Hemlock Grove

SkyGirl5

Cadet
:smiley:

Title: Hemlock Grove
Genre: s/v au
Summary: Sydney Bristow only had one goal for her trip home to Hemlock Grove, a place she has not been in over eight years. Of course, once she arrives back in the small town atmosphere any hope of getting in and getting out quickly is lost and the hope of rekindling an old romance is gained. [15]

Inspired by (kind of) Sweet Home Alabama ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prologue
“You got married?!” exclaimed Amelia Vaughn, shock and horror filling her eyes as they shifted between her son and apparent daughter-in-law before her.

“Isn’t it great?” Michael beamed. He snaked his arms around his wife’s waist and gave her hip a gentle squeeze; she smiled back at him.

“But Sydney is only eighteen years old! And she just graduated high school last week!” Amelia insisted.

“We love each other,” Sydney chimed in with an explanation while giving her new husband a gooey-eyed look. “Besides, I’m still going to Penn in the fall; my plans aren’t changing,” she assured the elder woman. They had it all planned out and were not nearly as rational as Michael’s parents made it seem.

“So you’re going to quit working in the shop?” Michael’s father, Bill, demanded. He was referring to his shop, Vaughn’s Auto Repair, which was the only car-related store within the limits of their small town of Hemlock Grove, Pennsylvania.

“No, of course not. While Sydney’s in Philly, I’m going to keep working and stay here and work on the house,” Michael smiled.

“HOUSE?!” Amelia and Bill asked in unison.

“Yeah, we bought the old Branson property,” Sydney told them. They had just closed the deal that morning, making the down payment using the money from Sydney’s salary from the grocery store, and from Michael’s full time work at the auto repair shop.

“That run down shack?!” Amelia asked, her horror turning to nausea. “You cannot live there! It doesn’t even have any plumbing or electricity!”

“Yes it does, Mom,” Michael groaned at his mother’s melodramatic attitude. “It’s just a little run down. I’ll fix it up, though,” he assured her. Amelia threw her hands up in the air, obviously fed up with their actions, and disappeared from the room. She could not believe her son and his girlfriend of two years were acting so foolish.

“It’s all going to work out fine,” Michael said to his father.

“I hope you’re right, son,” Bill said before walking off in the direction his wife had just disappeared.

“It is going to be fine,” Sydney told him, knowing he would be slightly hurt from his parent’s obvious disproval.

“Yeah,” he said, giving her a half smile and then kissing her. They had a plan and, as long as they stuck by it, everything would be fine.

Chapter 1
“…get ready cats and kittens – we’re flashing back to 1981 with Rick Springfield’s Jesse’s Girl here on-”

Sydney Bristow groaned loudly as she punched the seek button on her car’s radio. She absolutely hated 80’s flashbacks, especially when it came to music (and fashion trends). She had lived through the decade and was in no rush to relive it in any form.

She settled on a station playing soft rock before relaxing back into the seat of her rented BMW. Living and working in New York City she had no use for a car on a day to day basis, so it would have been an utter waste to own one. In fact, the only time she drove was when she went on a business trip and rented a car at her destination. Even that was not all that frequent. That day was no business trip, though; it was her first vacation in years. Then again, vacation was the wrong word. Typically, a person looked forward to a vacation and planned it weeks in advance. Sydney was not exactly looking forward to her trip back to Hemlock Grove after being away for over eight years. She had not planned her trip, either; it was more of a spur of the moment decision to do something that was a long time coming.

Cruising down the tree lined roads of northern Pennsylvania, Sydney was careful to watch her speed. Years earlier, during her reckless youth, she sped along similar narrow roads by her hometown. One time, while fiddling with the radio, she lost control of the vehicle and slammed it into a very large pine tree. Miraculously, she was unharmed, but the car was not so lucky. After an endless verbal lashing from her father, Sydney was scared straight enough to know that going seventy miles per hour on such a road was not a wise decision to make.

As Sydney drove towards her home town, her mind drifted back to the last time she was there. It was Christmas 1998 and as much as she wanted to stay at the University of Pennsylvania over their four week semester break, she knew she had to come home to visit her father. Her mother had died before she was thirteen years old and since she had no siblings her father was the only family she had.

During that month’s worth of time, she rarely left her house, not wanting to inadvertently run into him on the streets. She wasn’t ready to talk to him, not yet, not after what happened. Confrontations were not her strong suit at all. Then again, avoidance was not usually something she did either, but in that particular case avoidance was definitely preferable over some horrible confrontation. Their confrontation would be horrible too; there was no way around that.

After that break was over, though, she never returned. Of course she had seen her father when he came to visit her at school or up in New York City, which he tried to do at least twice a year – once on her birthday and once again at Christmas. They spoke over the phone, too. As for setting foot back in Hemlock Grove, though, she just could not bear it. At first, it was too soon. Then, as time passed, it would have been too awkward, something she just could not bear.

Now, at the age of twenty-eight, she realized she had avoided that confrontation for far too long. At that point, it was just downright pathetic that she was afraid to speak with a man she had known practically her whole life. There was nothing frightening about him (except perhaps when his favorite baseball team was on a particularly painful losing streak), so she needed to get it over with, lest it continue on forever. It was going to be horrible, that she knew, but at least it would be over with and she could move on with her life.

For the most part, Sydney had moved on from her life in Hemlock Grove. She was a successful financial advisor working for one of the foremost financial firms in New York City. She had an apartment in a high rise, wore designer clothing and expensive jewelry. This was a complete one eighty from her life in Hemlock Grove, where ‘designer’ meant the Martha Stewart Collection from K-Mart. Not to mention the fact that a job like a financial advisor would be nowhere within the town limits.

The only thing left tying her to Hemlock Grove was him, and with that visit she was going to sever that tie. Though it made a part of her very sad, it was time to break the bond; there just wasn’t anything left anymore.

When she pulled off the highway onto the road that would take her straight through the middle of Hemlock Grove, butterflies began to fill her stomach. In her mind, she began imagining all the possible reactions he would have when she confronted him. In many of these instances he would yell until his face was red and his brow crinkled beyond repair. Most likely, this was the most accurate of all the scenarios, which was why her trepidation was growing with each traffic light she passed beneath.

Finally, after many hours of driving, she arrived at her destination. She parked her car along the street, not wanting to block the gravel driveway exit point, before taking a deep breath an exiting her car. As she walked up the front path, she found that, not surprisingly, the Vaughn residence had not changed very much over the years. The flowers in the bed surrounding the house had grown significantly, and there was a new rocking chair on the wrap-around porch, but otherwise it was identical; this made her smile inwardly, hoping that the house occupants had remained steady as well.

Her hand trembling ever so slightly, she knocked on the wood frame of the screen front door. Through it, she heard dishes clinking as someone rose from the brunch table to see who was interrupting their mid-morning meal. When Amelia Vaughn appeared in the hallway looking just as Sydney remembered her, Sydney smiled at her and waved ever so slightly.

“My goodness! Sydney that isn’t you is it?!” Amelia asked excitedly.

“It’s me,” Sydney confirmed softly, adjusting the purse strap over her shoulder.

“Oh honey look are you! It’s been so long!” Amelia said. As she pushed open the screen door, it creaked loudly, but it did not faze either of the women as they embraced each other warmly. “My goodness child you are skin and bones! Come inside and have something to eat!”

“Oh I don’t want to impose on your-”

“Nonsense,” Amelia cut her off with a wave of her hand. “You’re coming inside and you’re going to tell us all about your time in New York. Your father told us that you were working up there at some big fancy firm… I can’t remember what it is that you do though…something with numbers…”

“Financial advising,” Sydney informed her.

“Yes that! Oh I don’t know how you do it but I’m just so happy to see you!” Amelia said pulling her into yet another bone-crushing hug. Then, she pulled the younger girl into the house, nearly ripping Sydney’s arm off with her fervor.

Once inside the house, Sydney was overwhelmed with a sense of family, despite her still fluttering nerves. She had spent many, many days in her youth in the family room at the Vaughn residence in which she stood. After her mother’s death, Amelia became sort of a replacement mother in her life. Not keeping in touch with her during her time in the big city was definitely one of the regrets Sydney had.

Looking around the familiar environment, Sydney caught a glimpse back into the kitchen, where there was a distinct six-foot-one-inch figure slinking behind the refrigerator out of view. She would have to deal with him in a moment; there were still more hugs to be given out.

“Sydney we were thinkin’ you were never gonna come back,” Bill Vaughn said as he, too, gave her a hug.

“Well I’m just so busy,” she said as a weak defense. True, she was busy, but after eight years that was not exactly a valid excuse. “This is the first vacation I’ve ever had,” she laughed.

“They’re working you to the bone up there - just as I suspected. You need to come back here and get a more relaxing job – maybe at the bank,” Amelia smiled at her.

“Nice try,” Sydney laughed softly, winking at her. “I do love my job though – a lot. It’s fun and I don’t mind being busy; it’s nice for once.”

“Well we’re glad you’re happy dear,” Amelia smiled at her before giving her hand a gentle squeeze. “Now how about you come and get something to eat? We’ve got pancakes and bacon and hash browns and muffins – all your favorites,” she enticed. Weekly Sunday brunch at the Vaughn’s was a must. When she still lived in Hemlock Grove, Sydney only missed it if she was too ill to even sit up properly; it was absolutely her favorite meal of the week.

“Wow I haven’t eaten like that in a long time,” she laughed softly, knowing that as of recently her lunchtime meal consisted mostly of coffee, coffee, more coffee and sometimes an occasional salad or cup of yogurt. She followed Amelia into the dining area where he was sitting at the table, staring intently at his plate. Only when she sat across from him, did he look up and lock eyes with her.

“Hi,” she said timidly.

“Hi,” he echoed almost silently. Then, he turned his eyes right back down to his lap.

Sydney sighed inwardly as she reached for a plate to pile pancakes onto. Of course her first meal with her husband in nearly nine years was going to be very awkward. She merely hoped it wasn’t going to be painful as well.

woooot !! i cant wait to learn more.. why did they broke up??
what happened?? boohoo im dying to know!! anayway very good start!!
++

Chapter 2
It was obvious to the elder Vaughn’s that their son was absolutely not in a talking mood, not that they could blame him for this. However, so things did not become too painful, they took it upon themselves to keep the conversation flowing along with the food.

“Sydney you only took one piece of bacon – here take more,” Amelia said, holding out the plate to the much thinner girl beside her.

“Oh no, no, one is plenty,” Sydney assured her. Glancing down at her plate she found that thanks to Amelia it was nearly overflowing; that was more food than she ate in a typical day during her New York City life. Then again, the differences in the two cultures showed. In Hemlock Grove, being a dainty eater was frowned upon, which partly explained why Sydney weighted ten to fifteen extra pounds while living there.

“So, Sydney, tell us,” Bill began, “in New York were you one of those people that you hear about leaving the house at eleven pm to start the evening?”

“No, definitely not,” Sydney laughed softly. “I have to be at work at seven-thirty in the morning; by eleven o’clock I’m getting ready for bed.”

“Sounds reasonable, but what time do you get home from work?” Amelia asked.

“Sometimes not until after six,” Sydney told her with a slight cringe.

“My goodness those are long hours!”

“I know,” Sydney laughed softly, “but I’m working towards a promotion right now and, hopefully, if I get it, I won’t have to work as much.”

“I hope you do get it,” Amelia smiled at her.

Bill agreed with a nod. “Boy if you’re that busy it’s lucky you had time to come here!”

“I made time,” Sydney smiled at him.

“So why did you come?” Michael asked, looking up to her. He had otherwise been completely silent, save an occasional squeak from his fork scraping against his plate. Now, it appeared, he had finally gathered his thoughts enough to make his voice heard. “I mean, if you’re so busy and all, why did you come? Because obviously you are busy. So busy in fact that you couldn’t even pick up a phone in eight years. Wow, that is busy,” he said, staring her down. Though his tone was flat, it was dripping with underlying bitterness.

While Bill and Amelia held their breath, Sydney calmly set down her fork. “Perhaps we should talk about this outside,” she said to him.

“Fine,” he grunted, standing up quickly as he threw down the napkin in his lap. Sydney stood in a lady-like fashion, picking up her oversized purse on the way before following him out to the front porch. “So?” he asked, folding his arms over his chest.

“I think you know why I’m here,” she said softly,

“Um, no I’m pretty sure that I don’t because if I knew why you were here I wouldn’t be asking why you were here!” he snapped.

“Fine,” she sighed, resting her purse down on the nearby railing as she spoke. “This has gone on too long so I just… well, here,” she said, handing him a brown folder held together with a large black clip.

“What’s this?” he asked, refusing the time and taking a step away from her.

“Just take them,” she said, jabbing at his chest with the folder.

“No,” he refused once more. “What are they?”

“Divorce papers,” she said simply.

“D-Divorce papers?!” he laughed in an almost amused manner. “You’ve got to be kidding me!”

“Why…would I be kidding?” she responded with utter confusion. After all, for the later eight years of their marriage (which was a marriage only by legal status since they were in no means married in any other form) they had not seen or spoken to one another. She had dated people in that time and was positive Michael had done the same. For all intensive purposes they were already divorced; it was time that fact was made a legal one.

Michael shook his head with disgust. “You show up here in the typical Sydney fashion – expecting everyone to drop everything and bow down to you so you can continue being queen of your own Sydney Universe. In eight years you never called you never wrote hell, you probably never even talked to your father either! You just disappeared one day and that was it so why should I bend over backwards to help you when you sure as hell haven’t cared about me in the past decade!”

“Jesus Christ Michael I’m not asking for a kidney!” she exclaimed with frustration. “I would have thought you wanted this too! Whatsamatter? Hemlock Grove not producing women who will cook all your food and do all your laundry for you? Looks starting to fade in your old age? Don’t you want to get married again thus need to be divorced so you can do that?”

“Do you?” he challenged. She said nothing. “Well you know it’s funny. I don’t think I’ll be getting married again…Yeah, got married once…really didn’t work out so well. Actually, it was rather awful.”

She growled at him and thrust the folder towards him once more. “Just sign the damn papers Michael and then I’ll go back to New York and you don’t ever have to think of me again – which, clearly, is what you have been doing for the past eight years!”

Michael took one look down at the folder and seemed unimpressed. “I don’t think so,” he said casually.

“What?!” she screeched.

“I don’t think so,” he repeated, more slowly for her benefit. “No, I think you need to spend some time around these parts. You never know, it may do you some good. Carrying around that big head of yours must be exhausting; maybe some time around here will deflate it a bit…”

“What about the divorce?!” she shrieked at him.

Again he looked at the folder saying, “I’ll sign ‘em when I’m good and ready.” Then, with that, he pushed past her and walked off towards his car leaving Sydney fuming on the porch.

Once he had sped off, kicking up dirt and gravel in his wake, the screen door creaked open and Amelia appeared. “C’mon dear; finish your breakfast and tell us more about your job,” she encouraged softly. She was acting as though the previous argument between her son and daughter-in-law had not taken place at all. Of course, she had heard the whole thing, but was pretending as though she hadn’t; the typical small town way.

“Yeah, okay,” Sydney mumbled, picking up her purse and the divorce papers before following her back inside. She would just have to deal with Michael another day.

Whatsamatter? Hemlock Grove not producing women who will cook all your food and do all your laundry for you?
I'm sensing some story here. Sydney wanted a career in NYC and Michael a wife in Hemlock Grove?

This is great, by the way.

Seems like Michael wanted the wife and mother. Sydney wanted the career.

Did she just really up and leave one day? Dang that sucks. Happy Michael isn't giving in to Sydney and spending some time with him in their old town will hopefully open her eyes a bit. Hopefully they can find a happy medium together.

Chapter 3
After finishing up her brunch with the Vaughn’s, during which Michael was not mentioned at all, Sydney left, promising that she would not leave town again without at least stopping by to see them once more. If Michael’s attitude continued as it was, though, it appeared she would not be leaving for quite some time.

After leaving the Vaughn’s, Sydney drove to her father’s house, the house in which she grew up, which took all of three minutes time. She parked her car in the driveway bedsides the white paneled van that belonged to her father. He was an electrician for Hemlock Grove and the surrounding area and the van parked in their driveway (which, unfortunately, was their only means of transportation in Sydney’s teen years) bore his name and profession in large block lettering. Naturally, this was a source of embarrassment to Sydney over the years and she avoided riding in that van at all costs.

After grabbing her luggage from the backseat of her vehicle, Sydney headed up towards the front porch, taking notice that as her father’s hours as an electrician increased, the paint quality on the front of the house decreased. She made a mental note to offer to pay someone to repaint the house for him while she was staying there.

Just a moment after she rapped on the screen door, not wanting to just barge in even if it was her house, her father came to the door looking just as surprised as Amelia had been. “Sydney, what are you doing here?” he questioned, opening up the door and ushering her inside. While they spoke at regular intervals, even discussing a time when he could go and visit his daughter during that summer, Jack was under the impression that Sydney would never be returning to Hemlock Grove, at least not in that decade.

“I came to divorce Michael,” she said simply.

“Oh,” Jack said. While he did not dislike Michael as a person, Jack was never a fan of Sydney’s marriage to him. He did not have a problem with their relationship as a whole, though; he merely felt that no one should get married as long as they were still in their teen years. In his mind, it was foolish. “How’d that go?”

“Not well,” Sydney sighed. “But I didn’t expect it too.”

“Right… did he at least sign the papers?” Jack asked.

Sydney scoffed. “No, of course not and he was a real jerk about it too. I’ll just have to try again tomorrow,” she resolved.

“Or…you could do it through a lawyer,” her father suggested.

“No, I have to do it this way. I mean, I can’t honestly blame Michael for being a little jerky. After all, I’m the one who hasn’t spoken to him in eight years,” she sighed, glancing around her father’s home. In eight years it had not changed one bit. The same pictures still adorned the walls. Her mother’s knick-knacks still rested in the exact same spots on the end tables. Aside from the fact that her father appeared to have purchased a new recliner, all was the same.

“He didn’t bother to call you either,” Jack pointed out. Not once had Michael approached him and asked for Sydney’s contact information. Not that he would have given it out very willingly to the younger man, but he would have at least respected him a tiny bit more.

“He didn’t have to, Dad. I’m sure the rumor mill around here was spinning a thousand miles an hour; he knew I wasn’t coming back,” Sydney sighed. “It doesn’t matter, though; its in the past. Mind if I stay here a few days?”

“You can stay as long as you’d like,” he smiled softly at her. She thanked him and gave him a quick hug before taking her bag down the hall towards her childhood bedroom. There, time stood still as well and, aside from a few more inches of dust across everything, nothing had moved an inch.

Slightly miffed that her father had not vacuumed her space in all that time, Sydney took it upon herself to make the area livable once more. She cleaned, dusted and, as she did so, remembered fondly the times that corresponded with each and every memento she had.

Hanging down from the corkboard above her desk was the lei given out at the post-graduation celebration. The small area of Hemlock Gove had one school building for grades seven through twelve (the younger students were housed elsewhere) and Sydney’s graduating class only had forty-three people, the largest class the school had ever seen. Needless to say, everyone knew everyone else – all the stories, all the secrets, all the drama. Since Michael graduated two years before she, Sydney attended the post-graduation festivities alone (they were only for the graduating seniors; no dates allowed). That night was one of the few they spent apart doing separate activities, so it held a certain amount of loneliness for her. She did manage to have some fun, though, particularly when she won the raffle and was able to take home a hundred dollar gift certificate to Sears. Sydney laughed softly at the recollection that that had been the highlight of her evening.

While dusting she passed more knick-knacks and trinkets including photos of herself and her mother when she was younger that brought tears to her eyes. When she came around to the other side of her bed, she found the only new item in the room: a cardboard box overflowing with some of her clothes and other belongings. One look in it and she knew it was from the home she briefly shared with her husband.

Since during the early (and only) stages of their marriage Sydney was attending college and moving in and out of the dorms, she had never officially moved into the house they shared. This was also because their house was a ‘fixer-upper’ in every sense of the term, and was not exactly a suitable living environment for them, especially not in extreme temperatures due to the holes in the walls and roof. Therefore, very few of her belongings were actually in the house at the time of their split. This was probably a good thing considering it appeared that some of them were now broken or shattered, most likely a result of Michael’s disapproval of the way their union ended. Signing, Sydney kicked the box aside; she would go through it later.

Once all the cleaning and dusting was complete, she curled up in her bed to take a much needed nap; it had already been a very long day.

Hmmm I'm interested to see what happened between them. Like everyone has been saying I'm thinking Michael wanted wife and kids and Syd wants her career.
Great update

So why did they get married? They never really lived together. She went of to college and left shortly after they were married. Was that the reason for the town gossip or is there more to it?

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Back