An Old Friend
- Foundation by Isaac Asimov
- Plot Summary: Foundation tells the story of a group of scientists who seek to preserve knowledge as the civilizations around them begin to regress.
- To date very few of Asimov's stories have been made into movies. The Foundation series is my personal favorite of all his works. Since it's really a collection of short stories, it lends itself quite well to a movie format. Asimov's sparse writing style would be ideal as well.
- Ringworld by Larry Niven
- Plot Summary: In the year 2855, four adventurers (two humans and two aliens) explore a mysterious "ringworld": an enormous, artificial, ring-shaped structure that surrounds a star.
- Mainly I'd like to see a Ringworld movie for the visuals. For my tastes the story aspect of Ringworld isn't particularly strong, but the ideas are wonderful.
- Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke
- Plot Summary:Childhood's End is about humanity's transformation and integration to an interstellar hive mind called the Overmind, man's inability to live in a utopian society, cruelty to animals, and the idea of being "The Last Man on Earth".
- The core material of Childhood End is a staple for film science fiction, but wouldn't it be nice to have one of these movies that actually had a bit of depth to it?
- The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
- Plot Summary: The novel tells the story of William Mandella, a university student conscripted for an elite UN task force being assembled for a war against the Taurans, an alien species discovered when they suddenly attacked human colonists' ships. Due to time dilation, Mandella finds himself isolated from a society that has changed radically.
- This is probably the least likely of all the stories on the list to be made into a film. While the militaristic aspects ought to be ideal and the story seems to be timeless in its handling of war; it's unlikely that movie studios would be brave enough to tackle the homosexual elements of the story. Shame.
- The Mote in God's Eye by Niven & Pournelle
- Plot Summary: In the year 3016, the Second Empire of Man spans hundreds of star systems, thanks to the faster-than-light Alderson Drive. No other intelligent beings have ever been encountered, not until a light sail probe enters a human system carrying a dead alien. The probe is traced to the Mote, an isolated star in a thick dust cloud, and an expedition is dispatched.
- Do I really need to explain why I want to see this on the silver screen? It's one of the defining works of the entire field.
- A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge
- Plot Summary: Faster-than-light travel remains impossible near Earth, deep in the galaxy's Slow Zone–but physical laws relax in the surrounding Beyond. Outside that again is the Transcend, full of unguessable, godlike "Powers." When human meddling wakes an old Power, the Blight, this spreads like a wildfire mind virus that turns whole civilizations into its unthinking tools. And the half-mythical Countermeasure, if it exists, is lost with two human children on primitive Tines World.
- This book is so epic in its scope that until recently it would probably have been impossible to film. But with the effects technology it's within the realm of possibility.
- Night's Dawn Trilogy - Peter F. Hamilton
- Plot Summary: The "reality dysfunction" is a break in the fabric of reality that allows the dead to return to our world, where they possess living bodies. Gradually, it becomes horrifyingly clear that all of humanity is at risk of being taken over by the minds of those long dead. More and more of the dead are stealing the bodies of those still living, grouping together into powerful consortiums led by leaders from history. Opposing this development is an increasingly desperate Confederation Navy.
- It would be a huge stretch to cover this gigantic trilogy in a single film. So how about three films? What if I say pretty please? There are just so many cool scenes in this space opera and I want to see them!
- Sundiver by David Brin
- Plot Summary:For nearly a billion years, every known sentient species in the universe has been the result of genetic and cultural guidance–or "uplifting"–by a previously uplifted patron race. Then humans are discovered. Having already uplifted chimps and dolphins, humanity clearly qualifies as an intelligent species, but did they actually evolve their own intelligence, or did some mysterious patron race begin the process, then suddenly abandon Earth? The answer to this mystery might be as close as our own sun, but it will take a daring dive into its fiery interior to know for sure.
- Perhaps not quite as epic in scope as some of the other entries on the list but the ideas are certainly big. Besides… chimpanzees and dolphins. You know you want to see that on screen.
- Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison
- Plot Summary:At the beginning of the first novel, the Stainless Steel Rat believes he has pulled off a successful bank job, but is out-conned into working for the government. In the Special Corps, the elite law-enforcement and spy agency led by the former greatest crook in the Galaxy, Harold P. Inskipp (a.k.a. Inskipp the Uncatchable), he joins the ranks of an organization that is entirely constituted of ex-criminals like himself.
- This is a very different sort of sci-fi than the others on my list, but can't you just pictureit as a movie. The books are begging to be turned into a movie series!
- Player of Games by Iain M. Banks
- Plot Summary:The second of the Culture novels. Gurgeh, a brilliant, though decadent, game player from the Culture, is entrapped and blackmailed to work as a Special Circumstances agent in the brutal Empire of Azad. Their system of society and government is entirely based on an elaborate strategy game, Azad.
- Okay this one is probably wishful thinking. Banks layered prose would be almost impossible to reproduce in a movie, but if any Culture book could be filmed I think it would be this one due to spy/thriller trappings.
INTER188 hadir sebagai salah satu daftar situs judi online resmi terbaik di Indonesia. Kami menyediakan produk judi bola terpercaya dan terlengkap seperti live casino online dan slot online