Haunting Memories

Read the story I wrote for a challenge and then get started on the sequel!

The Safety of His Arms

Title: Haunting Memories
Rating: somewhere from PG-13 to R
Summary: Sydney knows that there was something missing from the explanation she got of her two years with the Covenant as Julia Thorne. She didn’t think she cared to know what that was. At least, until the memories started coming back to haunt her.
Disclaimer: Don’t own any of it! And that’s my disclaimer!
Timeline: Post-Season 3. All the events of the show happened exactly as we saw them.

Sydney cursed her luck as she ran up her twentieth flight of stairs. Running to the top of this building in Pamplona, Spain and chasing after the one man she would have paid money to never see again was not what she wanted to be doing. What she wanted to be doing was snuggling up to Vaughn on his couch, watching the latest Kings game, like old times.

It had been approximately one week since she and Vaughn had shared that kiss in Palermo. One week since the death of Lauren Reed. And one week since she realized that her whole life was a sham.

The day she found the papers explaining that her father had known that all the tragedy, all the pain she had felt, all the suffering, had to happen to her was still fresh in her mind. He had tried to explain that it was for her benefit that he let her go through all that, but she didn’t want to listen then. She still didn’t want to listen now.

That didn’t stop Jack from pleading with her to hear what he was saying the whole plane ride back to Los Angeles. The words he said did not come close to sinking in until later that night when she was home and had time to process it. From that point to the present time, they rang through her head, never lightening up. She was always trying to comprehend what her father had done to her.

He let Danny die, knowing that the pain she got from that tragedy would make her become a double agent and affiliate herself with the real CIA. The pain would make her strong and put her beyond the reach of grief.

He knew that her mother was a KGB spy sent there to trick him into giving away national secrets. The whole time he was dating her, he knew. He let Irina Derevko use him. He let her carry his child so that Sydney would be born for him to shape into what he needed, into what he thought the world needed.

He knew that one of Sydney’s best friends would betray her one day. It explained why he had been hesitant to trust or even acknowledge the existence of Will Tippin. In retrospect, Jack realized that Tippin wasn’t the threat to Sydney. It had been Francine Calfo. He had realized it too late to change the course of events, even if it had been possible for him to do so.

Her father knew she was abducted by the Covenant and held their prisoner for two years until she chose to escape. He knew that she was alive, and he did nothing to stop it. When she finally asked him why, the answer was simple. To rid her of her attachments to people that weren’t supposed to be closed to her.

Namely, Vaughn. Jack wanted to give Vaughn a chance to realize that Sydney was gone forever and move on. He played as if he was searching for Sydney and coming up empty so that Vaughn would accept the fact that she was dead. He went as far as allowing the US government to imprison him in his attempts to control Sydney’s fate. Jack would never have allowed Vaughn to move on from Sydney to a spy for the Covenant. He assured Sydney if he hadn’t been in prison he would not have let that happen.

When Sydney finally got up the courage to ask him why he had been messing with her life since the day she was born, he said it had to do with Rambaldi. Everything in her life seemed to revert back to Rambaldi. Milo Rambaldi knew that one day there would arise two sisters from the same mother. Both sisters would be powerful in their own right, but they were destined to be on opposite sides of the fight. One would come forth of two pure, good parents, and the other would be made in secret by the darkest of parents.

Jack hadn’t understood the prophecy until he met his soon-to-be wife. He recognized her potential, the goodness and the evil inside of her. It was at that moment that he realized he would have a child with this woman. And that child would be marked for the fight of her life. He couldn’t change that.

He knew that Sydney would grow up and have to face her half-sister in a fight to the death. He spent his whole life making sure that she grew to be as tough and strong as she would need to be to win. He let the pain and suffering that was foretold for her happen. He made sure she didn’t make attachments that would hurt her.

In short, he played puppeteer to her life.

Sydney wasn’t sure she could ever forgive him.

The one happy point to all this was realizing that not even her father was powerful enough to keep her and Vaughn apart. Since the moment that he shot his wife dead to save Sydney’s life, she and Vaughn hadn’t been apart. He had apologized a million and a half times for letting them get so far off track, for losing hope in their love.

She hadn’t wasted a moment in punishing him. The forgiveness was there for him instantly.

And now she was stuck doing the only thing she seemed to be good at. Well, besides losing the men she loved.

Her greatest talent was hunting down Sark and bringing him back into CIA custody.

The slimy bastard had escaped from the CIA once more. If her greatest skill was the ability to track him down, his greatest skill was to get away from whomever tried to imprison him. This time, no one was really sure how he had gotten out. There were no signs of an infiltration and no signs of his tampering with the security. He had just disappeared like always.

And she was tired of it. This time, even though her assignment was to capture him and bring him back to the States, she intended to kill him and put an end to their nonstop struggle. She knew that if anyone else knew her plan, they would say that murder is not something she should be doing. Murder can change a person, they would say.

Sydney knew that and she didn’t care. She had gotten into enough trouble at the hands of Julian Lazarey. She was damn worn-out by it.

So she had done her job and tracked him to this building in Spain. It appeared to be one of his many hideouts. He kept a charming little penthouse on the top floor, which appeared to be where he was running off to at the moment.

It all started in the lobby. By accident, she had physically run into him. She had been scanning the building for any signs that he was there at the time. He was leaving the building to go meet a business contact for lunch. For some reason, neither one noticed the other until it was too late to try to be stealthy and spy-like. They had both stared in horror at the other as they lay on the lobby floor, knocked down completely from their sudden contact.

“Sydney,” Sark said, almost as if he had been expecting her to show up the whole time.

“I’d run if I was you,” she warned him.

“I’m not scared,” he said, delivering the first smirk of their witty banter. Both he and she knew that this little repartee was a staple in their confrontations. Both wanted to seem like the party in control, and both wanted the other one to know they didn’t stand a chance in hell of beating them.

“Your little girlfriend is dead, Sark. Did you know that?” She hoped that mention of Lauren would throw him off enough for her to be able to make a move.

He didn’t flinch. “No, I didn’t. But it explains why she hasn’t been in contact with me since I escaped.”

“Death will break the lines of communication. It‘s a proven fact.” She had expected him to be fazed at least a little by the news. This coolness was unsettling her. “Don’t you care?”

“I never really cared about Lauren Reed that much. She was a way to poke some silent fun at your little boy toy. While he was at home, trying to not think of you, trying to be faithful to his wife, I was causing her to commit adultery. It had a nice poetic ring to it. Plus, I knew if you ever found out, it would drive you mad. I take so much pleasure in driving you mad, Agent Bristow.”

Sydney picked herself up off the floor at the exact same second that Sark did. They both slowly circled each other, expecting their opponent to make the first move.

Sark’s watch caught the rays of Spanish sunlight and temporarily blinded Sydney. He took the small window of opportunity that flash opened and ran towards the stairwell.

And twenty flights later, here she was, chasing after Sark for what she hoped would be the last time.

She guessed he was only a flight or two above her and fired off a few more gunshots. When there was no sound except the continued footsteps up the stairs, she cursed. This wasn’t her lucky day. She heard a door open above her and took the stairs two at a time to catch up.

Her body skidded to a halt when she realized that the stairwell had ended. Sark had chosen not to retreat to the home turf of his penthouse. Instead, he had let himself out onto the roof of the building. Where he planned to go from there was anyone’s guess.

Slowly, she took out the half-used clip from her gun and popped in a full one. There wouldn’t be time to reload once this skirmish began. She stepped hesitantly out onto the roof and scanned the area. There was no movement and no sound. The roof was flat with no places to hide. Wherever he had gone, Sark was no longer up there on the roof.

“Great,” she muttered. She lowered her gun realizing that he had managed to give her the slip. “How the hell did he do that?”

The sound of a gun’s safety being released made her jump and immediately point her own gun in the direction of the sound.

“Do what?” Sark asked as he stepped out from behind where the door to the roof had swung open.

“Nothing.” She glared at him. And then without warning, she took a swing at his head and narrowly missed.

He used the momentum of her blow to twist her around and wrap her arm around her neck, where he held it securely. “Are we destined to do this dance forever?”

“Yes,” she growled head bunting him hard. “I guess the burden of kicking your ass is something I’m going to have carry for a long time. But someone has to do it.” She punched him hard in the face before he could recover. “And I have to admit, I enjoy it a lot.”

Instead of retaliating, Sark threw himself to where her gun had fallen. He didn’t make it in time. Instead of feeling the gun in his hand, he felt her boot come down on his wrist roughly. She leaned in, foot still on his arm, and picked up her gun.

Knowing it was a rather barbaric move, but probably his only option, he bit her leg.

She screamed in pain and backed off. “What are you? Six?” she yelled.

He stood up and pointed his gun at her. She hadn’t lost a beat and was also pointing her weapon at his chest.

“What do we do now, Sydney? You can’t shoot me. The government you’ve sworn your life away to wants me alive and in their custody.” He smirked at her. “I know what you’re thinking. I could shoot you in an instant. Well, I’m going to tell you right now. I don’t really feel like killing. Plus, I don’t want to give you any reason to think you’ll get an opportunity to shoot me dead.”

“There’s one thing you don’t understand,” she said, smiling wickedly.

Sark was thrown off for a moment. He had never seen her look like that. Something had changed with her since he had last seen her. She was acting like she had nothing to live for. “I think I understand you pretty well,” he answered, covering his confusion to the best of his ability.

“You were right about me not being able to shoot you if I want to succeed in my mission. But the thing is I didn’t come to Spain in order to succeed. I plan on failing my mission horribly.” She smiled at him wickedly again. “You see, I intend to kill you.”

Sark smiled right back at her. “I think I finally understand why we’re always fighting, Agent Bristow.”

“Why is that?” She didn’t lower her gun for a second even though his tone had switched from taunting to something more friendly. Realizing she might be standing for a while, she did switch the majority of her weight over to the leg he hadn’t bitten.

“I don’t fit into your life. The life you want for yourself. You just can’t justify how I fit in. Am I your enemy? Not really. I’ve never done anything to purposefully hurt you.”

“You’ve shot at me more times than I can count.”

“You’ve shot at me, too.” He went back to his explanation. “I’m not your friend, either. I’ve offered to be your partner and friend before. You refused. And friends don’t usually shoot at each other. Though, come to think of it, the friends you have might.”

She fired a quick shot over his right shoulder, dangerously close to his ear.

“Now why didn’t you just shoot me in the heart, Sydney? Why are you hesitating?”

“Because this whole cold-hearted killing thing is new to me.”

“Right,” he said hesitantly. “And your time as Julia Thorne taught you nothing about that.”

“How would you know anything about my time as Julia Thorne?”

“People talk. You forget that I worked with Simon Walker for a while. He told me that you’re a tiger in bed.”

She rolled her eyes. “I don’t understand. Do you want me to shoot you?”

He shrugged. “But you understand what I’m saying. I am who I am. And right now, that doesn’t fit into your life. Maybe someday down the road it will. I’ll be waiting for then.”

His words chilled Sydney to the bone, and she couldn’t understand why. It was like she had heard them before, a long time ago. Her head pounded slightly and her vision blurred. She could hear a distant noise but couldn’t get her head to turn. She was frozen in place as random images popped into her head.

Her holding a knife to Sark’s throat, taunting him.

Her throwing a shot glass in his direction and it shattering as it hit the wall.

Simon Walker staring down at her, naked in bed. And there was someone beside her.

Her pointing a gun at Allison Doren with Sark by her side.

Sark carrying her in his arms away from a car wreck.

And the most disturbing of all, her lying in Sark’s arms feeling perfectly content with where she was.

Shaking her head, she looked back up at the man she had been trying to shoot. She raised her gun back up at him. “What did you do to me?”

“Nothing,” he practically stammered. She could tell that he was being truthful. He seemed thrown off by her reaction.

If Sydney had had all her wits about her, she would have realized that it wasn’t her reaction that was throwing him off. The words he had said to her had also made him pale. Something had happened to him, too. The same images she had seen were running through his head.

She stepped toward him and poked the barrel of her gun roughly to his throat. “You did something to me, and I want to know what it was.”

He continued to hold his hands out, pointing his gun away from where she stood. After a moment, he found a strong enough voice to respond. “I have no idea what just happened to you, Sydney. We were doing our usual I’m-going-to-kill-you routine and then you just got paled and seemed to drift off.”

“You did something to my head.” She stepped back and shook her head again. The gun went back into her holster. Both she and Sark knew that their battle was taking a time out. They didn’t fight when they were both not up for it. It was a strange, unspoken rule between them.

Sark also holstered his weapon. “I did nothing to you.”

“Images flashed through my head,” she hissed at him. “Memories of things that didn’t happen.”

“What... kind of memories?” he asked hesitantly. It intrigued him that the same thing seemed to happen to the both of them. Though how those images could be memories was beyond him.

“Like I’m going to tell you!”

“They were about me, weren’t they?” he said with a smirk.

“No,” she said a little too quickly.

“So what were they like? Were you ravaging me in bed?” He was joking with her, but the smirk was wiped off his face when he saw her cheeks redden. “You were fantasizing about me in bed, Bristow? Priceless!”

“We weren’t having sex,” she screamed, her patience finally hitting its end at the idea of Sark knowing that the images she had seen definitely implied that they were intimate. “You were holding me. And fighting Allison Doren with me. Most of it seemed typical. Except for the holding part. That was not typical.” She knew she was rambling, but she couldn’t stop herself. “I mean, I was trying to slit your throat. That’s normal interaction between us. And I was throwing things at your head. That sounds like something I’d do. The rest of it must have just been bulls***.”

“Have you convinced yourself that already?” Sark goaded her. She drew her gun out of her holster just as he raised his again. “We’re back to this place, huh?”

“It seems like this is where we always end up.”

“Well, it’s been fun. You might as well kill me now.” He paused for dramatic purposes. “But then you’ll never get a full explanation of what just happened to you.”

“I knew you were behind it, you stupid--” Her insults were cut off as Sark pushed her up against the wall near the door to the stairwell.

She was caught off guard as he crushed his lips to hers in a searing kiss. There was no way to explain her reaction. Instead of shooting him in the chest, which was where her gun was conveniently placed, she felt her grip loosen and her gun slid to the concrete. Her empty hands then slid up Sark’s body until she felt them pulling him closer. She could feel him groan in pleasure.

After a minute, Sark pulled back and broke contact. He leaned in close to her ear and whispered, “You weren’t the only one remembering things that don’t make sense, Sydney. I remember all those things, too.”

Before she could react, he was out the door and running down the stairwell.

She made no move to follow him, instead choosing to slide down the wall and to the ground. Her mind was racing with the events of the past few minutes. Whatever had flashed through her head earlier, it had felt as real as anything she had ever encountered. It felt like real memories.

She shook her head. They couldn’t be real memories. Kendall had told her the whole of what had occurred during her missing two years. That was the only length of time during her whole life that she wasn’t sure of. If these images were real, they would have happened then.

And that was just ridiculous. Sark had been in the CIA custody during the whole two years she was gone. There was no way he could have been by her side at any point. No way.

But that didn’t explain why he claimed that he had the same images in his mind.

She couldn’t understand it. She couldn’t explain it. All she knew was that she wanted to get home to the familiarity she yearned for. The life that she was so sure she wanted ten minutes ago. The life that suddenly seemed a little hollow, and she didn’t know why.

Ok i have way too much time on my hands. :lol: Yay!!! You wrote a Sequel to the Safety of his Arms!!! ^_^ Yippee!! Wow! Just wow! I cant wait until the next chappie! I wonder what happens next? Hope youre planning to continue writing this story! :smiley: Can I get a PM if you are planning to continue? :blush:

First of all, I love what you did with the Jack plot! In fact, that is a good idea for the show itself... I wouldn't mind if that happened. It wouldn't be TOO drastic, and it wouldn't be too "whatever." :smiley: Great idea!!!

For some reason, neither one noticed the other until it was too late to try to be stealthy and spy-like.

LOL! :lol: Love that line.

I take so much pleasure in driving you mad, Agent Bristow.”

Ditto. ^_^

Knowing it was a rather barbaric move, but probably his only option, he bit her leg.

She screamed in pain and backed off. “What are you? Six?” she yelled.

LMAO!!! :laughbounce: Ohh Sarky. Ohh Syd. :rolleyes: Perfect for each other.

I plan on failing my mission horribly.” She smiled at him wickedly again. “You see, I intend to kill you.”

This is me laughing and yelling 'NO!' at the same time. :thinking: :lol:

And friends don’t usually shoot at each other. Though, come to think of it, the friends you have might.”

Sark to a T! :lol: Lurrrve it. :love:

I am who I am. And right now, that doesn’t fit into your life. Maybe someday down the road it will. I’ll be waiting for then.”

Ohhh. Baiting her. ;) AND repeating a line. *sigh* Sark. And he doesn't know! Gah! :P

She was caught off guard as he crushed his lips to hers in a searing kiss. There was no way to explain her reaction. Instead of shooting him in the chest, which was where her gun was conveniently placed, she felt her grip loosen and her gun slid to the concrete. Her empty hands then slid up Sark’s body until she felt them pulling him closer. She could feel him groan in pleasure.

After a minute, Sark pulled back and broke contact. He leaned in close to her ear and whispered, “You weren’t the only one remembering things that don’t make sense, Sydney. I remember all those things, too.”

Before she could react, he was out the door and running down the stairwell.

:woot:

She couldn’t understand it. She couldn’t explain it. All she knew was that she wanted to get home to the familiarity she yearned for. The life that she was so sure she wanted ten minutes ago. The life that suddenly seemed a little hollow, and she didn’t know why.

Hollow without Sark. :(

And you BETTER be continuing this, you! ^_^ :lol:

Les

I read the first one and I am so glad you wrote a sequal.
Please add me to the PM list, can't wait for more.

~Rach~

It's a short one! Sorry!

Chapter Two

The second her plane landed at the military base in Los Angeles, Sydney demanded to see Dixon. She was irate at what had happened between her and Sark. Dixon had lied to her when he said he hadn’t known she was alive for those two years she spent with the Covenant. He and Kendall could have lied to her about what exactly went on doing those two years. If anyone had some explaining to do, it was him.

People jumped out of her way as she rounded the corners of the hallway leading to Dixon’s office. She didn’t even look anyone in the face on her way there. She was on a mission that wouldn’t be delayed for anyone.

When she found herself face-to-face with the door to his office, she felt her resolve begin to face. This was one of the men to which she had entrusted her life time and again. Would he really hide something so big from her when he knew how desperate she was to remember and how much it killed her to have to be told what had happened?

She raised her hand to knock but stopped it at the last second. She couldn’t do it. Dixon had been too good a friend to her throughout the years. They had been through too much together.

With a sigh of defeat, she turned around and headed back in the direction of her desk. There was paperwork to be done like always.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Two hours later, she wasn’t any further than when she started. Every time she started to write up a first hand account of her run-in with Sark, she found herself writing down small fibs and half-truths. It was a mystery to her why she didn’t seem to want to admit the exact events that had occurred.

In the back of her head, she knew it was because she was scared.

Scared that if she wrote them down, it would cement them as truth. She wouldn’t be able to talk her way out of this situation if anyone found out. What had gone on between her and Sark made no sense in her head. There was no possible way that they could both be reliving the same memories.

She still agreed with her original deduction. If these memories were true, they occurred during her missing two years. The only problem with that theory was Sark had spent the whole two years she was missing locked up in a CIA prison cell. There was no way that the events still flashing through her head continually could have occurred.

Again, she found herself realizing that the only person who would know the truth was Dixon. Kendall hadn’t been available since the day he had met her on that plane to relive her missing time. The government wasn’t too happy with the end results of Kendall’s explanation, aka Sydney‘s discovery of the project that had been her life.

Once again, she walked to the closed door of Dixon’s office. This time she managed to knock before changing her mind. Twenty seconds later, she found herself sitting in a chair staring at her friend, unable to form the words that needed to be said.

“Is there something you needed, Sydney? Something you wanted to talk about?”

“My missing two years,” she said softly.

“I’d be happy to retell you everything I know, but I don’t think it will help whatever’s bothering you. I mean, all the information that Kendall and I were privy to you already know.”

“I’ve been recalling certain memories.”

“So you’re finally remembering for yourself?” Dixon smiled genuinely. “That’s great. It will make it a lot easier for you to finish adjusting to the idea of having two years of you life gone.”

Sydney shook her head and wondered the best way to phrase this. “The memories I’ve been having? They don’t exactly fit nicely with what you and Kendall have told me.”

“How so?” The fact that Dixon looked concerned but not thrown off by this seemed to keep her nerves from jumping.

“Well, I remember working with Sark. And I’m not talking about the mission we went on for SD-6.”

“That’s impossible. Sark was in U.S. custody the whole time you were missing. I would know. I had to interrogate him for information every day. In the beginning, it was information on what had happened to you. Then, it switched to ties we thought he might potentially have with the Covenant. There wasn’t a day that went by that I didn’t see him in his cell.”

“See, that doesn’t work with my memories. The time I remember spending with him would drag on for days. I remember working on an assignment with him for a whole week in Tanzania. The CIA would have missed him if he went lost for a whole week.”

“Exactly.” Dixon leaned back in his chair. “Want to hear what I think this is really about, Syd?”

She nodded.

“I think you’re just transferring all the pent-up emotions that were created by the whole revelation with your father. I think that you’ve become a little preoccupied with Sark. His recapture has been something for you to focus on instead of your father’s “betrayal” or Lauren Reed’s death. It seems perfectly normal to me.”

“That is a rather convincing explanation.”

“Do your memories resemble any other occurrences you experienced that you remember?”

Sydney thought hard. “There was this one time that I got so mad at Will that I threw a glass of iced tea at his head. And he used to comfort me a lot when I was dealing with Danny’s death. Will was also with me when I found the Rambaldi vial. He stabbed Allison Doren.” She paused for a second and then continued, “And I guess holding a knife to Sark’s throat might just be a fantasy I have.”

“See? It all makes sense.”

Sydney stood up. “Thank you, Dixon. I was starting to get a little worried. This whole thing with my father has made me slightly distrustful of everyone.”

“You can trust me, Sydney.”

“I know,” she smiled at him one last time before shutting the door behind her. She almost ran straight into Marshall who was hurrying down the corridor. “What’s the hurry?”

“Carrie just called. Mitch just said his first word.”

“That’s so great. Was it Mommy or Daddy?”

“No. He said nanotechnology.” Marshall grinned from ear to ear. “He is definitely my son.”

Sydney nodded her head in agreement. Marshall took a few steps but then turned back to her. “What were you talking to Dixon about?”

“Just Sark and some memories I had,” she said absentmindedly. She really wanted to talk with Vaughn about what had happened, but she was beginning to wonder if he really would want to hear anything about her fake memories of being intimate with Sark.

“Yeah. I heard that he managed to evade you. I swear this second attempt was just as successful as the first.”

“What?” Sydney said, snapping back to attention.

Marshall paled. “I just said that he still seems to be good at evading you. I mean, he used to do it all the time back in the day. It looks like his skills aren’t rusty.”

“You said second attempt,” she stated. When he didn’t answer, she gave him an odd look. “If this was his second attempt, what was his first?”

“The time he escaped from the plane we had flying him in to our custody,” Marshall said.

She could immediately tell he was lying. “I don’t think that’s it. I mean, we never officially had him in our custody here at the facility. So it couldn’t be classified as an escape.”

Marshall looked down at the cell phone in his hand. “I’d love to stay and chat with you all day, Syd. But I really need to call Carrie and talk to her about mini-Mitch.” He practically sprinted away from her.

“Weird,” she muttered before taking a seat at her desk again.

Wow...Dixon playing the bad guy for once? :confused: I have no idea what is going to happen next...but I hope that Syd realises soon that Dixon was lying to her...
LOL! Little Mitch's first word: Nanotechnology! :P :rolleyes: Cant really say much seeing as i am in a bit a of mess, but job well done! :smiley:
Hope you do update soon cos I absolutely cannot wait! ^_^
Thanx for the PM!

Whoa man -- toooo much craziness! I can't believe Dixon is lying through his teeth at her! Unless his memory has been changed or something by the CIA... But then why would Marshall remember? Ahh! So many questions! :smiley: Can't wait for the next installment!

you are my absolute favorite fanfic author. And I'm sure because you story "dare you to move" was the first fanfic I ever read. Needless to say I was completely hooked after that. Anyhow, can i please be on your pm list for this story?

I can't believe that Dixon's lying to her..I loved Mitch's first word..lol, so cute.Can't wait for more.

Thanks for the PM
~Rach~

Chapter Three

It was going on three hours Sydney had been laying in bed staring at the wall. She could hear the soft breathing of Vaughn beside her. He didn’t have any trouble falling asleep it seemed. That was probably because he really didn’t know what had gone on earlier that day with Sark.

She had meant to tell him every single thing about her run-in with Sark the second she got home. In fact, she had been looking forward to telling him all in day in hopes that he could give her a definite answer as to what was going on. But after sitting at her desk trying to figure out why Marshall might be lying to her and then being caught in traffic for over an hour, she was jut too tired.

Vaughn didn’t help either. There used to be a time when he just intuitively knew that she was upset about something. That time was way before she had gone missing or he had gotten married. Since they picked up where they left off, things were different. He might not see it, but she did.

She hadn’t expected things to be the exact same. They were both different people from who they were three years before. She had gained a sister, and he had gained a failed marriage. They were still in the reacquainting stages.

Which was why she found herself hesitant to wake him up and tell him about the things that were keeping her from sleeping.

The hesitancy was partially because she knew she shouldn’t be bothered by what had gone on. The rational part of her brain was telling her that these “memories” were just another evil plot by the Covenant or any of her other numerous enemies. Hell, they might be something that her father set up to make her stronger. She wouldn’t put anything past him anymore.

She sighed and slid out of bed without a sound. Her spy skills came in handy at the oddest times. Grabbing a pair of pants out of a drawer and sliding them on, she walked out of the bedroom.

Her apartment was just the same as when she had left it earlier that morning to try to track down Sark. But for some reason, she felt unnerved by its very existence. She thought Vaughn would have suggested by now that they might look into finding a place to live together. It was frustrating, feeling like she was the only one wanting to move this relationship forward past where they had once been. It seemed like all he wanted was the same Sydney to comfort him as he worked through his problems.

“God, that sounded bitter,” she mumbled to herself as she walked into the kitchen. “Do I really feel like that?”

She thought for a moment. Yes, she was a little bitter that things were not as magically happy as she had always imagined they would be when she and Vaughn received their second chance. But that’s no reason to be mad at him. Anyone could have told her that it would take time to get the familiarity back. Things weren’t going to be perfect off the bat.

Throwing those thoughts to the back of her head, she got a glass out of the cupboard and filled it with water from the tap. After jumping up onto the counter, she chanced a glance out of the window. It was a relatively calm night. She could see the stars clearly in the sky. It looked peaceful.

“Doesn’t match what I’m feeling at all,” she mumbled. She looked down at the glass of water in disgust, realizing she had never really wanted it. Setting the untouched glass of water on the counter beside her, she slid off onto the ground.

The feeling of restlessness would not go away no matter how hard she tried. Usually she had to deal with something similar to this after every mission. She always went home too energized and full of adrenaline to just shift back into her “normal” life without a thought. Usually turning on a movie and trying to push all the thoughts out of her head helped her calm down.

This time, she had a feeling that the thoughts racing through her brain wouldn’t allow themselves to be pushed to the back. This whole situation with Sark and their new, mutual memories wasn’t something she was prepared to handle. Not when her life was so fragile and delicate.

Grabbing her denim jacket off of the hook by the door, she let herself out of the house just as quietly as she had slid out of bed. If she played her cards right, Vaughn wouldn’t even know she had left him for a while. Then, she wouldn’t have to explain why she hadn’t been able to tell him what was happening.

It was funny how all she wanted to do now was keep the day’s events from him. First she wanted to tell him everything, and now she wanted to relive none of it. She just wanted to file it away as another crazy occurrence in her life and never think of it again. Then again, if that wish were ever granted, if all the crazy occurrences in her life were filed away where she didn’t have to remember them, she wouldn’t have much of a life left to recall.

The street was deserted as she walked down it. “It’s three o’clock in the morning, Sydney,” she said to herself. “Of course there’s no one around.”

She kicked a stone lightly along the sidewalk as her mind drifted back to Sark. She couldn’t place her finger on why these “memories” made her so jittery. They couldn’t be true. That was just ridiculous. So then why was she so unnerved by them?

Frustrated, she kicked the rock a little too hard and it went sliding into the street. “Damn.”

There was a small noise from the wooded area on her left. Acting on instinct, she crouched down behind a bush and watched as a young couple emerged from the trees. They were laughing and talking about what seemed to be nothing in particular. It reminded Sydney of the way she and Vaughn used to act when they found time to be together outside of the workplace.

“It doesn’t remind me of Vaughn and I anymore,” she mumbled standing up, daring the people to catch sight of her. The bitterness had returned, and she could care less if her presence ruined the romantic moment for these people.

She began to walk across the street. She had only made it a few paces into the road before she screeched to a halt as a particularly unwelcome thought formed in her head. The way that happy couple was acting had stirred her up because it reminded her of... Sark?!?

“Where did that come from?” she wondered, starting to cross the street again. Connecting such a happy scene to Sark made no sense. The only encounters she had had with him involved bitterness and anger. And guns. She couldn’t forget the guns.

There was no happiness in sight during those confrontations. Except for maybe his glee at the few times he had bested her. But those instances were few and far between.

It was at that moment that she understood why her newfound “memories” were unnerving her so. In each and every one of them, she had been blissfully happy. And instinctively, she knew that happiness came not from herself but the fact that she was with Sark.

At one time, he had made her happy.

“That’s it,” she said balling her hands into fists in anger at the ridiculous thoughts in her head. “I am going to get to the bottom of this.”

She began walking with a purpose. Although, in all honesty, she really didn’t know where she was going. She had no clue where to begin figuring out what these memories meant. But for some reason, walking as far away from her house as she could go seemed like the right solution for the moment. She hated the fact that running away from her problems seemed to be the only solution worthy of being tried.

After thirty blocks and no new revelations, she felt her anger boil up again. “God damnit, Sark!” she screamed. “What the hell did you do to me?”

“How many times do I have to tell you that I didn’t do anything to you, Sydney?” said a voice to her right.

Sydney turned and stared at the man in question. “What the hell is he doing here so conveniently?” she thought to herself.

After adjusting to the sight of him for a moment, she decided that she couldn’t believe that he was actually just standing calmly in front of her. It was infuriating how he always seemed to do this to her. Pop up when she both least and most wanted to see him.

Reaching into the pocket of her jacket nonchalantly, she cursed herself when she felt it was empty. “What a night to leave your gun at home, Bristow!” she yelled at herself.

Prepared to accept that shooting Sark was not a current option, she decided that she would just try to get some information out of him. That way whatever was about to happen wouldn‘t be useless to her. Voicing the thoughts that had previously run through her head, she asked, “What the hell are you doing here? When I lost you in Spain, I thought you’d be miles and miles away from Los Angeles by now. That‘s what a rational person would do, you know. Go into hiding.”

“I didn’t have anywhere else to go. And for some reason, I had a pretty sure feeling that the CIA wouldn’t be making any more attempts to find me any time soon, banking on the fact that you didn’t tell them about the strange occurrence that happened to us in Pamplona.”

She looked at him suspiciously. “How did you know I wouldn’t tell?”

“The same reason that I didn’t tell any of my contacts. It’s still too new and strange. People will think we’re crazy if we start spouting off about fake memories and potential brainwashing. Especially ones that involve us willingly spending time with one another. It just doesn‘t make sense.”

Grasping the full situation she had stumbled into, she glared at him. “Do you realize how pathetic this makes you look?” When he gave her a confused look, she tried to elaborate. “I mean, don’t you have something better to do than follow me around like a lost little puppy that has no home?”

Sark gave her a funny look and motioned down at the ground. Sydney looked at where he pointed and noticed a leash in his hand connected to a small Scottish Terrier who happened to be peeing on a nearby lamp post. “I was walking my dog,” he stated simply in case she couldn’t put two and two together.

The only thing she could think of to say was “You have a dog?”

“I am a person. I do like animals,” he said defensively.

Sydney managed to pull herself together. “I always pictured you as the animal torturing kind of guy, not a pet lover.”

“I don’t love all pets,” he said indignantly. “Just Killer here.”

“You named your dog Killer?”

“I thought it was ironic,” he mumbled, picking the dog up into his arms. “So what brings you to my front doorstep at this inappropriately early hour, Sydney Bristow?”

“Your doorstep?”

“You know you really have to stop repeating my words back to me as a question. It’s a nasty habit.” He took a deep breath and pointed behind him. “This is my house. I live there. You’re standing in my front lawn. I was just wondering why you made you way to here at three o’clock in the morning. Business hours are over, you know.”

“You have a house?”

“Do you think I live in a hotel room or something? That I live my life day to day keeping all my ties to any sort of normal life to a minimum? That is such stereotypical thinking, Sydney. I wouldn’t have guessed you would be one of those people.” He sighed. “Contrary to popular belief, men like me do have houses they go home to. Not with wives and kids waiting for them, but houses none the less. I bought this one a few months ago when I realized my work would keep me close to Los Angeles. Plus, I didn’t want to be too far from the woman I was sleeping with.”

“Lauren Reed.” It was more of a statement than a question.

“Michael Vaughn told you, did he? No secrets between you two.”

Her mind immediately jumped to the fact that Vaughn didn’t know she had left the house. And he didn’t know what had gone on between her and Sark in Spain.

When the tension got too great and she broke eye contact, he smiled wickedly. “Or is there?”

After a moment of awkward silence, he asked, “Why are you here again?” She didn’t respond, causing him to groan, and he began walking back towards his front door. “I bet you’re going to chalk this whole encounter up to my freaky mind control,” he called over his shoulder.

“About that mind control?” Sydney said as she cut him off from escaping into the house. “Is that really what’s causing this?”

He narrowed his eyes and studied her intently. “This whole thing has really shook you up, hasn’t it? You just don’t know what to do with yourself anymore.”

“Don’t flatter yourself, Sark.”

“You can’t hide the fact that you’ve been thrown off a little. Not used to the excitement, it seems. Isn’t Michael Vaughn enough for you anymore?”

She slapped him hard. “Don’t you ever talk about him, Sark.”

Sark reached his free hand up and rubbed his chin. “You’ve got a good slap on you, Bristow. Lots of men must have deserved one of those over the years for you to get so proficient at it.”

Sydney was the one staring at him now intently. “I just want to know what’s happening.”

Sark sighed and set his dog back down on the ground. He motioned for her to have a seat next to him on the front steps of his house. “Honestly, this whole situation between the two of us has gotten so abnormal in the past twenty-four hours. My gut instinct is telling me that I should kill you now while you seem vulnerable.” Sydney inched away from him slightly. “I’m not going to kill you, Bristow. So just settle down. For starters, just like you, I‘ve left my gun in the house.”

They sat in silence shoulder to shoulder for a few minutes. Sark was playing with Killer, making him turn around in circles to try to catch his tail, while Sydney just ran her fingers across the pavement, making them tingle like she used to do when she was little. “This is surreal,” she muttered.

“Tell me about it,” Sark responded. He stopped teasing the dog and placed his hands on his knees.

They returned to silence for a moment until Sydney broke it again. “What are you going to do with me then if you‘re not planning on killing me? I mean, I know the location of your secret lair,” she joked.

“Maybe I’ll just have to tweak the mind control thing a little bit.” He was happy to see the side of her mouth turn up slightly into what he could only hope was a smile. “But honestly, I’m just as confused as you are. I can’t figure out how it would be possible for you and I to remember the exact same things at the exact same times. And you know what the strangest thing of all is?”

“What?” Sydney asked, genuinely interested in hearing the answer.

“These memories, I can just tell that whatever they are, whether they‘re real or fake, they make me happy. If they were real, then I was happy with you once. And I don’t think I can ever remember a time I was happy with my life.” He paused. “Well, I guess these new memories mean that I do remember a happy time. But before now, I couldn‘t recall one.”

“Oh come on,” she said shaking her head. “You can’t tell me that you have never been happy. Every little kid has moments of happiness when they’re growing up.”

“You don’t understand, Sydney. I grew up not at home with my parents but in a number of different British boarding schools. Ironically enough, I was practically raised completely by a group of nuns. I thought Sister Mary Catherine was my mother up until I was six. At school, if I was lucky and I wished hard enough, I might get to see my father for every other Christmas. I was always the boy left alone at the dormitory for holidays. Which branded me as too strange to befriend.” Realizing how odd his little confession was in the current situation, he shot a look at Sydney and tried to cover his emotional tracks. “But that didn’t really effect me.”

“Right,” she said, unbelieving. They sat in silence for a moment before she added, “But you turned out relatively okay, I guess.”

“How do you mean?”

“Well, you have that whole cool mysterious murderer thing going for you. It has its own kind of charm to it.”

Sark bent down and petted his dog lightly on the head. “Yeah, I guess it does.” He stood up and made a move to go into the house. “I want you to know something.” She looked up at him. “We’re enemies. I think that’s something at least that we can count on.”

“Sure,” she said with a small shrug.

“Regardless, something’s shaken you up pretty bad. I can tell.” He sighed. “This is going to seem strange. But you can come to me if you need me. If you get shaken up again or anything.”

She just looked at him in shock. This was not the type of thing she thought Sark would say to her. In fact, nothing that had happened in the past twenty-four hours seemed characteristic of him. It was at that moment that she realized this situation might be unnerving him just as much as it was unnerving her. “I understand,” she said softly.

“Listen, Sydney. I know that one day down the road, probably soon, the CIA is going to send you out to find me again. It’s what we do, right? The whole running and chasing thing.” She nodded. “I just wanted to tell you that you shouldn’t let whatever these things in our head and whatever conversations we’ve had keep you from doing your job.”

“Are you giving me permission to kill you?” she said, a surprised look on her face.

“Like you ever could,” he said with a wink before shutting the door.

Sydney smiled to herself as she heard Killer yapping inside the house. She was stunned to realize that she wasn’t so unnerved anymore. Talking with him had helped her get a handle on the thoughts and “memories” running through her head.

“Weird,” she muttered for the second time that day. With a sigh, she stood up and began to make her way back home to where Vaughn was still waiting for her, asleep in her bed.

That was fabulous! ^_^ :cool: Yay! Syd and Sark are starting to establish their relationship...again! :blush: To sum the whole chapter up: Great Chappie!!

Loved Sark playing with his dog, so cute and I like that they had a pretty normal conversation together.Can't wait for more, thanks for the PM.

~Rach~

great story so far! :D i can't wait to see what happens next. could i get a pm when you update, thanks!

Author’s Note: For those of you confused about this story, there is a backstory to it. I wrote a piece called “The Safety of His Arms” set during Syd’s missing two years for a challenge at AllAlias.com. So, if anyone has questions as to why Sark and Syd seem so uncharacteristically nice to or happy around each other, the answer lies therein. Also, the story does occur in “real time.” My first story could have actually happened without altering any of the events in Season 3. So, the point that all the characters are at is the point at which we last saw them, aka the Season 3 finale. From then on, it goes into an alternate universe (unless J.J. sees the genius in my story and decides to make it fact. Sadly, I don’t think that’s a feasible option...). I hope that clears up any confusion that might have been going on.

Her life returned to a relatively normal state of being after her late night run-in with Sark. Sydney still couldn’t believe how much their conversation had satisfied the questions in her mind and made her put the whole situation behind her. Well, mostly behind her, considering she still thought about it at least once every ten minutes. But that was an improvement from every other minute.

What unnerved her most now was that it just wasn’t right for her known enemy to have this “power” over her. To be able to put her at such ease without really even trying.

Frustrating didn’t even begin to describe it.

The dynamic around the CIA facility was just as frustrating. Since Marshall had made his “slip-up“, if she even wanted to call it that, there had been a general sense of something being a little off. She couldn’t tell what, but there was something hanging in the air that she had never noticed. There was something she didn’t know that she had a feeling she should.

She tried to ask Vaughn if he noticed the strange vibe, but every time she got him alone, he never really answered her question, at least not quite in the way she wanted him to. It was painfully obvious that Marshall would have been an easy target to corner and get the truth out of. Too bad he seemed to always be walking in the other direction whenever she saw him. Subtlety had never been his strong suit, and it still wasn‘t something he was good at now.

Once she could have sworn she would have gotten him trapped in the copy room, but miraculously her father swooped in to distract her for just long enough to let Marshall escape. This was the first time her father had approached her in the office since she found out how he had been “controlling” her life. The situation had conspiracy written all over it.

She tapped her fingers lightly on her desk and scanned the Rotunda. Everyone seemed rather busy for a Thursday. Suspiciously busy...

“And I’m becoming a paranoid freak,” she muttered to herself as she sat up in her chair. Sighing, she flicked her mouse so that the screen saver popped off her screen. The Uplicore files were still there. It infuriated her when she wasn’t out in the field on a mission, it seemed she was always stuck with the busy work.

“I mean, who honestly cares if this damn paint company might have ties to the Russian mob? What has the Russian mob done lately?” she muttered to herself.

“The question is what has the Russian mob done lately that we haven’t known about,” Weiss said as he took a seat on the corner of her desk. He threw a brown paper bag at you. “Lunch. I took the liberty of getting you a Turkey and Swiss.”

She beamed and ripped into the bag. After a second, she looked up at him in shock. “No pickle?”

“I got hungry on the walk over to your desk.”

“It’s twenty yards.”

He came up with another excuse. “I needed the energy.”

“Whatever.” She smiled again while she tore into the sandwich. “Thank you, by the way.”

“No problem. It seems this is what my official job has come to include. Just call me the Sandwich Man.”

“At least you’re not stuck with the busy work on the computer. I would kill to be the Sandwich Man.”

Weiss smirked at her. “You don’t have what it takes, sweetheart. It’s a lot of responsibility. Someday, though, if you work hard enough...”

Sydney laughed. “So, what did you really want? Besides making sure I’m still eating and keeping up my strength?”

He got a serious look on his face. “I wanted to ask what’s been going on with you. You’ve been acting a little different the past couple days. And I don’t recall the usual office memo that goes around when we’ve discovered another life-changing Bristow family secret.”

“Are there really memos?’ she asked, stopping mid-bite.

“Tragically, yes, there are. Your personal lives always seem to affect national security, so there’s no way around it. Office memos are the only clear method of communication. Too bad the CIA hasn’t learned about the downfalls of leaving paper trails. You think they’d watch a few more of the movies about their organization, but, no, they think they are above that. The CIA would be a well-oiled machine of world domination if they only learned from the fictional CIA’s mistakes. ” Weiss stopped talking and looked at her for a moment before changing the subject drastically. “So are you going to tell me what’s up or do I have to torture it out of you with more mindless babbling?”

“Nothing is up,” she answered shortly.

He looked at her again for a moment, trying to find a crack in her currently cool exterior. “Does it have something to do with Sark?”

She choked on her sandwich and had to take several gulps of water before she could talk. “What the hell made you say that?”

“Well, you’ve been acting strange since Spain. The usual Sark-apprehending mission never seems to bug you, so I just figured he might have said something that made you think twice about something.”

“There was a lot of vagueness in that sentence. You really think something’s wrong but have no idea what it is, don’t you?”

“That’s my general feeling towards you most of the time. One thing I’ve learned about you is you are a very hard girl to get a handle on, Syd.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” She took a bite and set her sandwich down. “Listen. I’m working through a few things right now. Something Sark said to me threw me off. But I’m pulling myself back together. I’ll be acting normal again real soon. So stop worrying.”

“There’s only one problem with that. I asked Vaughn what was wrong with you earlier, and he said nothing. How could something be upsetting you so much and your own boyfriend doesn’t know about it?”

Sydney hung her head so she didn’t have to look Weiss in the eye. “I didn’t tell Vaughn.”

He sighed and took a few deep breaths before speaking. “I thought your parents might have taught you this valuable life lesson, but it looks like you may need a refresher. Lying never helps a relationship become stronger, Syd. You and Michael are on shaky ground right now. You can’t be hiding things like this from him already. It only leads to someone getting hurt in the end.”

“I know that. I meant to tell him.”

“I’m sure that you did,” Weiss said, showing that he wasn’t doubting her intentions. “But you’re going to have to tell him soon. And hey! I think now is a perfect time to practice. Tell me what Sark said that upset you.”

“No,” she said firmly.

“Whoa. A little anger doesn’t do a body good.”

“It’s not important,” she said standing up. She threw the leftover paper wrapper from her sandwich into the trashcan next to her desk. “Thanks for the sandwich, Weiss. And the talk. But I’ll be fine.”

“You promise?”

“Yeah,” she said with a smile.

She was happy to see that Weiss seemed to buy her excuses. Telling him that she was constantly remembering a time where she was incredibly happy with Sark was not something she ever wanted to go through. Especially not when she was still trying to convince herself that the situation was confusing rather than eerily straight forwarded like it seemed.

Not actually intending to go anywhere but now not wanting to return to her desk, she wandered down into the forensics section of the facility. It was fairly deserted, and she recalled overhearing something about their being a big crime scene somewhere in the city that had to deal with the Covenant or some other evil organization trying to take over another evil organization. For once, she was happy that something evil had happened. It gave her a much needed moment of peace and quiet.

Sydney was staring at a rather strange inscription on a book underneath a plate of Plexi-glass when her head started to pound. Before she had time to even lift her hand up to her temples, her eyes had become cloudy and she could feel herself lose her balance.

Within seconds, she could feel that she had fallen to the floor, but she couldn’t get herself to stand up. Her head was pounding with such precision that she had to do everything in her power just to focus on the images flashing through her brain.

She was lying on the floor of her old house, barely conscious. Allison Doren was pulling herself up to lay against the opposite wall. This confused Sydney a little bit. Hadn’t she just shot her three times? Who got up from that kind of a thing?

Sydney watched in horror as a team of masked men walked into the room and began to pour some kind of liquid over everything in sight. She reeled back as the smell of gasoline permeated her nose. Trying to move, she realized that she couldn’t. She was just too tired.

Without any sign that she was conscious, she watched as one of the men walked over to where Allison was leaning. He pulled off his mask, and she saw the familiar blond hair of Sark. This confused her. He was supposed to be in a CIA prison cell, not scavenging for survivors at her house. She had personally apprehended him in Stockholm with Vaughn. They had hand delivered him to the CIA. This didn’t make any sense.

She watched him touch Allison’s cheek with affection, and she saw Allison look back at him with the same emotion. She wished she could just lose consciousness now. She knew at the time it probably hadn’t felt this way. But in her heart at that moment, she felt a small pang of pain, something like heartbreak.

And it was at that moment that Sark turned and locked eyes with hers.

She could tell immediately that he knew she was conscious. There was really never any fooling him.

He dropped his hand away from Allison and began walking towards her. “I never thought this would be the way I died,” she thought to herself. Sark bent down and felt for her pulse underneath her chin.

Any second now she was expecting to see him pull out a gun to finish her off. Which is why she was so surprised when he stood up and started yelling that someone needed to get her some medical attention right now.

If she had energy, she would have asked what he was doing. Her eyes locked with Allison’s from across the room. The jealousy was plain to see. For whatever reasons, Sark was abandoning her to make sure that Sydney was all right.

Not knowing what else to do, she felt herself finally let go of her grip on consciousness as Sark lifted her up in his arms.

And with that last bit, Sydney sat up with a start. It took her a moment to realize that she was lying on the floor of the forensics wing where she had been taking a brief walk to avoid doing work. She had no idea what happened.

“Just another strange memory to file away with the others,” she said, standing up and dusting herself off with conviction.

There was a voice in the back of her head, nagging her relentlessly. It kept saying that this memory wasn’t as strange as she wanted it to be. It made sense. It fit right in nicely with all the other images she had been trying to suppress for days.

In fact, this new development actually gave her a more certain feeling that her other memories were true. If Sark hadn’t been in the CIA’s custody during her missing two years, that could provide for the time frame in which her other memories occurred.

Marshall’s comments from a few days before rang through her head. “He said second attempt,” she mumbled to herself as she began to make her way back to her desk before someone noticed she had been missing a long time. “Maybe he wasn’t referring to evading me. Maybe he was referring to the fact that it was the second time Sark successfully got out of the CIA’s custody. Which would support these new memories I have.”

By the time she had pieced this little bit together, she had reached her desk. Sitting down, thoughts still kept racing through her head connecting more and more pieces to one another.

“And if he wasn’t here in CIA custody for those two years, then everyone must have known. Which would mean everyone in this building has been lying to me for the past year.” Realizing her mistake, she corrected herself. “No not everyone, just those that had a hand in the whole business with Sark. Like Marshall. Dixon. Vaughn.”

She shook her head as she recognized a second mistake. “No, Vaughn probably wouldn’t have known. He was distraught with my death. It would have killed him to know that Sark had also escaped. Dixon would have made sure to keep it a secret from him and most of the office. But that would mean he’d need some agents who knew the full situation. People he could trust. Like Weiss. And...”

She stared across the office at where Jack Bristow was talking to one of the tech guys. “...my father.”

Whoa! That was a bit of a cliffy! I mean you cant just let us off, when she is obviously about to confront Jack!!! :angry: You better update real soon, possibly before the big guys upstairs upgrade the server (plz?!?!?!?!?!?!?) :cool:

Back