Her Royal Duties

Title: Her Royal Duties
Rating: PG-14
Author: Vartanforever81
Disclaimer: I do not own Alias or any of its characters. I do not own any other fics, shows, or movies that this might resemble. I do however own the characters I create.
Subject: Sydney Bristow is eighteen, a fresh new prep school grad, and eager to make something of herself. She just happens to be the only Princess of England. She just graduated from an American Virginian Boarding school and has to be part of her monarchy as the heir to the throne. Back in England, amongst her royal duties as Princess, Sydney must adjust to her new life that she hasn't had since she was thirteen- the role of a princess. Just as things go well, Sydney meets Micheal Vaughn and Sir Lawerence Huntley. The Queen, her grandmother, is playing matchmaker for the young princess and is overwhelmed when she finds that Sir Lawerence is attracted to Sydney. Sydney must choose: for richer or for poorer...for the good and happiness of the country or for the happiness of herself?

Scroll Down for Chapter One!

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Chapter 1. </span>

Sydney awoke to the sound of a pounding on her door. She groaned, pressed her head into her pillow, and pulled the covers up over it. Her flat mates- or rather dorm mates had all probably left for breakfast. It was their last day at The Hamley Preperatory Academy for girls. That was her last night.The graduation ceremony was last week but no girl ever left until a week later. Today was the day that she would leave the school she had been at since the eight grade when she enrolled at the mere age of 13. Her grandmother sent her to the school in Virginia as an escape from her....everyday life.Now, she was eighteen and ready to face the new world. The banging continued. Maybe just not yet. Sydney sat up in bed, ran a hand threw her long brown hair. She stared up at the adjacent wall which she and her dorm mates had covered with movie posters and pictures of hot movie stars. She glanced at the picture of Matthew McCoughnahey- her favourite. There were some good times at Hamley that Sydney fondly remembered- being sent there was one of them. Others were not so good like just the past month she got drunk and nearly got expelled. It wasn't something her parents were to pleased with. The banging on the door got loudly.

"Miss Bristow," the woman yelled, "Please open your door or I will have to get my key."

It was her advisor, Professor Higgins.

"Please Miss Bristow," Professor Higgins repeated.

Syd stood up and groaned, "Alright. I'm coming."

Sydney slowly opened the door and her advisory came in.

"What is soo important that you had to wake me after graduation at 8 am in the morning?" Sydney questioned pouring her a cup of coffee from the coffee maker her grandmother got her last Christmas.

"I'm sorry Sydney it's just...there are some people downstairs that need to speak to you," Proffessor Higgins apologized.

"Fine," she sighed, "Let me get dressed and I'll be down in a minute."

"Sydney, if I don't see you for the rest of the day, it was very nice getting to know you these five years," Higgins smiled walking out of the room shutting the door behind her.

Syd grabbed a pair of American Eagle jeans, her white oxford tee-shirt with the Hamley embelm on it, and slipped on flip flops. It was post graduation so formal wear wasn't required except for assemblies. She tied her hair up in a loose pony tail and made her way down the grand stair case. Portraits hung about the wood boarding of old head masters and house advisors. As she came into the foyer Professor Higgins nodded outside.

Sydney slowly opened the huge wooden door and sun light crepped in. Suddenly flashes from cameras stung Sydney's eyes as the door opened fully.

"Your royal highness," the reporters yelled, "A few comments!"

Syd slammed the door suddenly shut and leaned up against it.

The only princess of England came to Hamley to escape the paparazzi- not invite them for tea. Well, after all, she was the Princess of England.

vartanforever2890 said:
Sydney must choose: for richer or for poorer...for the good and happiness of the country or for the happiness of herself?
[post="1052563"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Ahhhh ... interesting! :smiley:
I smell angst! :rolleyes:
That was a nice start! (y)
Can I please get a PM? ;)
Thanks

Muse

Ohh!!! Interesting. I saw this at Sd-1. I don't know why I didn't read it. Shame on Me. TskTsk!

Great Chapter
I Loved It
Cant wait for more

PM Me! :P

Ohh! Loving this so far. I might try and follow it as SD-1.net once its back up and running. Can you please pm me under the same name there?

Thanks!

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Chapter 2. </span>

Sydney gave Professor Higgins a cold look and ran a hand through her hair. Handling the reporters and paprazzi was always Sydney's weakness. Of everything they taught at Hamley, Latin, Greek, knitting, why couldn't they teach a course on how to handle the press.

"Press and Pressure 101," Sydney thought, "Now that's a course worth taking."

Professor Higgins stood quietely near the couch not knowing what to say. She knew Sydney hated people invading into her personal life. She actually felt guilty for coercing Sydney to come down stairs.

"Why did you tell me the whole god damn media was standing on the front steps of Hamley Hall Girl's Dormitory?" Syd asked standing up ploping down on the stair.

Higgins cleared her throat, "Language, Miss Bristow."

"I'm sorry Professor. It's just...my grandmother, the queen, sent me here to escape the scandal of my parent's death. She wouldn't have sent me here if she knew I would some day have to deal with all this."

Sydney's mind flashed back to five years ago. Her parents were killed in a boating accident. There was some speculation that inside government circles planned the death.

Higgins sighed and sat down next to Sydney, "Miss Bristow, you've dealt with these people before. I may not be an expert on the media and royalty but I'm guessing the only way for them to leave you alone, is to give them what they want. They want something to put on their front cover. Her Majesty, your grandmother, may have sent you here to escape your life, but think how it will be when you 'repear' back in London. Why don't you just face your fears now?"

Sydney absorbed her wise advisor's advise, "I suppose you are a little right."

She stood up and smoothed out her hair and shirt again, "I really don't want to do this."

"Remember," Higgin said as Sydney approached the door, "Give them what they want. Answer each question."

The princess slowly opened the door again and was blinded by the cameras. Her advisor joined her by her side and shut the big wooden door. The press was gathered on the front steps of the magnificant hall. Sydney and Professor Higgins stood on the platform before them.

"Your highness," the reporters yelled, "A few words! Answers! A comment!"

With her hands, Professor Higgins motioned with her hands for the crowd to quiet down, "Her royal highness will take a few of your questions on the terms that you will let her depart from Hamley in peace."

The reporters raised their hands eagerly and turned on their recorders.

Sydney pointed to a man in the back, "You, sir. In the red shirt."

"Your royal highness, when you first arrived at this school you and your advisors wouldn't comment on why you were sent her. Would you comment on the reason now? Did it have anything to do with your parents death?"

She knew that question would come up. Over the years she contemplated how she would answer it but no suffcient non evasive answer came to mind.

"Um...I...um.....I was sent here because...my grandmother, the Queen, felt that I need a school far away from England to grow up. She chose this school because of its...uh..excellent...um...atmosphere and reputation."

"So it had nothing to do with your parents' tragic death?" a woman asked.

"Uh no. Not directly."

The hands flew up again eager to hear more.

"You. The woman in the black dress," Syd acknowledged.

"What do you intend to do in England after you leave your school? Do you plan to attend college?"

"Uh...I...haven't decide...um..whether I'll attend university in the near future....I am...uh.....heir to the..um..throne so my education will be much....aquired on the job. Maybe I will take a course on..um....British history."

Sydney couldn't help but think how unconfindent she sounded.

"So you plan on accepting the throne?"

"Uh...it...I hope...will be quite aways away...so I...cannot comment on that yet...but most likely yes."

More hands rose almost ooing and aahing for attention and to be chosen. Sydney nervously chosen a young looking man on the side of the crowd.

"Your royal highness, there have been rumours circulating that you are romantically involved with the President of the United States's son, Michael McCallister. Are these rumors true?"

"s***," Sydney thought- she didn't know how to answer such a question.

"Um....Mr McCallister and I have a relationship definded as friendship but we aren't dating or interested in each other."

"What about your school mate Jack Davis?" a reporter asked holding up a picture of the Inquirer, "This tabloid shows you and Davis kissing and holding hands in the park."

"Uh....Mr Davis and I..were...um....we were...um...dating for a short period of time."

Sydney had a gut feeling that the media would now distort that image into something much greater, "Next question."

"Are you planning on marriage once you get back to England? Is their going to be a King of England when you rule?"

"Marriage...uh...I'm eighteen and still...uh....young. I haven't..um... given great thought to the subject....but yes I am."

Sydney suddenly felt very uncomfortable and glanced at Professor Higgins to end the interview.

"Miss Bristow has very important matters to attend to at this current time. Thank you for being patient for an interview with her royal highness. And if you will please leave the Hamley School property, it would be greatly appreciated."

Sydney shut the door behind her and began to walk up the stairs, "That went terribely."

"I don't think so," Professor Higgins replied, "What did you expect them to ask? Whether you were on the trivia team?"

"I guess," Sydney sighed so she could finished packing for tomorrow's departure.
________________________________________________________________________________

Michael Vaughn sat watching the television in his mother's Notting Hill apartment. He flipped through the channels amazed that it was seven o'clock in the evening and there was nothing entertaining on to watch. He heard the key enter the door and his mother cheerily came into the apartment home from work

"Hey Mum," Vaughn said getting up off the couch and kissing his mother on the cheek. He noticed that the wall coming into the small apartment needed to be repainted. It wasn't an overly glamourous place to live but it would do- it was enough for him and all they could afford.

"Hi Michael," she said following him into the kitchen and putting her bag on the small table, "I picked up some of that pre roasted chicken for dinner. Help yourself to some."

"How was work?" he asked getting two plates, two knifes, two napkins, and two forks and laying them down on the table.

Mrs Vaughn sighed, "It was good. Nothing out of the ordinary."

She went to work every day in Buckingham palace as one of the maids- it had decent pay and good benefits.

"Did you see the queen today?" Michael asked, "You've been there ten years now and only seen her once a week?"

"Not today dear," she replied carving the chicken, "But you will get to meet her. The annual staff Christmas party is coming up in about a month and we are allowed to bring our families."

"Oh," Michael replied grabbing a water from the fridge.

"I thought you had to work tonight?" Mrs Vaughn asked in a concerned voice.

"Uh...I..don't think I'll be going to work soon," Michael replied hesitantly.

"What? Michael. You know you have to work. How do you expect to pay for your college education? It is only your first year and the deposit was bank breaking. We need the money," Mrs Vaughn explained.

"I know," Michael replied gluging down water, "It wasn't my choice. Ever heard of down-sizing?"

"I can't believe a grocery store downsizes."

"Well they do, Mum! I'll look for work tomorrow."

"That sounds better," Mrs Vaughn replied calmly, "How is school going?"

Michael finished chewing before speaking, "Good. My history course is interesting."

"Do you still want to be a history teacher?"

Michael nodded, "Oh by the way, me and a couple of the guys are going out tonight. I should be back by 1."

Mrs Vaughn sighed flicking on the news, "Fine. I'll asked around the palace if there is any jobs open for you."

Vaughn got up and went back into the living room grabbing a sports magazine to read.

[I/]"Her royal highness, Princess of England, Sydney Anne Bristow Windsor, will be returning to London tomorrow," the news anchor reported, "She has spent the past five years at a boarding school in America after the death of her parents when she was thirteen. She turned eighteen last January and graduated from Hamley Preperatory School in October. After avoiding the media for three years, Her Royal Highness just today spoke to the American Press. From the interview, we learned alot about the grown up princess. She explained that she was sent to boarding school not because of the death of her parents, Prince Reginald Bristow Windsor and Princess Ann Bristow Windsor, but because Her Majesty felt she needed a school away from her country. However, we do not believe that is the whole story. She told us that once she returns to England she may take a course or two but mainly forfill her duty as Princess- a role she has escaped for five years. One reporter asked whether she will accept the throne once the demise of the elderly Queen Clarise who is currently eighty-five, and Princess Sydney will accept the throne. On a more personal level, Her Royal Highness's romantic life was probably the highlight of the interview. She explained that she is not involved with Michael McCallister, the son of the President of the United States. She also admitted to us that she had a steamy relationship with classmate Jack Davis. All you young bachelors out there will be happy to know that on her return to England she will be single and having marriage in mind. Now, back to you Henry and Annabel for your local weekend weather." [/i]

Mrs Vaughn turned off the television, "They just reported that Princess Sydney is returning to London tomorrow."

"That's nice," Michael replied not having much interest in the subject.

"She looks so much older now. I remember running into her in one of the hallways when she was 8. Such a rambuncious child. It's a shame what happened to her parents."

"I have to go," Michael yelled grabbing a coat from the coat rack, "Don't wait up for me."

"Bye," Mrs Vaughn yelled back.
________________________________________________________________________________

It was close to six o'clock and Sydney sat on her bunk bed not wanting to pick up her suit case and leave just yet. Her flight was at eight and she knew that her car was coming soon. Her friends and flat mates Amanda, Julie, Maria, and Jenny sat on the opposite bed.

"We're all gonna miss you," Amanda said giving Sydney the puppy dog face.

"Yeah, who is gonna blast their loud music in my ear to wake me up next year?" Julie laughed.

"And who is going to get drunk with me?" Jenny confessed in a quiet voice.

"I'll miss you too guys! As soon as I settle back in to my life, you all are coming to London!" Syd said hugging each of her friends.

"I wonder what it's gonna be like going back there and seeing all those people waiting for you," Maria reminded her, "And all the guys that will want to date you! You are so lucky!"

"You tell me I'm lucky when you go grocery shopping and see on a tabloid cover me and a guy kissing or dancing at a night club and the headline saying 'Princess of England= Ruthless Partier," Syd laughed.

"I guess your right," Amanda relented.

"Your royal highness," said a voice outside her door, "Your car is waiting for you, ma'am."

Her friends curtsied to her as a joke as Sydney smoothed out her Burberry white dress suit, put on her black and white Louis Vuitton pumps, and a big black and white Garden Party hat.

"How do I look?" Syd asked hold her hands out.

"Like a princess. Definately. Bye, Sydney!" they all cried.

Syd hugged them again, handed all her luggage to the driver, and paraded downstairs. The staff was waiting outside by the limo as Sydney and her friends walked outside and down the steps. Jack Davis, one of her closest friends, was waiting by the limo door.

"Ok," Sydney said, "No tears. I'll call you all from London and book flights for Christmas. I love you guys."

Her friends hugged her and joined the staffed.

"Have fun, Syd," Jack said opening the car door.

"Thanks for everything Jack," Syd replied kissing him on the cheek and getting into the limo.

The limo drove off down the grave drive way past the open fields. Shouts and crieds of 'Bye' came from behind. Sydney officially left the life she remembered most- her life at Hamley. And now, she, the Princess of England, was on her way back to a life she abandoned years ago- a life the people expect her to jump back into.

vartanforever2890 said:
"I'm sorry Professor. It's just...my grandmother, the queen, sent me here to escape the scandal of my parent's death. She wouldn't have sent me here if she knew I would some day have to deal with all this."
[post="1079985"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
So her parents are dead :( and she just got her granny as family left? :thinking:
No aunts or uncles? :confused:
vartanforever2890 said:
Michael Vaughn sat watching the television in his mother's Notting Hill apartment.
[...]
He noticed that the wall coming into the small apartment needed to be repainted. It wasn't an overly glamourous place to live but it would do- it was enough for him and all they could afford.
So Vaughn is the poor guy? :confused:
I wonder who the rich guy is! :confused:
The son of the president? :blink:
vartanforever2890 said:
Mrs Vaughn sighed flicking on the news, "Fine. I'll asked around the palace if there is any jobs open for you."
Interesting! :smiley:
I see where you wanna go with this! :angelic:
Now I really can´t wait for more! :woot:
Thanks for da PM! ;)

Muse

This story is so awesome! I love reading stories that aren't CIA related. It shows the characters in a different light. Can't wait for your next update. By the way, if you could I would love to get a pm letting me know of your next update. Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!
~Teresa

Back