting together is just weird. I actually liked her best with Krum because she really does seem to need someone older and, well, a little less like Ron or Harry. I love the Harry/Hermione (platonic) relationship just as it is now.

Now, I've only just finished the book, so I'd like to make a comment about it.

I think there were less points in this one than the last one where the plot seemed to drag. I think the momentum was a lot better.

However, I have one huge gripe with it. After all of the build up to the juicy bits, I felt short-changed when such a small portion of the ending was devoted to it! I would have been happier with fewer 'lessons' and 'Quidditch' chapters, and more about the Death Eaters and the struggle.

It all seemed to wrap up far too quickly.

And I found it a little insulting that JKR chose to focus on the relationships of minor characters two seconds after the death of a VERY MAJOR character. I felt like she didn't give her readers a chance to mourn such a momentous thing before she wanted to wrap up the book with a bit of romance and a semi-happy ending.

And, if she is planning to move the next book in such a different direction, I would have liked to have seen that move beginning in this book. I mean that I would have liked JKR to start moving the focus away from the school activities in this book rather than wrenching us out of Hogwarts and dumping us somewhere else in the next book.

So, if you bothered to read all of my ramblings, that is what I think! :D

Yes. She moved on from Sirius awfully quickly. After all that fan fiction, I expected him to have a major break-down and not recover for ages. But then, what do you know? He's moved on.

I actually thought that Harry's reaction to Sirius' death was well done.

Everytime Sirius was brought up, Harry mentioned that he felt some sort of pain. But it wasn't somethig that was overly dramatic. At the start of the book Harry told Dumbledore that he had to move on and though he's sad over Sirius' death, he was making the conscious decision to keep living.

In OoTP Harry couldn't control his emotions--and that was the big lesson he learned through the book when Sirius died. That he needs to stop and think before he acts.

I guess I see Harry handling Sirius' death as most people handle it. He had the major melt down at the end of OoTP and he's started the healing process. I think most people handle death this way. They have the major melt down and then they never really forget the person, but they move on because they have to.

So I was please with the portrayal.

Kewii

I think I was talking about Dumbledore. I'm not reading through my post again! It's too long.

What I mean is that Dumbledore's death was one of the most significant and devastating events in the whole series. I wanted to feel sad about it for a while, but it was like the editors decided the kiddies would be too upset. So we got Dumbledore being dead one minute, and then minor characters discussing their love lives the next. I felt robbed of what should have been the most emotional moment in the series, and I don't think Dumbledore's character was done justice.

I agree....I felt all sad after finishing the book....maybe it will be an Obi-Wan Kanobi=Luke Skywalker connection of sorts type thing

Also, (sorry to double post) How many of you think that Snape is still good? I do! It doesn't make sense for Dumbledore to play it all cool with 4 DE around and then Snape shows up and he "begs"? I think that with the Unforgiveable Curse and the need to have someone, ANYONE there to help Harry when he has to face Voldemort, that Dumbledore felt Snape staying alive and in good graces with the Dark Lord was necessary.

If this has already been discussed, I am sorry, but this is kind of a long topic

Just thought I'd throw out another theory for RAB...

Ron, Arthur and Bill...

Maybe thats why they are blood traitors

You know, the end is really driving me crazy because I don't remember reading something about someone having RAB as it's initials
I have some crazy theories such as Sirius not being dead, or Snape not really killing Dumbeldore...
The last one is my favorit because it's the most likely to happen :Ponder:
But then what about his portrait in his former office?
:o_O:

Kewii said:
But the note sounds like it's from one person, not three.
[post="1451804"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

One of them could have written it and signed everyone's name.

SkyGirl5 said:
yeah... and i really think ron would have mentioned something
[post="1451812"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Maybe his memory was extracted... because you don't keep extracted memories (do you?) or maybe he was under the Imperius... you know for the greater good then practising Dark arts may be "acceptable"

ashqua said:
You know, the end is really driving me crazy because I don't remember reading something about someone having RAB as it's initials
I have some crazy theories such as Sirius not being dead, or Snape not really killing Dumbeldore...
The last one is my favorit because it's the most likely to happen :Ponder:
But then what about his portrait in his former office?
:o_O:
[post="1451816"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It has never been said that you have to be dead to be on the wall... you only have to be a former Headmaster...

ehgripo said:
Maybe his memory was extracted... because you don't keep extracted memories (do you?) or maybe he was under the Imperius... you know for the greater good then practising Dark arts may be "acceptable"
It has never been said that you have to be dead to be on the wall... you only have to be a former Headmaster...
[post="1451863"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
hmm i dont think you keep extracted memories b/c of the pensive... but not sure

and um, who'sin the white grave/memorial/casket whatever u wanna call it thingie

SkyGirl5 said:
hmm i dont think you keep extracted memories b/c of the pensive... but not sure

and um, who'sin the white grave/memorial/casket whatever u wanna call it thingie
[post="1451884"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Anybody... or nobody... could be one of the Order killed by the Death Eaters (were any... I've forgotten.) or just something that would make a sheet fall as though there were a body below it.

Back