Fantasy Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

can't see it this weekend or the next weekend. though i'm gonna see it the day after exams are over for me ^_^ gonna spend a whole friday at the mall and movies and playing DDR ^_^
--mandy :angelic:

I thought the movie was hilarious, mysterious, and way different than the other two. I think, if I'd read the book before seeing the movie, I would probably pick out some major scenes that they skipped. But this is such an amazing story, that not everything is going to be in it. Like, Lord of the Rings, they left MAJOR scenes out of it, but it wasn't something that bothered me. I noticed they skipped a scene in Azkaban, but I don't think it bothers me that much. I agree with MVhunny, the characters really did evolve and you can tell the movie was done differently. I also agree with Kaiserin too. I thought Sirius would be a lot different(Viggo Mortenson maybe?lol), but I just think- the movies made and done, you can't change it...so let it be.

I suggest to everyone to go see it and make your own opinion about the book...I still thought it was a great movie, but I don't think any movie beats the book version of the stories

oi, haven't been on here much lately and man have I missed it but I just had to come, I just saw the movie tonight! Twas absolutely perfect. Stunning. I loved it. There were and always will be little thing that having read the books so many times, I'll always be able to notice but I tried to overlook the little stuff. overall I was really happy with it! :D :D :D

alright, now where are my sistas and my SAS members?! have you seen it yet? I thought about yall while I was watching...especially the end where sirius is talking to Harry before he has to go....brought a tear to my eye..... :P

syd_spy47 said:
Ok, I saw it last night. Unfortunately, unlike I hoped, I was not blown away. While this is my favorite book, the movie was a bit dissapointing. There were too many discretions between the book and the movie, that I had such a hard time enjoying it because they were not minor ones, but major ones. I think I'll go see it again, knowing that they'll be flaws in the plotline, but try to enjoy for what it is. I wasn't happy with the casting of Lupin (he wasn't anything like I expected him to be), I'm still undetermined about Sirius as I was expecting someone very handsome as explained in the book, but I did love Emma Thompson as Professor Trewlaney. Maybe I expected too much and put it up to too high of standards, as it is my favorite book, but still....be prepared to see a lot of flaws if you've read the book and go see the movie. -_-
I agree with you too. I was extremely disappointed with this film. -_- It was barely like the book, all of the important scenes were changed in someway. To me, it didn't feel like I was watching Harry Potter at all. The other two films had that feeling of Harry Potter, I don't know really how to explain it, but this one didn't. The music really bothered me. I loved the music of the other ones, it went perfectly with the theme. The characters weren't even in their Hogwarts clothes half of the time in this one! The casting wasn't very good, except for Emma Thompson. Dumbledore just wasn't the same. Anyways, I was disappointed , but I hope the rest who haven't seen it yet will enjoy it, because I certainly didn't. :(

I saw it and I think it was all right. Quite a few changes from the book though. I mean, Harry gets his Firebolt at the end. What kind of felgercarb is that?

Ok i had some serious issues w/ the movie because of its blatent discrepencies from the novel which enfuriated me (and the two friends i went w/ - btw we are all HUGE harry potter freaks :D ) anyway lets start w/ the good:
ok the movie was funny as hell - snape in a dress (y) so good
I LOVED how they did the time turner at the end when everyone was moving around them that was awsome (btw did u see the guy get the full body bandage HAHA)
The whole Buckbeak part was good, very well done
But OMG there were so many horrible discrepencies from the book i dont even know where to begin:
the Firebolt!!!! at the end?!?! come on WTF was that??! its like they just needed a way to end the movie
Ok harry seeing Peter on the mauader's map UM no! never happened
then the Mauaders' map itself - they never explained who the 4 guys were and how it was harry's father.. etc. and that was so importnat!
um Dementors cant fly!
the end w/ sirius' letter to harry and Ron getting Pig, the owl, was cut and that was such a good part!
the whole explination that Sirius and Lupin give which is SOOOOOO important about the secret keeper and Snape being saved by James they cut it all out!!!!!!

Ok see i have such issues w/ this because this book was my absolute fav out of the whole series and they just completely destroyed it. I mean i guess if i was looking at it from the standpoint of never having read the books it was good but the comeplete changes and wrongness just kinda runins it for me. Not to mention this director guy is like crazy - was it necessary for the womping willow to murder innocent blue birds like every 2 seconds?!?!?!
and um did anyone else notice how hogwart's grounds were SOOOOOO messed up like hagrid's hut was SO far away and the castle was so diff from the first two movies... so weird.. Im just so very disappointed in the whole movie (n)

Kaiserin said:
Katelyn said:
while it may not be YOUR Sirius, it's not YOUR movie. You didnt direct it, if you had, im sure that it would be exactly what YOUR Sirius was, but no one else's. This is Alphonso's persepective of how he sees Sirius, so I dont think it's fair to complain about it. Same with Lupin.

Anyway, I'm seeing the movie tonight so I'm excited.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, but I don't think you should be so rude about it either. I didn't like the movie Sirius because I imagined him to be different. That happens to many people who saw it, so maybe you should wait to see it before you attack other peoples opinion. Besides I thought I was aloud to speak my mind, that's actually what this board is for. You are not expected to agree with everyone, but at least keep your mind open until you actually see the movie.
i didn't say it offended me, i said what i think, i'm sure if you had been alphonso the movie would of been exactly your way and you wouldn't of been complaining, but if your saying not to bite of people's heads for having an opinion, i suggest you dont be a complete hyprocrite and practice what you preach. obviously, i was only saying my opinion, and i saw the movie last night, so according to you i now have the RIGHT to say what i think about what you think? i don't agree with what you said, and i'm sorry if you think that ME, saying what I think is rude, but if you can be rude to me, for being "rude" then i suppose i can be rude right back.

anyway, as i said, i saw the movie last night and i thought it was very, very good. i thought gary oldman made a very good sirius black, except for i didnt really picture the gold teeth, and though lupin wasnt as i expected him exactly, i still think he was cast well and is a very talented actor.

if you'd like to bite off my head for saying that, go for it. 🍦

Skyligrl5- i know there are alot of discrepencies from the book, and that sort of bothered me too, but if you go into it, thinking of it as a movie and not as the book it's alot better. it's sad because they didnt really have the time to make it exact as the book was, and if you hadn't ever read the book, the stag coming out of his wand and it's relationship to his father doesnt make any sense, as well as the map's relationship to his father isn't factored in. all in all though, leaving out the parts that were left out, it was an amazing movie, and god daniel radcliffe looked hot!

Brittany said:
alright, now where are my sistas and my SAS members?! have you seen it yet? I thought about yall while I was watching...especially the end where sirius is talking to Harry before he has to go....brought a tear to my eye..... :P
I was almost crying too sis! It was so sweet and sad, it brought tears to my eyes too! :(

Cass! ur here. :D yea, knowing what happens in book 5 just made me all misty. :( :P but also as someone earlier said, the firebolt thing infuriated me a bit......I think they totally cut out everything contributing to all of the arguing and unsettled feeling between the trio that's in the book until that's all resolved..... I mean Harry's supposed to get angry at Hermione for worrying if the broom's jinxed and then they cut a lot of Ron and Hermione bickering and the famous punch! That was supposed to be at a quidditch match, was it not?! and the fact that Harry was wimpering when he ran off after finding out that Sirius betrayed his 'rents......and mione too....I think they should try not to get so emotional when they don't do it very well and it's not even in canon for them to do so.....

Emma Thompson was bloody brilliant though!!! I can't remember if I've said that or not but she was! :D I loved Divination. Those scenes always crack me up and they did it well in the movie. I still think with the movie, it feels more like a day or two days out of the school year is shown where when you read the books it feels more like you go through the whole year....

Katelyn said:
i didn't say it offended me, i said what i think, i'm sure if you had been alphonso the movie would of been exactly your way and you wouldn't of been complaining, but if your saying not to bite of people's heads for having an opinion, i suggest you dont be a complete hyprocrite and practice what you preach. obviously, i was only saying my opinion, and i saw the movie last night, so according to you i now have the RIGHT to say what i think about what you think? i don't agree with what you said, and i'm sorry if you think that ME, saying what I think is rude, but if you can be rude to me, for being "rude" then i suppose i can be rude right back.

anyway, as i said, i saw the movie last night and i thought it was very, very good. i thought gary oldman made a very good sirius black, except for i didnt really picture the gold teeth, and though lupin wasnt as i expected him exactly, i still think he was cast well and is a very talented actor.

if you'd like to bite off my head for saying that, go for it. 🍦
Oh, I didn't mean to bite your head off, I was just trying to make you understand we all have different opinions and we all have the right to voice them. Now, I'm very glad that you liked Sirius, but I didn't. That is part of life, people disagree, but that doesn't mean that you should to act like a child about it, there are ways of telling someone you think they are wrong without being rude.
On the other hand I do agree with you in the fact that the movie was very good inspite of some major holes in the plotline.

Brittany said:
Cass! ur here. :D yea, knowing what happens in book 5 just made me all misty. :( :P but also as someone earlier said, the firebolt thing infuriated me a bit......I think they totally cut out everything contributing to all of the arguing and unsettled feeling between the trio that's in the book until that's all resolved..... I mean Harry's supposed to get angry at Hermione for worrying if the broom's jinxed and then they cut a lot of Ron and Hermione bickering and the famous punch! That was supposed to be at a quidditch match, was it not?! and the fact that Harry was wimpering when he ran off after finding out that Sirius betrayed his 'rents......and mione too....I think they should try not to get so emotional when they don't do it very well and it's not even in canon for them to do so.....

Emma Thompson was bloody brilliant though!!! I can't remember if I've said that or not but she was! :D I loved Divination. Those scenes always crack me up and they did it well in the movie. I still think with the movie, it feels more like a day or two days out of the school year is shown where when you read the books it feels more like you go through the whole year....
I'm here Britt! Everything you said I agree with! The broom made me mad (what was with the ending?!? WTF?!?) And I was sad to see the Quidditch matches cut and such. But what made really angry was A.) Dementors can't fly & B.) They hardly explained anything about the Marauders Map and the importance to MMWP. That was critical and it was just shoved to the side. And it did seem they hardly took classes, since very little happened with those. And I wanted to see major bickering between Hermione and Ron since that was a major part of the book, and it just didn't happen. While I did like the movie somewhat, it's hard to not miss the things in canon that you were looking forward to.

Ok i can see why some people are disappointed but after seeing elves appear at Helms deep in the Two Towers i realised that movies from books are never gonna be the same. i must admit that they left out some vital stuff, the whole explanation of the map and the connection to hp's dad and the stag and as for the Firebolt at the end, what the actual f**k. i stick to my grounds on Sirius, thought he was good, but i loved Lupin and Trelawney more, even though lupin wasn't how i thought hw would look he was well characterised. the whole dementors flying, i ignored cos it was clearly a hollywood thing.

i still love this film after seeing it 3 times and will love it no matter what, cos the characters' evolution was well handled with the tiny flicker of fancy between Hermione, who i thought was brilliant, and Ron, although more arguements needed.

and Bufflias, how could you not love the music. it was fantastic, def best of the 3, especially the themes for buckbeak and the emotional past stuff with Lupin, ooh and the brass bursts during the patronus spell.absolutely beautifully written, with melodies that intricately weave around each other but yet all based on the choir song which is sneakily based on hedwigs theme. oh so clever. But that is a classical musicians stance ;)

The movie was good and all
but the ending...arghhhh.:wtf:
why did they end with him flying and like a zoom in into his face?!!?
where the hell was the wonderful letter that Sirius wrote?
I loved that letter, and they didn't have it in there

and I know...I kept thinking about book 5

I saw it 10:40pm last night --last showing and freakin' full! I thought it was great, prob one of the better movies of the summer. I have never read the books so I know nothing about the plot holes, so to me the movie was (y) (y)

alias_luver said:
The movie was pretty good. I liked it better than the second one. But they changed the story too much.
yah and i think one of the reasons i loved it so much is that i wasnt focusing on the missing stuff. i hadnt read the book in a while, so i knew stuff had been left out but i didnt really care!!! it was SO GOOD.