Help for the Helpless

Tom

An Old Friend
Recovering Pictures, Video's & Documents From an Old Computer

Your Computer died and you lost everything you had including all your pictures!
You still have computer but you have no idea how to save those files?
Here is what has worked for me...

The Hardware
You need to remove the hard drive from the old unit. Desktops and laptops have a hard drive that is used to store your files. Depending upon what crashed dictates what can be saved. If the hard drive failed this won't help you but someone else with real training may still be able to save your files. Note that you will probably pay for those services.

The Hard Drive

Basically this is what a Hard Drive looks like:
to-hdd-ph3200u-series-400.png

That is a typical 3.5" drive
sata_ide.jpg

A typical Laptop drive is usually 2.5"
The SATA is the newer connections and the IDE is the older ones
Your drive will likely be one of these.
The 3.5" drives from desktops usually have similar connections
You will need to know which connections you have
to purchase the enclosure you need.

This particular help topic is not to show you how to use this drive for booting up the OS. Only to help you get the files off it. Yes it is possible (if Compatable) to add this drive to your computer and boot up the OS (If it is still intact). Since I only use old hard drives for storage (Like a USB), This help topic will be about what I have done.

The External Enclosure
You will need to purchase or borrow a drive enclosure or docking station.
These usually connect by USB. Newer ones feature the speed of USB 3.0
but they will work with USB & USB 2.0 but file transfer will be a bit slower.

Here is what some enclosures look like:
sed_install_123.gif

Be sure to get an enclosure that is for the connector on your drive.
IDE or SATA/eSATA
Some of the higher end enclosures may connect to multiple pin configurations.

Here is what a Docking Station looks like:
images

This is the one I currently use as it accepts both laptop & desktop sizes.

There are many styles and types of enclosures and docks
Choose what fits your needs.

Grabbing Your Files
Once you have the Drive in the dock/enclosure and its all hooked up and turned on allow your PC to read it as a storage device. Rt-Clk the drive in My Computer and select explore or open. You will see a list of folders.
One of the folders will be your OS. Explore all the other folders and look for the files you want to save. If the formats of the files are readable on your current OS you should be able to see the pictures, videos and documents themselves.
When you find what you are seeking - Drag those files (or the parent folders) tight to your current desktop.
Don't delete any of the files on the old drive..yet.
Do your malware scan before you drag the files to your new system if you suspect your old computer of an infection. Run malware scans on the files after you move them as a precaution (it never hurts to be safe).
After you have leeched everything from the old drive that you might want, turn off the drive and be sure the newly aquired files are actually on your new system. If So, You can stop right there - You now have your files back.
What I do is reformat the old drive and partition it as needed. I format it to act as a storage device then I move archived files back to it and set the drive on my drive bookcase. A label makes short work of figuring out which drive has what on it.
Its actually pretty simple once you do it.

A Note
Be sure to remove any Pin Bridges from the IDE drive connectors
mSPVK6sUftx47kgUDZmOFeA.jpg

41dD5HKUnkL._SY300_.jpg

I am an amature - I have absolutely no training in computers.
This is what works for me and I have shown this to others for the same results.
I would appreciate anyone having experience, commenting on this and/or offering their own tips.
This topic is for CoolSciFi friends to help other CoolSciFi members
get the most from their computers - Feel free to add other help comments.

Back