HeroEngine nominated for Game Developer Award

Simutronics' HeroEngine has been nominated for the 2006 Game Developer Front Line Awards. They are one of 5 finalists for the award for best gaming engine and are up against such competition as the Unreal Engine 3 and Valve's Source engine.

Winners will be announced in the January 2007 issue of Game Developer magazine. Stay tuned for the results as we learn about them!

Game Developer Reveals 9th Front Line Award Finalists

Can they win it without having a game out (either HJ or the secret Bioware game)? Only time will tell. Goodluck to Simu! :smiley:

Honestly, I'm surprised that it and Source made it this far. But I'm pretty sure the UE3 will take the prize. It's just by far the top of the line right now.

=D=

I think it rather telling that it got nominated and there is yet an operational game on the market that uses it. Bodes well, not only gor HJ, but KoToRMMO

Well over all power and options I don't think the HE is as developed as the UR3 engine. But hey, they got scripts just for MMOs in it. Rah!

Luciro said:
Well over all power and options I don't think the HE is as developed as the UR3 engine. But hey, they got scripts just for MMOs in it. Rah!

The thing that gets me is,

How do you know?

I'm not making comparisons, but have you used both?

;)

Yay purple!...That's a good point. To know exactly how they both work and say which is better wouldn't you have had to use them?]-} ]-} ]-}

Ya know, what WM said. I don't know, I think. If I were to make an educated guess knowing how engines work. I've worked with a few in the past as a tinkering teen and beyond and even got to work on the Weather Model you folks may have heard of. A graphical engine that the government uses to show how storm systems work. <-FEMA employee when there's a disaster to speak of happening.
One thing I know about any engine is the fact anything is possible if you work with it.
I just think, I don't know, that the Unreal 3 engine is just a freak on a leash waiting for whoever to do whatever to it. While the HE engine does seem more focused.
Let's just say with the HJ screen shots and movies that I've seen, it does seem a generation BEHIND the UR3 shots I've seen. But that's also the difference between a working product and development garbage that won't ever be used for anything other than marketing.
How do I know? Ya know Diviana since you're intimate with the product toss some stats at us where it competes or surpasses the UR3 engine. Otherwise considering what I know of what you do, you haven't the credit to say you've used both either.

:smiley: I never said I had used both, but perhaps instead of the word thinking, assuming might have been better put?

Anyway, I write quests and stuff now so I don't really play with the engine much these days.

Over all power and options I don't assume the HE is as developed as the UR3 engine? That sounds completely wrong..
*Inappropriate comments edited out*
My assumptions have me thinking of what each engine was developed for. I do KNOW quite a few stats on the Unreal 3 engine. Just because I geek out for everything Unreal, hey why not ya know? I can find out the HE stats if I searched I'm sure. But I do know a MMO engine isn't always about power, you want thousands of players playing together you worry about performance.
By marketing alone for each engine I can easily assume that the Unreal 3 engine is more powerful and flexible than the HE.
So I still THINK that the Unreal Engine is indeed a more flexible and powerful engine.

Needless to say, if I was to be questioned about anything it should have been.. "What makes power more rewardable than use?" Nothing, again tis just a thought.

Div hasn't said that the Hero Engine was better... in fact, no judgements were passed at all.

Furthermore, I was under the impression that the contest was for the best engine, not the most powerful, or most versitile. Yes, there is a difference. Take a console example, the Wii is selling like hotcakes despite the fact that it is neither as powerful nor as versitile as the PS3 or 360. So why is it selling? Because it is indisputably a wonderfully nifty device. Innovation. Well, if the HE is nifty enough, or revolutionizes the MMO industry, then yes it can certainly have a solid chance at beating a more "powerful" engine.

The only problem here is that Div mistook what Luc said. That's all. I don't think she saw that he was just stating his educated opinion. In a sense, both are right, since we have not actually set down and worked with them, we cannot give a real -set in stone- outlook on them, but we can, as we have done, give our opinions on what we know of each one.

The Hero Engine does not currently have anything out to date that can fully represent it's capabilities where as UE3 has several, include Gears of War. That alone will cause people to be slightly biased toward it. People like myself, who played GoW through straight. ;)2

All, these forums are here to discuss issues, bring up new ideas and talk about the directions things are going. We should all be mature enough (regardless of our age) to behave appropriately towards each other. The remarks that I edited/deleted from this post should not have been made in the first place.

Please do not use this as a forum to put others down. Opinions can be stated in a nice way as well without attacking a person.

Actually Milamber, it seems you've totally wiped my statements out while leaving Gate's false accusation editted, but still in it's proper form.

Why be unfair about it?

Thank you milamber, for the reminder of what this community is supposed to be about. I freely admit that I did cross some lines in this thread and I appologize to any who were offended.

Back on topic, WM, I agree with you that not having any full public displays of HE's capabilities could indeed hurt it in this contest. It really is kinda hard to judge something when you haven't had the chance to play with it or see its full prowess. I've personally enjoyed the UE3 engine very much- definitely some superb gaming experiences. :smiley:2

Hm.

I don't think there were any wrong comments brought forth, UR3 could be completely better than HE.

But I don't understand how assumptions, thoughts or anything of the sort can be made if you haven't really gotten to look at or use HB. The only people who have been able to use or even really see it were at the GDC, licencees, and us GMs, excluding a few screenshots that don't really show anything, and I am pretty sure there are no stats available publicly.

Anyway, I don't think this is really going anywhere, so ..

The end!

Back