Haunting Memories

Woo hoo!!! An update!! :D

For a sec, i was thinking that Julian was actually going to lie to her about the phone call... phew, im glad he didnt!

Its great that Syd is so understanding.

Im realy interested to know where this storyline is going to go, everything thing seems so complicated yet, it all seems okay.

Thanks for the PM, update really soon :smiley:

Chapter Twenty-One

Sydney stared out the window as the plane flew over the Pacific Ocean. The memories of her missing years had not come back to her fully. At least not yet.

There were some aspects of it that she did remember. She could remember falling in love slowly by surely with the man seated across the aisle from her. The concept of it still baffled her, though. This was a man she had hated with all her being in the years she had come up against him in the field. He made her so frustrated and mad. He had screwed with her, mind, body, and soul.

And she loved him.

There were times over the two years where she felt as lonely as a person could be. Those were the times he was there for her. She didn’t know why, but he was there.

A week earlier, he had told her that the only reason he had been working with the Covenant was to kill her. It just didn’t add up to the memories she had. He never once tried to kill her in their time together. He had been a pillar of strength, the one thing that kept her moving towards the goal of taking down the Covenant. Without him, she would never have succeeded.

He hadn’t made one move to try to kill her or hurt her in any way. From the very beginning of their time together, he had protected her. He pulled her from her burning house when everyone present was arguing that she should just be allowed to burn. He pointed out the use she held for the Covenant.

True, he might have been trying to keep her alive just so that he could kill her himself. But, still, it was an awful lot of trouble to go to.

She knew Sark better than probably any other person in the world. He could be cold and emotionless most of the time, but the theory that Romanowsky brought to the table didn’t even fit in with that hard persona. To support the theory, Sark would have had to hand deliver her to the Covenant with the intent of letting her become a cold-blooded killer. He would have had to assume she would trust him enough to buy the lies he fed her about it being her national duty to take down the Covenant before they became too powerful. Then, when she finally trusted him and became Julia Thorne, when she finally was benefiting the Covenant, when they could see how much she would add up to one day, he would kill her without a thought.

Again, it just didn’t make sense.

Sydney turned her head away from the window to stare at Sark once more. He was sitting quietly typing on his laptop. It was a scene she had gotten used to over the years with the Covenant. He had visited her every night with his laptop. Most nights, they barely exchanged a word. At least in the beginning. Back then, she still hated him very much.

It was strange to realize that as her hatred for him slowly melted away, she was becoming more and more like him. She began to erect emotional barriers and walls to keep everyone at arm’s length. The work he convinced her to do required it.

She never fully understood why she found it so easy to give up the last few holds she had on her life as Sydney Bristow. If she and Sark hadn’t been forced to erase their memories and return to their old lives, she truly believed that her life as Sydney would have died completely. She would have embraced her Julia Thorne persona if it might being able to stay with Julian Lazarey.

He had both made her cold and kept her alive at the same time. He had changed her in so many ways.

“I still love you,” she said softly.

He looked up from his work. “Good to know.”

“I just felt like I should tell you. No matter what happens between us, I don’t think that will change. There was some sort of bond formed between us when we were with the Covenant. I don’t think it can be broken. I don’t care if you maneuvered me into my work there because you intended to kill me. You and I are not the same people we were back then.”

Sark shook his head. “I still can’t believe I would be willing to cause you so much pain just to get what I wanted. I wanted to hurt the Covenant, but I would never use you so completely to do it.”

“Yes, you would. The person you were then would have used me.”

Frustrated, he slammed his laptop closed. “You would have personally had to have done something really horrible to me. There’s no way I would have used you as a pawn. Number one, I know you’re way to smart to let me do that to you. Number two, I would have been scared to death what you would have done to me if you found out.”

“I would have killed you on the spot and returned to my life in L.A.”

“Exactly. You see, I don’t think I wanted to die.” He gave her a small smile. “I think there are still a few missing pieces to the puzzle.”

“We’ll find them,” she said, reaching across the aisle to grasp his hand in hers. “Meanwhile, you and I can focus on something else.”

“And what is that?”

“How the hell am I going to explain to everyone back home that I’m marrying you?”

“You mean how are you going to explain it to Michael Vaughn?”

She rolled her eyes and pulled her hand away from him. “Contrary to your belief, my thoughts do not revolve around Vaughn.”

“They used to.”

“Sure, I’ll admit to that. But he hurt me. And I don’t react well to hurt. I still love him, but he doesn’t mean half as much to me as you do. You are the man I love, Julian. And he’s going to have to accept that.” She looked back absentmindedly out the window. “I’m most worried about Dixon and my father. They hate you.”

“Let’s not be irrational. Everyone hates me, not just those two.”

“But they hate you enough to kill you for the kind of mind control you must have over me to get me to agree to marrying you.”

“Ah. The mind control theory. I think that might be a popular one. We’ll have to form our defenses now.”

Sydney felt the plane bump lightly against the ground as it touched down. “Looks like we’re too late.” She crossed the aisle and leaned over Sark to peer out the window on the other side of the plane. “Great. No rest for the wicked, I guess. My father’s waiting for us at the landing dock.”

“We’ll at least we’ll get the worst out of the way immediately.”

“If you make it out of there alive, that is.” As the door lowered to let the outside air in, Sydney stood up and made her way off the plane. She stopped just before getting off the plane and turned to him. “Let me have a minute.”

“Whatever you want,” Sark said, winking. He didn’t know what the correct thing to do was to give her enough strength to say what needed to be said to her father. This whole having someone who depended on him and needed his support was a new concept. It was complete uncharted territory. And he was either scared s***less or finally completely content. He couldn’t decide which.

Sydney took a deep breath of air before walking slowly down the landing steps and over to her father. Stopping at a halt in front of him, she glared. “Why are you here?”

“Dixon told me that something went wrong with your mission with Agent Harling I was worried.”

“With good reason. It seems like you knew that Agent Harling wasn’t exactly batting for our team, Dad. Why would you let me go on a mission with her?”

“I was preoccupied with my own assignments.”

“For a man who was trying to control my life and what’s happening to me, you’re really not that good at it, are you?” She didn’t give him an opportunity to respond. “And I’m calling bulls*** on your little comment about worrying. You never really worry about me when I’m on missions. You know I can take care of myself. You’ve banked on that little fact for years now. So, I ask again. Why are you here?”

“Rumor around the office is that you had help on the mission. I wanted to hear firsthand if that’s true.”

“If you’re asking if Sark was there to help me, then, yes, I had help. That help saved my life, Dad. I was going to be killed by the double agent the CIA set me up with. By the way, you might want to mention to Dixon that we need a better screening process of our agents.”

“Don’t change the subject.”

She narrowed her eyes. “Oh, I wouldn’t dare change the subject. Not before I tell you how this is going to go.”

“You’re going to tell me?” He chuckled. “That I would like to see, Sydney.”

“Well, you already tried to tell me how things were going to go. That didn’t really stick seeing as how I’m currently determined to marry the man you previously forbid me to see.”

“Marry?”

“He asked me to spend the rest of my life with him shortly after he saved my ass. I told him yes without much thought.”

“That was rash.”

“I knew that if, after more thought, I decided that it wasn’t going to work, I could tell him no. He loves me unconditionally. He would have understood.”

“But you haven’t backed out so obviously you haven’t given it more thought.”

“I thought about it the whole flight back to the States. I’m a different person that you remember, Dad. My time with the Covenant changed me. I know I keep saying that, but you just can’t seem to accept it. I don’t need you to protect me, to tell me what’s the right decision to make. I’ve been making that mistake and so many more for years now. It’s time I decide what mistakes to make.”

“You can’t be serious about marrying that murderer.”

“Newsflash, Dad. I’m a murderer, too. I’ve done things I’m not proud of. The only thing that kept me sane was Sark. He’s the only thing in my life that I’m sure of right now.”

“He’ll stab you in the back the minute you let your guard down.”

“People have done that to me before.” She purposefully stared him in the eye intently. “I lived.”

Jack grabbed her arm forcefully. “You need to see Dr. Barnett. Something has happened to you. You’re not thinking rationally.”

She ripped herself away from him. “I’m thinking more rationally than I ever have before. I suggest you accept that before our relationship is scarred permanently.”

Jack took a deep breath. “Listen. I love you, Sydney. You’re my daughter, and I respect you. But I don’t think you’re in a position to see this whole situation clearly. You need help.”

“She has help,” said a voice from over Sydney’s shoulder.

She turned to see Sark standing in the plane doorway. He winked at her. Turning back to her father, she smiled. “I have help. I trust him.”

“You’re a fool.”

“I’ve been telling her that since she agreed to marry me. She won’t listen.” Sark made his way down the stairs to stand next to Sydney. “Aren’t you going to welcome me to the family?”

Jack just scowled and turned to his daughter. “I am getting in that car and driving away. You’re coming with me.”

“I am not. As soon as you stop trying to control my life, Dad, you’ll see that this might be the best decision I’ve ever made in my life.”

“Aren’t you afraid of how you’ll be able to do your job when you’re married to the enemy?”

“Sark has never really been the enemy. At least not completely. But I see where you’re coming from. Sark and I have already met in the field since we started this relationship. It didn’t go badly. I got what I wanted. He got what he wanted.”

“I would never cause her harm, Jack,” Sark said, slipping his hand into hers. “She’s the only good thing I have in my life. If it came to it, I would fail at any mission I was assigned if it kept her safe. My loyalties are flexible to anyone but her.”

Sydney held up the hand that was entwined with Sark. “Accept this, Dad. If you can do that, maybe we can figure out what to do about the issues between us.” She nodded and began to walk away from her father.

“That went relatively well. You did fine.”

“I almost gave in,” she admitted.

“That’s why I came out of the plane. You needed a little strength.”

“Thanks.”

“Any time, love. One down…”

“…So many more to go.” She sighed and let go of his hand reluctantly. “I want to talk to Dixon first. And you know what that means?”

“Either I leave you to go off on your own or there’s a blindfold and a bunch of wrong turns in my near future.”

“I don’t think you’re ready for the blindfold stage of this relationship.”

“I don’t think I am, either.” He walked over to his car that was waiting for him. Sydney couldn’t even begin to fathom how he had managed to get his car to the airport so quickly. “So, your place or mine tonight?”

“You come to mine. In the daytime. Without hiding.” She smiled and waved as he shut the door behind him. “That’s the way it’s going to be now.”

“It’s nice, isn’t it?” he said, sliding a pair of sunglasses onto his face.

“Yeah, extremely nice.”

He turned the key in the ignition. “Good luck. You’re going to need it.”

As she watched him drive off into the horizon, she shook her head. “I sure am,” she mumbled, turning to make her way to the CIA facilities.

Gah... so sweet!

Hahaha! Go Syd! Man... it musta been scary talkin to Jack like that... yeesh! *shudders*

I love the fact that theyre still talking to each other and trying to work out why Sark would kill Sydney... its just so... good! :angelic:

Thanks for the PM, update soon! ^_^

Hi!
I've just found out that you've wrote a sequel to The Safety of his Arms.
*running around the room and is happy"
Can you please add me to the pm list.
Because I really love the stories
Bye

Chapter Twenty-Two

The trail of dust Sark’s car left behind had barely dissipated when Sydney heard her cell phone ring. She smiled at the number on the display. “Hi, Weiss.”

“Sydney, I’ve been calling you for over an hour. Where have you been?”

She pushed a stray hair out of her face as she slid her sunglasses on. “A thousand miles over the Pacific. What’s up?”

“You need to get to the CIA hospital as soon as you can. It’s Vaughn.”

Her heart froze. “I’m on my way.” She flipped the phone closed and made a beeline to the car the CIA had left waiting for her at the terminal. The logical thing would probably have been to stay on the phone with Weiss while she was driving so that he could tell her the whole story, but she really didn’t think she could drive and comprehend the full story at the same time.

She made it to the hospital in less than ten minutes, a definite record. Especially considering she hadn’t cut off more than a dozen people and there was only one incident at a crosswalk. Racing into the front lobby, she saw Weiss talking with Dixon. “What the hell is going on?” she yelled when she got within earshot.

“We’re not really sure,” Weiss began to explain as they walked into the main hospital corridor. “Vaughn and I were on a stupid snatch and grab routine mission. He kept complaining that he was having sharp pains in his head. I told him to take some Advil, and then he just collapsed. Fainted dead away like southern belle in the hot Mississippi heat.”

Dixon shot him a look. “You really can’t turn that off, can you?” He turned to Sydney. “The doctors haven’t been able to conclude anything yet.”

Sydney nodded. “I’m glad you called me.”

“It wasn’t our decision,” Dixon admitted. “Vaughn regained consciousness for about thirty seconds right when Weiss first got him to the hospital. He demanded that you be brought in. Said there was some kind of connection he made that he had to tell you about. Do you know what he meant?”

She shook her head. It suddenly occurred to her that she really hadn’t been in much contact with Vaughn since they parted ways romantically. She had been a little too wrapped up in her own personal problems and her new relationship with Sark. As a partner, it was beginning to become obvious that she was neglecting a few things.

Weiss nodded smugly. “That’s what I thought and what I told Dixon you would say. Honestly, I have no idea what he was talking about either. All I know is Vaughn has something seriously wrong with him. The doctors said if he doesn‘t wake up within the next forty-eight hours, there could be serious brain damage.”

“How could this have happened from a headache?”

Weiss glanced at Dixon. “Actually, I’ve been telling Dixon that I think it’s more than that. He’s been having trouble remembering things lately. Stupid, simple things that he should have known like where he left his keys, the location of Marshall’s office, my first name.”

Sydney’s eyes lit up in recognition as she made the connection. “I noticed that. He forgot… something important when I talked to him last about our fight. He promised that he’d see someone about it.”

“Well, he didn’t. If I had known, I would have taken him off active duty,” Dixon said. “He wasn’t in a condition to be working.”

“I have to see him.” She started down the hallway intent on doing just that and completely oblivious to anyone who might have told her otherwise. This hospital room seemed a lot more white and empty than she remembered them being. It also didn’t help that a man she cared for greatly was lying helpless in the bed in front of her. “Oh, Michael,” she said, sighing and taking a seat in the chair next to his bed. She reached out and grasped his hand in hers. “What have you gotten yourself into now?”

After a moment’s study of him, she changed her mind. “Make that what I have done to put you in this position. Damnit. I have no idea how this could have happened to you. Why didn‘t you tell Dixon about what was happening? Damnit.”

Frustrated she stood up and started pacing. There was really nothing else she could do. Her mind was racing with theories on what happened, why it happened, why Vaughn. Nothing made sense.

Weiss found her still pacing and muttering to herself two hours later when the doctor finally cleared all other CIA personnel to see Vaughn. He told her that she needed a break and instructed she go get coffee or something else that was available from the vending machines down the hall. Initially she refused, saying that Vaughn was going to want to see when he woke up. Weiss reminded her repeatedly that the doctors said it might be a while.

Eventually, she took his advice and went down the hall to the vending machines. Three straight cups of coffee later however, she still didn’t feel any more awake or alert to the situation. There was no sudden epiphany about what had happened to Vaughn and why, no matter how much she tried to make it happen. Frustrated she motioned to Weiss who was standing outside Vaughn’s room talking on his cell phone that she was getting some much needed fresh air.

After taken a few deep breaths, she slid her sunglasses on to hide the puffiness in her eyes and began to walk toward where she had hurriedly parked her car. Her phone was on the front seat, exactly where she flung it. She dialed Sark’s number and was relieved to hear him pick up on the second ring. “I don’t think I’m going to be able to let you come over today.”

He heard the emotion in her voice immediately. “Where are you? What happened?”

“I’m at the hospital. Vaughn’s sick. I can’t leave him. I just can‘t.”

“I’m not asking you to, Syd. What happened?”

“No one really knows. He’s been having weird lapses in memory for a while now. Weiss said he’s been forgetting trivial everyday things that he should know. But it’s not just that. Julian, he forgot that on the night he threw me out of his house that I told him I was in love with you. He couldn’t remember that.”

She heard him pause on the other end of the line. Eventually, he replied, “That is definitely not a good sign. What have the doctors said?”

“They don’t know anything. I mean, besides the fact that this is serious.” She bit her lip self-consciously. “I think this has something to do with me. I think someone was trying to hurt him to get at me.”

“It’s not always about you, Syd,” he said bluntly.

“I know that. But most of the time it really is.”

“What are you thinking?”

“I think someone has been slowly doing something to him. They wanted to get at me through him. Then he and I broke up. I don’t know if they just decided to keep going with the plan or if they really didn’t know anything changed between us. But he’s in the hospital because of me.” The reality of the situation finally hit her full on, and she began to sob. Through her tears, she managed to spit out, “I’m sorry. I know that I’m supposed to be strong, but I’m getting sick and tired of people getting hurt because of me.”

“Whoever told you that you had to be strong is a moron, Syd. You don’t have to be strong if you can’t be.”

She smiled despite her still falling tears. “I need you, Julian.”

“Consider it done. I’m already on my way. I’ll be there within five minutes. Just hang on.”

She shut the phone and slumped to the ground next to her car, still crying. People passed her by, trying not to stare, but she knew they couldn’t really help it. She was a complete mess. Emotionally. Physically. Her body was still bruised and battered from her altercation with Agent Harling. The pain usually helped her focus, but it seemed like nothing could help her understand what was going on.

Before she could even register that a full five minutes had passed, Sark was on his knees next to her pulling her into his arms. “It’s all right, love. This is not your fault. You didn’t ask for this.”

“Thank you for coming,” she spit out between the sobs that began to swell again.

Knowing there really wasn‘t anything else to say, he whispered in her ear, “I love you.”

When her tears had started to slow, he helped her up off the ground and led her back into the hospital. This wasn’t going to be easy, but he knew that he couldn’t just leave her to deal with this on her own. His eyes immediately met Weiss’s as he walked hand in hand with Sydney down the hall.

“Don’t,” Sydney said, letting go of Sark and walking over to Weiss. She touched his cheek lightly. “I need him to be here right now, Eric. I promise you and I can argue about it later, but just don’t right now.”

Weiss nodded and stood back, allowing Sydney to look into the hospital room. “He’s still not conscious?”

“No,” Dixon said, stepping into the room. “The doctor suggested we give him time to relax for a little while. Now would be a good time for us to have a chat outside, Sydney.” He motioned for her to follow him out the door.

She grasped Sark’s hand a little tighter and followed. This might actually be harder than telling her father about her relationship with Sark. The difference being that Dixon’s feelings still mattered to her quite a bit. He had been her father figure at work for years, ever since Arvin Sloane matched him up with her as partners at SD-6.

Dixon paused as soon as they entered the private waiting room the CIA had organized for them to wait in. “So, start explaining, Syd.”

Sark let go of Sydney’s hand and took a few steps towards Dixon. “Before you two get started, I’m just going to excuse myself. If you want to talk to me when you’re done, Mr. Dixon, I’ll be right outside the door.” He kissed Sydney lightly on the top of the head and shut the door behind him.

Sydney sighed and turned to Dixon. “He saved my life, Marcus. Agent Harling was about to kill me, and he saved me from her.”

“That doesn’t explain why he is here at this very moment.”

“I needed him here.”

“Vaughn wouldn’t approve if he was able to talk.”

“Do not use Michael Vaughn to prove your point. He would approve if I could explain myself to him.”

“I’m sorry,” Dixon said, touching Sydney’s shoulder lightly. “That was a low blow. Continue with your explanation.”

“Thank you. As you know, Sark helped me through my time at the Covenant. He’s been helping me through the regaining of my memories these past few weeks. It’s been hard. I’ve been grateful that he was here.”

“I thought Jack and I had gone over this with you.”

“You can’t forbid me from seeing him. He hasn’t done anything to hurt the CIA in months.”

Dixon shook his head. “Are you hearing the words that are coming out of your mouth? He hasn’t hurt us in months? This is the man who’s supporting you?”

Sydney rolled her eyes. “Let me rephrase that, then. He hasn’t hurt the CIA since he regained his memories of what happened during the two years it turns out we were both missing. Something happened in our time together with the Covenant. I’m still not sure what that is, but he’s not the same, Dixon.”

“A man just can’t change like that.”

“Men have before.”

“Point taken. So, you’re really going to continue this relationship with him?”

“At this point, yes, I am. For as long as he’ll have me, I’ll have him. He’s exactly what I need in my life right now.”

Dixon sat down and put his head in his hands. “I never thought you’d say that, Sydney.”

“I can’t change what I feel. I just hope that you can be understanding about it and give me a little leeway.”

“I’ll give you as much as you need.” He looked up at her. “As long as it doesn’t hurt my agency or you. I care about you. I don’t want Sark to end up hurting you.”

“If he will, I’ll get over there. I know that he would never harm me in any permanent way.” She smirked at him. “And I’ve learned how to deal with heartbreak. It seems to be my forte these days.”

Dixon let out a chuckle. “Have you explained this all to Weiss yet?”

“No, I was saving him for last. He’ll be the most hurt but also the most forgiving I think.”

“I’ve already forgiven you,” Weiss said from the doorway.

“When did you get here?” she said, turning in his direction.

“Only in the last few seconds. Your new man and I were having a conversation in the hallway before.”

“Oh god. You didn’t do any damage to the hospital, did you?”

“Believe it or not. We didn’t come to blows.” Weiss gave her a small smile. “That man really cares about you, doesn’t he, Syd?”

“Yeah, I really think he does.” Sydney hesitated for a second but then went into Weiss’s outstretched arms. “Thank you for making this easy on me, Eric.”

“You’re my friend. If you’re going through tough times, I want you to be able to come to me. And something tells me tough times are ahead again.”

“Tough times haven’t ended for me in years.” Sydney sighed and backed up from Weiss’s arms. “Now if you excuse me, I would like to get back to Vaughn’s side.”

“Wait,” Eric said before she could leave.

“Yes?”

“I just want you to know that just because I’m letting you try this whole crazy relationship, it doesn’t mean I’m still not way of it. I’m going to be watching him like a hawk.”

Sydney smiled at him and launched herself into his arms. “I wouldn’t think anything less of you, Eric. Thank you for watching out with me.” Sighing, she stepped back. “And now I have to go.”

Dixon nodded his understanding, and she walked back into the hallway where Sark was waiting for her. “I’m going to go sit by Vaughn’s side for a while.”

“You want me to go, don’t you?”

“Yes and no. I wish you could stay, but we are in a CIA hospital. They’ll only turn their heads for so long before they send a SWAT team in to apprehend you.”

“Good point.” He gave her a quick kiss on the lips before pulling back to look at her seriously. “If you need me, call. I’ll come back, no matter how big a SWAT team they send after me. If you need me, I’m here.”

“Thanks.” She gave him one last smile before walking back down the hallway to Vaughn’s room. She still had a lot of thinking to do if she was going to figure out what had happened to him.

That was sooo good! Well... apart from Vaughn being hurt :blush:

That was such a feel good chapter!

At least Syd has everything out in the open... and thats what matters right?

Sigh... why cant i have Julian?! He is so sweet to Syd! :throb:

Great update, thanks for the PM! :smiley:

Chapter Twenty-Three

Three days later, there was still no improvement in Vaughn and she was starting to get more scared by the minute. She still hadn‘t been able to make the connection between reoccurring headaches and a potentially permanent coma. It didn‘t add up. Sighing, she wiped her eyes, trying to make the fifth cup of coffee of the day kick in. She hadn’t slept for more than four hours since she found out Vaughn was in the hospital.

“Tired?” Sark said as they walked down the hall.

“Exhausted. Thanks for coming with me today.”

“It looked like you needed the extra support.”

Pausing a second to try to put a genuine smile on her face, she pushed the door open and entered the hospital room. “Vaughn?” she said softly seeing the man in question sitting up on his bed and talking with Dixon.

“He woke up a few minutes ago, Syd,” Weiss explained from where he was leaning on the wall. “He’s been asking for you.”

Sark saw her balance waver slightly and slipped his hand into hers while supporting her against his body. He nudged her slightly to get her past the threshold of the door and whispered, “He just wants to talk with you, love. Probably wants to make sure you’re okay just as much as you want to make sure he‘s okay.”

She gave him a faint smile before letting go to walk over to the hospital bed. “Hi.”

“Hey, Syd.”

“How are you feeling?”

“Like someone just ran me over with a car repeatedly. But other than that, I’m just fine.”

“Do you know what happened?”

“No.”

“That makes two of us,” she said with a faint smile. “I’m sorry if this was because of me.”

“We don’t know for sure that it was.”

“Come on.” She gave him a skeptical look. Vaughn’s eyes darted away from her to where Sark stood out of the way in the corner of the room. “I needed him here with me today,” she explained. “You were really starting to scare me.”

Vaughn looked back at her. “It’s all right, Syd. I understand why he‘s here. I don’t like it, but I understand.”

She sat down lightly on the side of his bed and grasped his hand. Weiss signaled to Dixon, and they left the room followed by Sark. She leaned back so that she was reclining next to Vaughn. “We’re going to be okay, aren’t we?”

“I think so,” he said with a smile. “Do you want to hear my off the wall theory on what happened?”

“Just jump back into it, why don‘t you?” She smiled and squeezed his hand. “But then I’m always up for a theory, and you were always good at coming up with the crazy ones. Let’s hear it.”

“I think it was Lauren.”

“You think you’re dead ex-wife did this?” She dropped his hand and felt his forehead. “Are you sure you’re still not in the coma and I’m just dreaming this all up, safely tucked away in my bed?”

“They never recovered the body,” he reminded her, ignoring the sarcasm. “I think Lauren was pissed off at you and hooked up with someone who was equally interesting in hurting you.”

“The Covenant.”

“Exactly. I think the two of them wanted to keep you distracted because they’re planning on doing something big that they don’t want you to be aware of.”

“Good thing you’re tough and bounce back really quickly.”

“That’s one thing I learned from you.”

“Good thing you did or we might have been running around for years with our head in the clouds. Who would have though it was the dead ex-wife?”

He shot her a look.

“Why would they erase your memories, though? I don‘t understand how they would think that to be effective.”

“I don’t either,” Vaughn admitted. “But you and I are going to figure it out.”

She shook her head emphatically. “Oh no we’re not, Michael. You’re going to stay in that hospital bed until the doctors clear you. And then you’re going to take it easy until we understand the full extent of your memory loss.”

“I can’t just lay here and let you do all the work.”

“But that’s normal protocol for us,” she teased. When he shot her a mean look, she laughed. “Come on. I’ll give you the fact that you’ve gotten the most severe injuries what with the stabbings and shootings and terminal diseases. But I get into a fight on every, single mission I go on. My life is threatened a hell of a lot more than yours is.”

“All right. I should know better than to try to argue with you, Syd.” He looked around the room. “So, if I can’t get out of bed and help, where are you going to go from here?”

“I don’t know. I’ll come up with something, though. It seems like there’s always someone I can rely on to come up with some harebrain plan to put my life into danger.”

“You’re good at fighting and kicking ass. The rest of us are good at finding situations to allow you to do that.”

She rolled her eyes as she slipped off his hospital bed. “I’m going to go and let Weiss know it’s his turn to comfort you in his arms. He’s been waiting for quite a while.”

“Oh god. Can’t we just leave him out in the hall? It’ll help me recover so much faster if I don’t have to deal with his stupid jokes.”

Laughing, she shook her head. “Oh, now he is definitely coming in here. He’ll keep you on your toes, and the longer you have to deal with him, the more determined you’ll be to go back to normal life.” She gave him one last smile before stepping out into the hall. “He wants to talk with you, Eric.”

Weiss gave her a big smile and stepped past her into the room. She chuckled when she heard Vaughn groan loudly. Dixon was smiling, too. “He didn’t really ask to see Weiss, did he?”

“Nope. But no matter how much he complains, it’s going to help me get better faster. Eric was great for my morale when I returned from my missing two years.”

Dixon nodded. He remembered the pain she had gone through. “I’m going to talk with the doctors and see how long it is before Vaughn is out of the hospital and on active duty. You just relax and take the rest of the day off, Sydney.”

She watched Dixon until he had disappeared around the corner before turning to look at the man standing quietly out of the way. “So, you stuck around?”

“Figured you might want to grab a bite to eat now that your worries have been alleviated. I kind of wanted to be the one you grab it with.”

Smiling, she slipped her hand into his. “I have a hankering for a greasy cheeseburger.”

“Americans,” Sark grumbled under his breath.

They walked hand in hand out to his trendy sports car of the week. He opened the passenger door for her, and she thanked him. By the time he shifted the car into reverse, the slight tension was apparent.

“You want to know what Vaughn said to me,” she stated, not turning to look at him.

“Yes, I would. But I’m not going to force you to tell me.”

“No, you’re just going to pout until I do.”

“Give me an hour or two, and I’ll be done, I swear.”

She grinned at him. “No, I think I’ll just tell you. He thinks that your old girlfriend is behind this.”

“Anna Espinosa?”

Sydney’s brow furrowed. “I didn’t know you dated her.”

“Once or twice a long time ago. It didn’t work out.”

“Good to know. Although your relationship with a K-Directorate agent has nothing to do with Vaughn being hurt.”

“Was it Allison?” he asked.

“No. The other one.”

“Your mother?”

“Now you’re just being an ass.”

“No, I’m keeping the mood light.” The corner of his mouth perked up in a slight smile. “So, tell me how Michael Vaughn thinks his dead wife can be behind this.”

“First off, he doesn’t think she really died. She must have some how survived the half dozen or so gun shots he pumped into her. Vaughn thinks once she was mobile, she hooked up with someone who hated me as an act of revenge. She wanted to hurt him because of our “betrayal” of her.”

“That’s a pretty fairytale you two cooked up together.”

“You don’t think it’s possible after everything that’s happened to me already?”

“Oh, it’s possible. I just don’t think that it’s very likely. I don’t think Lauren has anything to do with what happened to your old lover.”

“I keep telling you to stop calling him my old lover.”

“But it makes you squirm.”

“And I look so cute when I squirm. I know.” She crossed her arms in front of herself. “So, what’s your theory then?”

“I think that it something’s I’ve done.”

“Something you’ve done has caused people to mess with Vaughn’s head? Now, that makes no sense.”

He pulled up into the parking lot of the small family restaurant that was down the street from the hospital. “No, I think that what happened to Vaughn was done to hurt you. I think I had something to do with the decision to hurt you.”

“So, you think you’re still trying to kill me just like you were three years ago?”

He put his arm around her shoulder as they began to walk towards the front door. “Not consciously.”

“Unconsciously, then.”

“I think I might have set up a chain of events that would have kept me from having to do the actual killing. I’m afraid that that chain was never eliminated because the memory wipe I did on both of us.”

Sydney slid into the booth in the back corner of the restaurant. “That does make sense.” She held out a menu for him.

“Thanks. You know, there’s really nothing we can do to find out for sure right now.”

“I know.”

“So, let’s just try to enjoy a meal in peace without frying our brains with these endless questions and scenarios.”

She nodded in agreement. There was a lot to think about and plan, but right now, she just wanted to enjoy the normal scene she seemed to be a part of, eating greasy cheeseburgers with the man she loved and planned on marrying.

Oof!

That was kinda a risky chapter... the tension was so... high...

So Laurens back in the picture... how interesting. I hope that cow really is dead though. Hmm.

“Good thing you did or we might have been running around for years with our head in the clouds. Who would have though it was the dead ex-wife?”

😆

Good chapter, thanks for the PM! ^_^

Back