Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Hello

Discussion in 'Welcome - Introduce Yourself!' started by Mirelly, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Mirelly

Mirelly Mouthy Cow

So I've exhausted the most immediately topics for me to throw my two-pennyworth at and I feel now is the time to introduce myself.

I've used the name Mirelly as online ID for many years. I borrowed the name from the main female character in Larry Niven's World Out of Time.

I'm a fifty something, semi-retired granny who loves reading. I like all main literary genres, even chick-lit, but my abiding passion has always been reserved for quality SF. I also like to dabble in writing, but my ambition is always greater than my staying power. I have started so many novels and have yet to finish one. My latest effort is now 16 months old, and has been stalled mid-chapter at 60,000 word mark since Christmas. I really do want to finish it (as very rough a first draft) because for the first time ever I feel I have a good story to tell.

I also love Pink Floyd, wine and cheese, and movies with Donald Sutherland in them .... :rolleyes:

2. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

Mirelly, welcome!

Thank you for explaining the name as I did not recognize it. With that admission I feel a tinge of shame for not having Niven's work fresh in my mind, something I must fix with my next reading list update (I tend to slack off in the Summer and pick up again in the Fall & Winter).

With a diverse array of reading material what genre do you find yourself writing as an author?

Pink Floyd? Yes! :cool: I'm in for some cheese & crackers but not so sure about the Donald Sutherland movies. :D

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Mouthy Cow

Heh heh Donald is acquired taste ... Kelly's Heroes would have to be one of desert island DVDs. :cool:

I keep trying to write SF. I'm pretty felgercarb at it cos I never get around to finishing. My latest effort is about a fleet of starships heading off to Alpha Centauri to escape the destruction of Earth. Unfortunately I am stuck halfway through ... :o

PS I also love The Big Bang Theory, Red Dwarf, and H2G2. Star Trek (not DS9 or Enterprise :p ), and Stargate ... although I thought Universe was a little "hinky" ... :rolleyes:

4. Starbeast from Planet X

Starbeast from Planet X Benevolent Galaxy Being

Good afternoon Mirelly, nice to meet you.

Mmm cheese. Huh, oh, have fun exploring this site. AND good luck on your book. (y)

5. actionavenue

actionavenue Artist, Cartoonist and Dude

Welcome to the forum!