Sci-Fi Has a name been given to the Disney Star Wars trilogy & movies?

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
In the Doctor Who verse we have "Classic Who" and now "New Who", Battlestar Galactica has "re-imagined BSG", and Star Trek differentiates the movie reboot by using the timeline names, "Prime" for classic Star Trek and the TV shows versus "Kelvin" for the shiny movie reboots.

Star Wars has the "original trilogy", the "prequels trilogy", and now Disney has their new movies which, really, are a soft reboot thanks to the New Order replacing the Empire replete with new tech and new characters.

Has a fan name been given yet to the DIsney era trilogy and movies? Just going to call them the "sequels trilogy"?

Good question...

I nominate "Ducas" or "Ginny"
Ducas = Disney's Lucas
Ginny = George's Disney

You have the
Prequel Trilogy Star Wars
Original Trilogy Star Wars
Ducas Trilogy Star Wars

LOL

With the 2012 acquisition of Lucasfilm by The Walt Disney Company, most of the licensed Star Wars novels and comics produced since the originating 1977 film Star Wars were rebranded as Star Wars Legends and declared non-canon to the franchise in April 2014

The Thrawn trilogy, also known as the Heir to the Empire trilogy, is a series of best-selling science fiction novels written by Timothy Zahn. They are set in the Star Wars expanded universe approximately five years after the events depicted in the 1983 Star Wars film Return of the Jedi. The series introduced several notable characters, including Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, and Grand Admiral Thrawn, one of the more notable villains in the expanded universe. The Thrawn trilogy was followed by The Hand of Thrawn, a two-book series (1997 and 1998) also authored by Zahn.

Disney has Star Wars movies coming out every year from now until 2020, including the remaining two episodes in the third trilogy and three anthology films.
The company is also developing Star Wars anthology stories that are supposed to bridge the gaps between regular movies.
SOURCE: Is Disney working on a fourth ‘Star Wars’ trilogy?

Saga:
  • Original trilogy: IV – A New Hope (1977) V – The Empire Strikes Back (1980) VI – Return of the Jedi (1983)
  • Prequel trilogy: I – The Phantom Menace (1999) II – Attack of the Clones (2002) III – Revenge of the Sith (2005)
  • Sequel trilogy: VII – The Force Awakens (2015) VIII – The Last Jedi (2017) Episode IX (2019)
Technically, there are FOUR film trilogies
Rogue One is part of the Anthology Trilogy

• Rogue One: A Star Wars StoryDecember 16, 2016[1]
  • Untitled Han Solo filmMay 25, 2018[3]
  • Untitled Star Wars film2020[6]

Episodic films
    I: The Phantom Menace · II: Attack of the Clones · III: Revenge of the Sith
    IV: A New Hope · V: The Empire Strikes Back · VI: Return of the Jedi
    VII: The Force Awakens · VIII: The Last Jedi · IX: Untitled
    Spin-off films
    Canon:
    The Clone Wars · Rogue One · Han Solo film · Untitled film
    Legends:
    Holiday Special · Caravan of Courage · The Battle for Endor
    Television series
    Canon:
    The Clone Wars · Rebels · Forces of Destiny
    Legends:
    Droids · Ewoks · Clone Wars
    Other:
    Underworld

In 1980, at the time of the release of The Empire Strikes Back, Lucas said there were seven further Star Wars films he wanted to make.

Lucas said:
So, I took the screenplay and divided it into three stories, and rewrote the first one. As I was writing, I came up with some ideas for a film about robots, with no humans in it. When I got to working on the Wookiee, I thought of a film just about Wookiees, nothing else. So, for a time, I had a couple of odd movies with just those characters. Then, I had the other two films, which were essentially split into three parts each, two trilogies. When the smoke cleared, I said, 'This is really great. I'll do another trilogy that takes place after this.' I had three trilogies of nine films, and then another couple of odd films. Essentially, there were twelve films.
Lucas also said:
It's a nine-part saga that has a beginning, a middle and an end. It progresses over a period of about fifty or sixty years with about twenty years between trilogies, each trilogy taking about six or seven years.

Back