Fantasy Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

Jaimie!!! I love the HP quote you have in your sig!! That part was HILARIOUS!! :rotflmao:

Anyways, I hadn't read the book in a loooooooong while so to me, the movie was grrrrrrrreat!! :smiley:

the movie was bad it was better than 1 & 2 but i think 3 shall be the best and ill hate 5 b/c of wat happens. im looking more forward 2 4 since its my fave book out of the 5, but the thing that bugged me was the missing things i think there were 4 or 5. and i really really really really didnt like the new Dumbledore. they had a great cast besides him and i think that lots of the lines were funny like Prof. as w.w. gets hit in the head, "Poor Professor Lupin is really having a tough nite." -Harry, that waz jus hilarious.

it sux that he died, but they should have castd the Father/King from "Troy" Peter O' Toole would make the perfect Dumbledore though i dont think ne1 can really replace the first Dumbledore. i hpe the do something about the guy who plays Dumbledore or something because his hair is gray unlike the original Dumbledore and the new Dumbledore has a low and fast paced vioce unlike the... slow... yet... cool... Dumbledore.

yeah i didn't really like the new Dumbledore either. Boo Hiss Michael Gambon. I don't care if he's a well respected British actor. I'm British and I think that he sucked. :angry:

I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. I felt that the director was much more imaginative than Mr Columbus, and I, personally, don't mind that the film didn't slavishly follow the book as the first two did. (If I were to object to departure from the book, I would point to the second film, in which the ending radically departed from the spirit and feel of the book, taking on a strong action/adventure/heroic tone and transforming the phoenix, particularly its song.) There's little they could do but somehow replace Dumbledore, and no matter whom they chose, they would be criticized--I feel for Mr Gambon, who has been given a thankless task. Sure, I miss Mr Harris, too, but I thank Mr Gambon for stepping into such a difficult situation; it can't be easy--it's like taking on Irina Derevko; there's no upside to it. Others complained about the casting of Serius, and I have to admit that when I first heard that Gary Oldman had been cast I first thought of the role of Lupin. But I don't let my idea of "perfect casting" stand in the way of my enjoyment of a film!!! At least he has the chops. There have been plenty of times when a role hasn't been cast ideally according to my lights, but if I let it bother me, I'd prevent myself from having a good time unnecessarily. Heaven knows that Dracula is almost never cast properly. It's not like The Running Man, where the film didn't even resemble an extremely good action story (and talk about bad casting for the story in the book!)--not that they're likely to come back and film it right in this post-911 world.

I thought the effects were nicely done (although Lupin's werewolf seemed a bit odd), and Buckbeak especially came out as a real character. Even the Whomping Willow had personality and provided context as we watched it through the seasons, dropping its leaves and shrugging off snow. Plus, these might be the strongest performances yet from our young actors. I can understand missing the quiddich, though.
;)

ya Ian Mckellen would have been good since hes a really strong actor. i luv him in all the movies hes been in. but the Whomping Willow was a lot smaller than it had been in the 2nd movie. tho the movie was missing lots of parts, one part that really bothered me-they didn't mention that Lupin, Peter, Sirius, and James were Moony, Padfoot, Prongs, and Wormtail. that was a big part that they left out. How would Lupin have known about the map, along with Sirious??? i still think Peter o' Toole would have made a great Dumbledore, he even looks like Mr. Harris. the casting otherwise i thought was great. it didn't bother me that Gary Olman was Sirius at all. the only thing i didn't like was the werewolf, it was all skinny and it looked like it wasn't very vicious.

Joyie said:
Jaimie!!! I love the HP quote you have in your sig!! That part was HILARIOUS!! :rotflmao:

Anyways, I hadn't read the book in a loooooooong while so to me, the movie was grrrrrrrreat!! :smiley:
me too, it's hilarious, i :love: ron

verdantheart said:
I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. I felt that the director was much more imaginative than Mr Columbus, and I, personally, don't mind that the film didn't slavishly follow the book as the first two did. (If I were to object to departure from the book, I would point to the second film, in which the ending radically departed from the spirit and feel of the book, taking on a strong action/adventure/heroic tone and transforming the phoenix, particularly its song.) There's little they could do but somehow replace Dumbledore, and no matter whom they chose, they would be criticized--I feel for Mr Gambon, who has been given a thankless task. Sure, I miss Mr Harris, too, but I thank Mr Gambon for stepping into such a difficult situation; it can't be easy--it's like taking on Irina Derevko; there's no upside to it. Others complained about the casting of Serius, and I have to admit that when I first heard that Gary Oldman had been cast I first thought of the role of Lupin. But I don't let my idea of "perfect casting" stand in the way of my enjoyment of a film!!! At least he has the chops. There have been plenty of times when a role hasn't been cast ideally according to my lights, but if I let it bother me, I'd prevent myself from having a good time unnecessarily. Heaven knows that Dracula is almost never cast properly. It's not like The Running Man, where the film didn't even resemble an extremely good action story (and talk about bad casting for the story in the book!)--not that they're likely to come back and film it right in this post-911 world.

I thought the effects were nicely done (although Lupin's werewolf seemed a bit odd), and Buckbeak especially came out as a real character. Even the Whomping Willow had personality and provided context as we watched it through the seasons, dropping its leaves and shrugging off snow. Plus, these might be the strongest performances yet from our young actors. I can understand missing the quiddich, though.
;)
gary oldman kinda reminded me of johnny depp

I liked the old Dumbldore better too. I hate how in the end of the movie HP flies toward the screen and we get a REALLY close close-up of his face :hmm: That kept me awake last night. So creepy...

svfan4ever said:
I liked the old Dumbldore better too. I hate how in the end of the movie HP flies toward the screen and we get a REALLY close close-up of his face :hmm: That kept me awake last night. So creepy...
yah the original dumbledore was good...but since the actor died, they kid had no choice but to pick a new one. it was really sad though, he was really good.

yah the one thing i missed in the movie from the book was the moony, wormtail etc. connection which they didnt really mention. but other than that i absolutely LOVED it.

as for the Marauder's map, a couple of ppl said it and I agree-they didn't explain that at all! Anyone who hasn't read the books prob isn't going to know who the hell Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs are and even if they do figure that one out, they've completely cut out their significance to the map, to Remus and the story overall. Ask someone that hasn't read the books and saw the movie if they know why they became animagus.

I don't really read Harry Potter, but I liked the movie, I think I might start reading the books soon though. Do you think they'll make 2 movies for the fourth book? If they don't, just think of how much they would skip...

OasisSparrow said:
gary oldman kinda reminded me of johnny depp
:rotflmao: Hehe, oddly enough I thought that same thought too. At one point, I think he was swaying a bit, and I was like "Jack Sparrow!" (Maybe I've been watchin too much PotC, but seriously, it was a bit close to being the same). And did anyone feel the urge to yell "I'm the king of the world!" when Harry was flying on buckbeak over the water and his arms were out to the side and he kind of yelled? ^_^

okay, i did NOT like the fact that they did not put the Housing Cup and the Quidditch Cup awarding in there. That was annoying. It's like tradition to put it in there. The movie was only 2 hours and 24 minutes, the others were closer to 2 hours and 45 minutes. They had enough time to add it.

and cass, about the "I'm king of the world thing" i wanted to too

I think it's cause the director wanted to set himself apart from the first two movies. :hmm:

I really have to go and reread book 3 now! :lol: I just got all the books from my cousin but I'm reading 5 right now... totally out of sequence. :lol: