Head Over Heels

Title – Head Over Heels
Final Word Count – 30,375
Total Number of Chapters – Twenty-Two & Finished
Rating – PG13, for language and sexual content :P
Disclaimer – Don’t own a thing… except Maybe Rachel, and Nathan ;)
Spoilers – None, this is an AU piece of fiction.
Note – Updates will be on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday – as long as my schedule permits… I’m going to try my hardest to be able to update on a regular basis.
Authors note – Thank you to my awesomely lovely Beta, Katy.

Head Over Heels

Chapter One

Various tones of yellow were bouncing off the walls in Rachel Vaughn’s bedroom, while the two girls flipped through magazines slowly. Sydney was strewn across the bed facing the door, while Rachel sat with her back against the headboard, trying to read and paint her nails a new shade of ‘cherry red’.

“This weekend went by way too fast,” Rachel complained, her newly painted nails flashing as her hand turned the page.

“They always do,” Sydney agreed, her head bobbing up and down.

“Only a few more weeks left before summer break,” Rachel reminded, the grin on her face growing.

Sydney looked up at her best friend, meeting a familiar pair of green eyes. Rachel’s blonde hair fell loosely over her shoulders, and her high cheekbones accentuated her mouth. She hasn’t changed much over the years, Sydney decided with a smile playing on her lips. Still the Rachel Vaughn I know and love.

“We’re going to be seniors next year, Rach. Can you believe it?” Sydney sat up on the pale comforter, her legs crossing Indian style. “Seniors,” she repeated.

“Part of me doesn’t want to start our senior year… I mean, it’ll be our last year at Atkinsin, and so much has happened there.” Rachel sighed, her eyes rolling up towards the ceiling and then down to her best friend. She began giggling. “Like when you drove your dad’s car into that ‘no parking’ sign because you didn’t want to walk in your new shoes.”

“Shut up!” Sydney screeched, throwing the magazine she was reading at Rachel’s chest. “That was once!”

“I’m never letting you live it down. You almost put us both in the hospital!” she replied, crossing her arms in a huff.

Rolling her eyes slowly, Sydney laughed at her friend’s exaggeration. “At least I didn’t break the door to the principal’s office,” she snickered.

“So what if I skipped fourth period English… four times in a row. That was no reason to suspend me for a day,” Rachel said bitterly. “The class was boring as hell!”

“Then, it wasn’t your fault – your arm just got a little too ‘friendly’ when slamming the door?” Sydney raised an eyebrow accusingly.

“Not my problem the wood wasn’t sturdy enough to deal with my mild pent up anger.” She made a face; one eyebrow lifting, her mouth twitching to the side. “The school shouldn’t be so cheap.”

“You’re right,” Sydney agreed, “but they spent so much sending the seniors on their class trip this year, that we won’t have to worry about it once their gone. We’ll be getting all the money.” She grinned.

“Speaking of seniors…” Rachel sighed. “I’m going to miss having Michael there. You know, the whole ‘touch-my-little-sister-and-die’ thing, was kind of cute.”

“What? You hated that!”

“I’m just going to miss it, that’s all,” she explained.

The girls talked for a while more, before the bathroom door down the hall opened and the sound of heavy footsteps could be heard on the hard wood floor. It wasn’t much longer before Michael appeared in the doorway of his sister’s bedroom, sporting nothing but a dark green towel wrapped around his waist.

He looked down at Sydney’s form on the bed, a boyish smile covering his face. Beads of water streamed down his forehead from not being completely dry after the shower, and the whole time he spoke Michael held Sydney’s eyes with his own.

“Rach, have you seen my hockey shirt? I think you borrowed it last week.” Finally he turned his head, looking at his sister’s blush. “Great, what’d you do to it?”

Shyly, she pointed to the canvas across the room where her latest artwork was beginning to come alive. “I, might have used it to… bring the color in the trees out,” she explained.

Michael’s eyes narrowed. “You painted on my shirt?”

“No.” Rachel slowly shook her head. “I was wearing it, because I didn’t want to get paint on any of mine, and I needed to smudge the tree line… and, I just used the corner of it, and-”

“Rach, that was my favorite shirt!” he complained, running a hand sloppily through his wet hair. “What am I going to wear now, huh?”

“That white one with the green Hawaiian thing always looks good on you,” Sydney finally piped up, taking her stare from his abdomen where she’d fixed it moments before, and meeting his emerald colored eyes.

Grinning down at her, Michael winked. “Thanks, Syd.”

Thanking her once more, and shooting a glare at Rachel, Michael walked back off down the hall to his own room. At the sound of his door shutting, Sydney fell back on the bed and let out a heavy sigh.

“That’s one sight that I will never get tired of seeing.”

Rachel rolled her eyes, making a gagging noise. “That is my brother, you know. Can we refrain from fantasizing about him?”

“Well, if it’s a memory, it’s not technically a fantasy. More of a hallucination, right?” Sydney grinned while laughing, knowing that the subject was creeping Rachel out.

Rachel cringed. “How many times do I have to tell you? What you and my brother do – I do not want to hear about! Ever!”

Sydney laughed more. “Oh, come on… I bet you’re just dying to know -”

“Actually, I am dying to know, when and why you two broke it off this time.” She shot her best friend a glare, only to have Sydney return the gesture. “I’m getting sick of it, you know.”

Shrugging her shoulders lightly Sydney ran a hand through her long brown hair, letting it fall over the side of the bed. “We just needed a break, Rach.”

Rachel kicked her leg lightly, “You say that every time.”

“Hey, you’re the one that doesn’t want any of the details,” Sydney reminded her sharply, now sitting up and searching for her earlier discarded magazine.

“This is different, and you know it.” Rachel shot back, her eyes narrowing. “The two of you are so… so, childish.”

“Childish?” Sydney questioned, crossing her arms defensively. “What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

Rolling her eyes, Rachel sighed heavily. “You know what it means, Syd. We have this conversation every freaking time the two of you ‘break up’.”

Sydney simply ‘hurumphed’ at the familiar lecture.

“You’re always so hot and cold with each other. One day you get caught on the couch by my dad, and the next you won’t even look at him in the hallway. It’s annoying, especially when I don’t even know which days I’m supposed to ignore him, and which I’m not!”

Laughing slightly, Sydney loosened up. “You never ignore him anyway.”

“It’s kind of hard to keep up with the two of you,” Rachel reiterated sarcastically. “I just wish you’d make up your God-damned minds.”

“It’s not that easy, Rach,” Sydney said calmly, refusing to meet her friend's eyes.

She shook her head lightly, “I get that you aren’t like me and Nathan, but you’re my best friend and he’s my brother, and you two are adorable together… I don’t see why it’s so hard.”

“You and Nathan have been together since the middle of sophomore year,” Sydney rationalized. “The two of you are cut out for the long-term thing. Michael and I, on the other hand… aren’t. Honestly, have you ever seen me keep a boyfriend for more than two months?”

Rachel smirked, brushing a piece of blonde hair behind her ear. “I get that you don’t want anything exclusive… and neither does he, but -”

“No ‘buts’,” Sydney stopped her. “I think we’re done for good this time.”

Shooting her a skeptical glance, Rachel stood and walked across the room to put up her nail polish. “That’s what you said the last three times.”

“This is different though, we’ve finally grown too far apart.”

Rachel shook her head at her best friend. “You said that, too.”

Sydney was about to speak, but Rachel held up a finger to stop her. “I’m not about to tell either of you how to live your life, but I’m not going to be able to keep myself from saying ‘I told you so’ the second you call me giggling your ass off about how much of a charmer that brother of mine is.”

“But-”

Narrowing her eyes, Rachel implied she wasn’t done and Sydney shut her mouth. “And I most certainly am not going to come up with a cover story for the two of you after you ‘make up’ and walk your pretty little butt down the stairs in nothing but boxers and one of his over sized tee-shirts to make yourself breakfast and get caught by my parents. That was hell last time, especially when I got lectured for not telling them you were staying.”

“Rach…” Sydney sighed, uncrossing her arms, and watched as her best friend paced the carpeted floor of her room.

“I don’t care if you want to frack up your own lives, but don’t you dare drag me into this again. I hate being the go between, and both of you know it! The day you ask me to deliver another one of those gorram ‘ex boxes’, where you put all the felgercarb that’s his in it, I’m dumping you, Sydney Bristow. But don’t worry, it goes likewise. If I have to bring you back one of your articles of clothing, because he found it somewhere in that pigsty that he calls a room, I won’t call him family anymore.”

Rachel finally shut up, her mouth clamped closed and her pacing stopped. The room was an eerie quiet and all Sydney could hear was their breathing, mixing with the music Michael was blasting down the hall.

“Don’t you think you’re being a little… overdramatic?” Sydney questioned shyly, almost afraid of the answer she was going to receive, and knowing how hard Rachel’s eyes were boring into her.

She slammed down into her computer chair in a huff. “You try watching your best friend and your brother break up about half a dozen times in less than two months, and then you tell me if I’m ‘overreacting’.”

So... That be the first chapter *nods*
Really, really hope you guys like it!
Please let me know if you'd like a PM :smiley:
*_Ash

--EDIT--

For those of you that join the story late - there's a link at the end of every chapter to the next one that's posted.

Chapter Two

*pretends Katy's post is inbisible*

JUJU GOT FIRST!!

<_<

Fiiiiiiine... JuJu got second :rolleyes:

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!! :woot:

PEE-EMMY LIST! (y)

love JuJu :harp:

They make up and break up...over and over. Pretty soon, I'm betting there's going to be third party involved in this, and it won't be Rachel.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

Ash,

You MUST pm me when you update. I dont' think I've seen many fics that had Michael and Sydney not together forever. Plus, this one is good because it's yours :P

Thanks for the heads up with that PM.

:D

~Anja

“Speaking of seniors…” Rachel sighed. “I’m going to miss having Michael there. You know, the whole ‘touch-my-little-sister-and-die’ thing, was kind of cute.”
it is kinda cute ^_^

He looked down at Sydney’s form on the bed, a boyish smile covering his face. Beads of water streamed down his forehead from not being completely dry after the shower, and the whole time he spoke Michael held Sydney’s eyes with his own.
not a bad sight to wake up to... even though no one was sleepng... or anything remotely close to that. hey! i'm just callin' 'em like i see 'em.

“Actually, I am dying to know, when and why you two broke it off this time.” She shot her best friend a glare, only to have Sydney return the gesture. “I’m getting sick of it, you know.”
on-and-off-ers. i like it.

I would like a Pm to this please. I'm really curious to know what is going on, and why S/V are being stupid, lol :P . So keep it up, lol.

~Andrea :angelic:

I luved it plz pm me when u update im liken it i luv the whole on and off thing between them plz pm me when u update and plz add me to ur pm list!!!

The only thing I can say about this fic is "WOW". I sure hope that Sydney and Vaughn get back together cuz they are meant to be together. Can I please get a pm when you update? Thanks!! (y)

Back