Hello fellow writers

robert eggleton

Lacy Dawn Adventures
I'll stop by every now and then to try to keep up with what is going on in the world. All members just have to be great people here as everyone seems so cool. Danny Boyd, filmmaker, is reading my first novel, Rarity from the Hollow. If he likes it, I hope to be very busy. If not, at least it was published and I'll keep trying. Good luck to everyone.

Robert, welcome to our community! :smiley:

Hopefully good things come of being able to get the attention of Boyd with your work! That is one of the biggest hurdles for any writer. While writing were you thinking of possible film adaption or did it come as a surprise?

Prior to writing fiction, with the exception of a few poems that were published over the years, I wrote nonfiction extensively: service delivery models for children's programs, a collection of group therapy exercises for teens, nationally presented research on youth input on the chaos of multiple placements in foster care (moving children from one placement to the next), and several dozen investigative reports on children's services and institutions published by the WV Supreme Court.

So, in contemplation of writing fiction, my lifelong dream since winning the 8th grade creative writing contest in 1964, I bought a book. The book's advice, "show don't tell" became so ingrained that I write mostly using dialogue. Therefore, to answer your question, yes I felt that Rarity from the Hollow would be an easy adaptation to film. But, never in my wildest dreams did I expect it to be reviewed for consideration. Frankly, I just felt lucky that it was published.

Last edited:
Well, sad, but Boyd concluded that my work was too controversial with child abuse and budding sexuality of a teen. It seems that TV shows like South Park have more flexibility than other modes of literature. Rarity from the Hollow did have some other graphic scenes, like domestic violence, but he loved it until the sexual references (only). It seems like nobody wants to acknowledge that kids can be romantically attracted to other kids. It's like those interests only arrive with adulthood.

Since I'm a therapist in a community mental health center, I listen and acknowledge such needs daily. Why won't others? Maybe the general public is afraid that such acknowledgement will increase the teenage pregnancy rate. Of course, I don't want kids to birth kids, but to live in ignorance within the film industry is absurd. Furthermore, this novel advises kids not to have sex until after marriage and to wait until after college graduation before trying pot!

I agree. Society is the grand delusion. It's amazing how many people are controlled by it. Television, Movies and even the choices of what news is allowed controls peoples opinions, establishes their belief systems and drives their purchases. Reality is harsh and difficult. People in society can't handle reality and create taboos to hide it.
Religion picks up where society fades. It dominates people and controls them out of fear and empty promises. Even religions that teach love create delusions that people use to control others.
This mindset is further personalized by families that are raised by parents that have been deluded. The parents pass their delusions to their children and their children.
I know all this because I have been seeking reality in its basic form. Stripping away all the delusions I was taught were reality. Looking back on my life reveals many instances I made decisions based on delusions created by society because I knew no better and never even thought to look deeper into the reasoning. It was easier to just go with the flow.
Your work was rejected because it attempts to show the truth. It's not that people don't want to know the truth, its more like the Powers That Be don't want people to have the idea that there might be a truth that is not what they say it is.

Thanks, but truth is often, like love, in the eye of the beholder. The good and evil within Rarity from the Hollow can be challenged. For example, more children are resilent to :maltreatment" than those which are adversely afflicted, some for their entire lives. Trauma is subjective. For example, I have a young woman who is convinced that she was traumatized by traditional spanking that would not rise to an illegal action by a parent, and lots of others who report no trauma by corporeal punishment. The search for truth is not as easy as blaming the powers that be for obscurity.

Truth and reality are not the same thing. 'Murder is bad' is a truth but there is no murder in reality. 'Teen preganacy is bad' is a truth but in reality the human animal can spawn when at puberty. Society and intelligence reinforces the truth in our culture but other cultures around the world do not have the same truth. All the truths about it does not change the reality. Searching for truth is only effective if you limit yourself to your culture's truths. Searching for reality gives insight to a baseline allowing you to form your own truths. Knowing the reality of something helps you understand the cultural delusions you choose to accept. I accept that murder is bad, I accept that teen preganacy is bad and I accept other things lnowing they are concepts not entirely in reality. Morality is not a reality, it is a concept invented by mankind to provide a social structure to give is concepts like society. Morality is a society truth that has a fluctuating severity on a personal interpetation.

"RARITY FROM THE HOLLOW is one of those strange and exciting bits of literature that captures you with its uniqueness and then lingers on your mind, reasserting itself from time to time to remind you that your reality may not be everyone else's. A rich and original work, full of aspects and images that are certain to make it worth recommending to friends you wish to impress. Not for everyone, but for those ready to embrace the offbeat, a welcome surprise." -William F. DeVault, author, LOVE GODS OF A FORGOTTEN RELIGION

Permission to Reprint has been Granted by the Author:

The most enjoyable science fiction novel I have read in several years

Rarity from the Hollow by Robert Eggleton is the most enjoyable science fiction novel I have read in several years. Who could think of an intergalactic handbook for entrepreneurs? Who could turn a tree-hugger into a paranormal event of death-defying significance? Who could create characters so believable, so funny, so astonishingly human (and not)?

Robert Eggleton, that’s who.

I put this book on my IPhone, and it followed me everywhere for several days. Strangers smiled politely at my unexpected laughter in the men’s room toilet stall. They looked away as I emerged, waving the IPhone at them as if it might explain something significant.

Oddly, the novel explains a great deal that has become significant in our society. Rarity from the Hollow is satire at its best and highest level. It is a psychological thriller, true to traits of mankind (and other species). It is an animal rights dissertation (you will laugh when you understand why I write that). It celebrates the vilest insect on earth (make that Universe).

The characters created by Robert Eggleton will bug your brain long after you smoke, uh, read the final page. Thanks for the laughs, the serious thoughts, the absolute wonder of your mind, Mr. Eggleton. A truly magnificent job.

by Temple Emmet Williams Author, former Reader’s Digest Editor
http://warriorpatient.com/blog/2015/05/18/58/
----------------
Purchase links and to post your reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Rarity-Hollow-Robert-Eggleton-ebook/dp/B007JDI508
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rarity-Hollow-Robert-Eggleton-ebook/dp/B007JDI508
Rarity from the Hollow

Lacy Dawn Adventures Home Page (more reviews):
Lacy Dawn Adventures

Thanks everybody. Robert

Back