Have You Ever...

A/N: I've already got this story up at SD-1.net, but my beta and I are working on a repost of it. She didn't come into my life until around chapter 28, and there's 32. So, needless to say, this fic needed some work in the beginning.

As I get the newly updated chapters I'll put them up here. If you're all impatient and you want to read ahead, you'll have to go to SD-1 where there's both an R/NC-17 version and a PG-13 version.

Have You Ever…

Summary: 4 x 13 --> 4 x 22 spoilers. This was written after 4 x 13 (Tuesday) and continued as we watched season 4 unfold, so a lot of spoilers through the season.

Rating: PG-13 --> NC-17 I'll try to post the rating of each chapter as I put them up.

Chapter 1: Have You Ever… (PG-13 - R)

“Hey…let’s play a game.” Weiss suggested after an extended period of silence. The Notebook had ended several minutes ago, the credits still rolling though the TV had long since been set to mute.

“Sure.” Syd smiled back and, though it wasn’t her usual full-dimpled flash, she complied, resting against Vaughn’s solid chest. Ever since their dance at the train station, he’d maintained some form of contact. He held her hand the entire drive back, set it against her knee during the debrief, even kept it a firm presence on the small of her back as they talked to various people around the office - Weiss and Nadia being the two they opted to spend the rest of their evening with.

“What kind of game?” Nadia asked, leaning back against Weiss’ strong arm that he’d managed to sneak around her shoulders half way through the movie. Though, to his embarrassment, at the rounds of laughter that followed his patented yawn-stretch-hold move, he kept it there saying, “I worked for it and didn’t get smacked, so it was win-win.”

“The ‘Have You Ever’ game.”

Vaughn groaned, closing his eyes and tipping forward until his forehead was resting against Sydney’s soft shoulder.

“What’s wrong, Mike?” Eric wiggled his eyebrows toward his friend, hoping to rouse the party a bit.

“Eric, I think we’ve played this game into oblivion. I thought we’d shot it to put it out of its misery.”

“Nope. Come on, it’s the best way to get dirt on people. And there are two people here, young women I might add, that I don’t believe we know enough about.”

“Wait…how do you play the game?” Nadia questioned, intrigued, a half smile on her face.

“Someone asks the question, ‘Have you ever…’ then finishes it with a question of their choosing. If no, the person passes. If yes, however, said person must reveal all of their secrets in the form of a very embarrassing story.” Weiss finished as he saw the nods of approval from Sydney and Nadia, only seeing Vaughn shake his head.

“Three against one, buddy; better luck next time.”

“Fine. If I’m forced to play, I get to ask the first question. And believe me, it will be mean. Have you ever…caught your superior’s car on fire while driving it illegally through an obstacle course full of live land mines…don’t give me that face, Weiss…while refusing to read the map for directions?”

“Honestly, I’d be surprised if anyone could ever say yes to that.” Syd gasped, looking over at Weiss with a newfound respect.

“Well, I can. Yes, I did. But, I have to say that it was a dare, and Vaughn started giving me the directions.”

“You’re such a liar! I started yelling at you to turn around before you killed us.”

“Well…whatever. The car’s back end hit a mine and blew the axel in half, so Mike and I bailed out. All of a sudden, BOOM! The car is 15 ft in the air, and crashes into the top of a very sturdy tree, completely engulfed in flames. So yes, to answer your question…I have done that… you ass. My turn.”

His brow furrowed in deep thought as he stroked at the stubble appearing on his chin.

“Have you ever…owned Superman, or any hero or heroine, underwear?”

“Eric…” Sydney groaned as Weiss turned to Nadia with a devilish smile.

“Well, hate to put a damper on the party but no, sorry. Underwear is overrated,” she explained, seeing Weiss’ eyes grow as he gaped like a fish before turning to look at the couple across the room.

“Absolutely. Spiderman all the way,” Vaughn answered with a laugh, feeling Sydney chuckle against his chest, thankful for the constant pressure serving as a reminder that she was back, that she was okay.

“Syd?”

“Of course. Who didn’t? Sleeping Beauty.”

“My turn.” Vaughn laughed as he pondered a question. “Have You Ever…burned an extremely important meal for any major holiday?”

“Lame question, man…” Eric laughed, reaching over and taking a swig of his beer before settling back against the comfy couch. “I try not to cook…it’s all about parents. That’s why we keep them around, to serve un-burned food.”

“Well, in Argentina we always had one huge celebration at the end of the year. Since none of us really knew when our birthdays were, we all celebrated together. One year, I pleaded and pleaded to make the cake, and finally was allowed to. Of course, I forgot all about it when a game of tag started outside. I ran back inside to hear the caretaker yelling at the top of her lungs and see flames bursting from the oven. Needless to say, we didn’t have cake that year.” She laughed, though some of the pain was still evident in her eyes, it was muted against the happiness from being around the only true family she’d managed to find.

Sydney became quiet, a sad yet reminiscent smile gracing her features. “About…a few months into being a double agent inside SD-6, I’d had a mission on Thanksgiving. Of course I totally forgot all about it, and Vaughn reminded me on one of our meets in the warehouse. I rushed home to see smoke pouring from the windows, and I made my way into the house as Francie came running out to open the rest of the apartment up. She’d completely fricasseed the turkey, though it was still edible, but I always felt kinda guilty that I hadn’t been there to help. The turkey was always my job…” she sighed, her eyes far-away until the touch of Vaughn’s lips to her temple brought her out of her reverie. She smiled lightly in return, seeing Nadia pipe up.

“My turn. Last one, because we all have work tomorrow and I need sleep. Have You Ever…walked in on something…well, indecent we shall say, in a bathroom or bedroom?”

“Getting dirty, are we?” Eric grinned as Nadia smacked his arm playfully, noticing Sydney’s smile falter as she put on a slight smiling front.

“Yes…yes, I have.”

“Care to elaborate?” Nadia asked lightly, though seeing the change in Sydney’s demeanor, “Or not… you don’t have to.”

“Nah, come on. It can’t be that bad…”

“Danny…” The one word served as a brick wall to Weiss.

“I’m sorry, Syd, I completely forgot…” Nadia tried to apologize, though the other brunette shook her head, a small smile playing at her lips.

“Don’t, I’m sorry. I’m not exactly in a playful mood; it’s been a long couple days.”

“Look, why don’t we let ourselves out? Nadi and I will hang out for a little longer at my place, and I’ll have her home at a reasonable hour,” Eric suggested as he stood up and pulled her up with him.

They wouldn’t take no for an answer as they quietly walked out of the apartment, the door a faint click echoing off of the walls surrounding the remaining couple.

“Hey…you okay?” Vaughn asked quietly, seeing the distant look on her face.

“Yeah…I’ll be fine.”

“That’s not what I asked.”

“Vaughn….have,” she paused, looking down at their joined hands across her lap. “Have you ever felt what it’s like to take your last breath? To see the light go out and everything get hazy?” She looked up at him with wounded eyes, a single tear spilling across her flushed cheek as he shook his head slowly.

“No…no, baby, I haven’t. But I know what it was like hearing you take it. Your phone was cutting in and out, and the only bits and pieces that were coming through were staggered breaths…and…sobs. Have you ever wanted to hold someone so much that you cradled the phone like a lifeline?”

“Yes…” she sobbed, twisting against him as he cupped her face in his palms, the pads of each thumb rubbing away the tears streaming from her red-rimmed eyes. He leaned forward, brushing his lips across hers like a whisper before deepening his actions. His mouth slid over her own as his tongue traced the line of her lower lip.

Her fingers curled in his hair, clinging to him as he kissed her and begging him to go farther. But he seemed to be in control of the situation as he pulled her back, keeping his hands firmly on her cheeks and continuing to assault her mouth. Finally, his tongue pushed past her lips and she met him eagerly, tasting the unique quality that was Vaughn mixed with the red wine he had been casually drinking that evening. His taste and scent riddled her senses as the need for oxygen became overbearing. They broke apart slowly, breaths mingling between them as she opened her eyes to see his green orbs watching her with an intense desire and love filled gaze.

No words were spoken as he pushed her up and stood, pulling her back against him as he walked them slowly toward the bedroom. Kicking the door closed behind him, his hands moved from the center of her back in opposite directions. One undid the pins holding her hair away from her head and dove into the chestnut tresses as the other pulled her flush against his body by the small of her back, fingers kneading gently in circles.

A small sigh mixed with a moan squeezed from her lungs as she pushed her face into his throat, her own arms wrapping around his neck as he held her firmly against his taut body. She placed small kisses against the column of his neck as his hands continued their gentle attack to the stiff muscles of her back and neck.

She broke some of his resolve as her lips traveled down the side of his throat to his collarbone, nibbling gently as she heard the groan deep in his chest. His hand found the hem of her shirt and snuck underneath, beginning to caress up her soft skin, expecting to reach the clasp of her bra. A smile formed and his eyes danced as he found none and both hands removed the shirt, tossing it over his head. Her delicate fingers found the buttons of his own, making quick work of them as his deft hands moved to the drawstring trousers set low on her hips.

She traced the prominent muscles of his chest, fingernails scraping lightly as his mouth finally joined her own, his arms unwrapping her to shed the shirt entirely.

“We should move this to the bed…you know what happened last time we tried to remove pants while being lip-locked.” His voice was lower, a huskiness to it as he sucked at the pulse point of her neck, feeling and hearing her throaty laugh.

“That would be an interesting ‘have you ever’ question…”

~

A/N: I'll post chapter two later on tonight.

-Jean ^_^

Back