Has the s4 response been muted?

Im the UK and i want to know how well the fourth season of Alias was recieved. I mean - i know it did well in the ratings, and i have had a few emails from first time viewers saying its wow. BUT what is the general response do you guys think

Is it better than season 3? Worse? How does it compare? It just seems to me that some people are annoyed that Alias is trying to re-invent itself to attract new viewers.

But to that id say, thank your lucky stars Alias is even still around, with an 8.2 million average last season - we are very lucky :smiley:

But please, in your responses, keep the spoilers away because i dont see it till April

It would be difficult to compared two episodes of Season 4 to a whole season of any of the previous 3. Even though I haven't watched it yet, I would say it would be difficult to make an accurate judgement.
With the changes that I've read about, I'm guessing the new episodes might have shocked some people. But with most people saying that Season 3 was a huge let down, anything would be better than it to some.

I would just say that the show has a different "feel" to it. Not that it is a bad thing, but some loyal Alias fans may not have wanted everything to look and "feel" so different. Personally I was a little let down with the premire at first, but I think that was due to having such high expectations after such a long wait not to mention the huge amount of promotion for the show.

Even though things feel different at the begiunning of this new season I think there are some great possibilities that have been opened up for the show and I'm excited to see how the upcoming episodes shape the new direction of the show. After all, Alias is always re-inventing itself in one way or another and this may just be part of the trend to keep things fresh for the fans of the show.

I hope I didn't give to much away too much about the first two episodes, I tried to be as vague as I could.

In many ways the 2 hour S4 premiere was a step in the right direction, back on the path that made S1 and 2 such cult classics. But in other ways, the episode also missteps and really misses the point of what made S1 and 2 work.

One thing that did work well is the reintroduction of the lighter side of things. Sydney is going to have a real life again in S4, and that started right away with these 2 hours. They used lighter colors, and more up beat music, and there is definitely more of a balance. Marshall, as we all love, provided a lot of well place comedic moments.

It is difficult to say what didn't go right without spoiling too mucy. But let me just say that though it is defnitely a good idea to return to the glory days of S1 and 2, JJ was perhaps a little too eager in his execution, and that in doing so might have trivialized some of the story arcs that have developed over the last 3 years, at least from what we can tell from just these 2 hours. Of course having said that, this is only 10% of the overall season, hardly enough to judge the overall direction of anything. So most of us are reamining cautiously optimistic despite some troubling early indications.

Xin Li

For me, it's too early to say. The first episode had to do a bit of housekeeping in clearing up loose ends from the previous season--actually previous seasons, because of the loose end of explaining Irina's absence. Further, it needed to set up the format for the current season. That's a lot of expository work for one episode to take care of. Further, critics (who probably have more than this episode to go on) have hyped the season. BTW, the same is true of 24, and I felt slightly underwhelmed by both. Part of the problem was that season 3 was uneven, so the transition took on some of that unevenness.

That isn't to say that I wasn't pleased by the the season debut of Alias! I was greatly pleased by the humor in the episode--and by the insider references (last year sucked; at last!). Marshall, in particular, provided a bright spot. I like that they're putting Dixon back in the field, but I'd like to see him do something there (we only really saw him put the sword up for sale this episode)--perhaps I'm a little too anxious, but I'm worried that this will only be lip service and they'll continue to cut him back to provide action for Vaughn-Vaughn-Vaughn. But this is like a lot of the stuff in the episode--it has just been set up and we need to see how it develops. The action was good, & I really liked the final action scene--nicely done. I see why they had Sydney & Vaughn jump back into bed together right away--so many fans waited all year for that. Mr Abrams said he wanted S/V to be a couple we can "root for"--it's gonna take a lot more than this for me . . .

So I guess you'd say that it was a little mixed, but I'm extremely hopeful. I like the pedigree of the new writers. ;)

1. Yes Bravo - apparently they arent screening it till April.

2. Im thinking that Season 1 and 2 were so much fun, especially season 1. It was cool, clean cut, and had lots of cool story facets without being complicated. I think season 3 really REALLY made a mess of the shows great formula - becoming way to dark, dramatic and serious. but it was still the best thing on tv for that year. However, i think im going to enjoy season 4 ALOT i was let down by season 3s beginning and end, and i think that getting back to what made it so good is great stuff

Plus new viewers LOVED it.

One more day till Wednesday..can you believe it? another episode..Iv'e been deprived for so long. And I Don't know how many more times I can watch APO.

Back