Heroes and Health

So I've been mildly under the weather for the past day or two, nothing major, but it set me to thinking about HJ. Can our heroes get sick? If I'm slogging through a marsh, knee deep in muck and water, shouldn't I have a minor chance of contracting something not so fun? If I'm trekking through a snowy mountain, should I be able to get the sniffles? If I eat some odd uncooked meat, might I not turn green and queasy?

If there are illnesses, how should they be manifested in game? Should diseases be short term significant debuffs, like -10 strength for 30 minutes? Should they be long term, but minor, debuffs, like -1 Strength for 3 days? Perhaps some of each?

Let me know what'cha think!

~Dune Walker~

While I would like it, there is an article somewhere about illnesses in video games that has a good point about others not.. Some just consider that part of the "tedious" aspect to things.

It might be the dream of some role players, but I'm afraid we're a long ways off from that becoming a reality in a game.

If I could "toggle" my avatars sickness on and off myself, I would like it. Fully automated would be to irritating I think. (if it includes "debuffing")

As I want to be able to play when and how I want, as I (as a player) wanna RP my character, not let my server do it. I really hated the res-illness in wow for example!

You hated the resurrection sickness, but had no problem with magically coming back to life after every death? *grins*

Although yeah, I agree, things shouldn't be too annoying or tedious, because that does negatively effect the game.

~Dune Walker~

I think we should be able to get sick, but that healers should be able to cure us. Or, ya know, we could suck down some kind of antidote (Take one tablespoon every four hours until swelling goes down? What the hell?!) to make us better.

Some games already have that, In EQ2 when you run across Nektulos Forest for example, some areas have mushrooms or various plants and just going near them you have some very short term effects on your health.

However that being said most MMO whenever you suffer from a curse or a debilitating effect the easiest way to get rid of it? Dying! No MMO that i know off keep a curse/sickness once you die, it's gone. I wonder if a certain disease could stay on you even tough you died?

Honestly though, i think it would suck, realise how much life suck when you're sick. I really dont want to log on my favorite MMO to realise i canot do anything because i am too ill to do a thing.

There's such a thing as too much realism, this is part of such a thing.

Well in Gemstone3/4 I did get an infection in my ear after having an ear ring put in. So if any company will go that far towards realism it will be simu.

You should see some of the insane injuries that empaths have to deal with in DR. Disease is a major pain in the arse, both to have to heal. And it gets worse the longer you have it.

S'Kra War Mage: What kind of an Empath are you? What do you mean you can't heal that kind of wound? It's just a heavy bleeder!

Me: I uhh... don't have a tail...

S'Kra War Mage: ....

Me: *cough*

S'Kra War Mage: So I see...

*awkward silence*

*me gwething for my Prydaen 'path buddy*

Me: I have someone who can help, but she wants compensation in fish.

S'Kra War Mage: *blink*

Me: *sigh* I'll handle the fish, on the house.

~Dune Walker~

Well, just out of spite I will continue to reminisce. So there.

*sticks out tongue playfully*

I once had an outfit swap with a good friend in the guild. We completely swapped gear for a week. Had some fun with that. She kept way more herbs than I did, and she ended up returning my herb bag bursting at the seams because she compulsively had to collect enough to meet her usual standards.

She also complained that my altered chainmail was too heavy and she had trouble climbing in it. I found her amount of fluff to be insane, even compared to my large collection, and I actually had trouble taking everything off because she just had so much junk. She also broke three of my best picks which I had hidden in my cloak and forgotten. Good times.

-------

More on the topic of health, I remember seeing some really weird wounds in my time. A fellow walked in once toward the end of a long evening healing session in the Crossing. There was myself and a few other similarly low-skilled Empaths around, and one mid-range lass on duty for the more severe stuff. Anywho, this guy who walked in started doing sign language. No rangers were around though, so we couldn't tell what he meant and figured he was just someone who had cut off their tongue by accident while licking their sword (yes, you could do that). So one of the other somewhat lower skilled Empaths touched him and she shrieked. "Sweet Hodierna, he's headless!!!"

The fellow had, and I quote, "a bloody stump for a head". None of us realized it at first, since we hadn't actually looked at him. The most skilled lass there kept his vitality stable and worked at his other wounds while myself and an Elothean I didn't know went out to look for someone of a higher ability. It was an odd time of night and few people were around. Gweths were quiet. The Elothean ran to the Clerics and I hit up the bank and bazaar. No luck. Next, I dashed out the front gate to the Moonies, and asked around. One of them managed to contact someone somehow (they're spooky like that, I never knew how they did anything) and I started heading back to find the Elothean and tell him we'd gotten someone.

Long story short, not much later the master empath arrived and did his thing, and the grateful wounded fellow explained to us the dangers of advanced lockpicking. He gave us all small tips and went on his way. About two anlas later he came back grinning and without his left arm. Was quite the night.

~Dune Walker~

My only qualm about the GS health mechanics is that I can stand up and walk around with no legs... I can do many things without arms (they haven't fixed a few commands yet)... I can see with no eyes... etc.

Well being able to go blind in a game could be really problematic...

*accidentally set off a boomer box, requisite writhing, screaming, etc*

"Okay, I need to stop and consider things carefully. I can't see, but if I get to the Empaths I'll be fine. Fark it hurts! Uhh... felgercarb... which way am I facing?"

*fumbles around helplessly*

"Grr, this is madness! I'm doomed! I can't get all the way back to town from here!"

*flops down hopelessly on the ground*

*fiddles aimlessly with blades of grass and a small plant*

"I'll probably starve to death out here in this forsaken forest. Farking boomer! Who the heck keeps valuable objects inside an explosive shrapnel bomb anyways? Gorram piece of no-goo.... wait... is this..."

*grasps small plant and rips it out of the ground*

"Nemoih Root!!!"

*devouring of root, Popeye theme, wounds are miraculously cured!*

*gets hit by a train*

-------

On a side note, however, I've actually considered the possibility of blind characters in 3D graphical games and how you could make something like that work. Certain people like monks, or demon hunters, or whatever, could ritualistically blind themselves.

This makes their screen go black, permanently. They still have a UI though, and can still interact with things by bumping into them. Every time you bump into something you get a visual cue in the blackness, a quick and vague flash of whatever it is you bumped into. The visual cue quickly fades, though. This way you can stumble around and at first discern a "blur" object to show you hit something.

As you get more used to being blind, your character starts to compensate and to "see" in different ways. In a short amount of time you start to get flashes in the shape of the thing you bump into, like walking into someone will flash a humanoid shape in the blackness which will fade quickly. As you get more used to your condition, you develop area memory, and things you bump into or roads and paths you walk on you learn the place of and can start to "see" all the time in a kind of black and white outline. Moving to areas you have never been while blind will blur to blackness though, depending on how far you go.

Eventually you can start to see everything, even new locations, in a permanent, but still vague, black and white outline because your non-visual senses pick up. You can "see" moving objects very well, and can dimly make out the surrounding area, even if it is unfamiliar, just by listening. Eventually you can get so attuned to your other senses that you can see almost normally again, albeit with blurring and distortion and whatnot.

Why would you willingly go blind then? Well, aside from Roleplaying reasons, you could also add other unusual incentives such as the ability to "see" smells as clouds of gases in the air, the ability to hear things from much farther away than normal people, an immunity to being blinded by light, better "vision" in darkness, heat detection, and more.

~Dune Walker~

I really like that idea.

Sort of makes the whole 'super fine control over the look of your character' a bit... overdone. But I could certainly see that working - You could have things that enhance your ability to 'see'. like echo location and enhancements to your ears and other senses. You could be able to detect certain critters that may be more invisible or hard to catch to others (bats, etc).

Even devices to see just like everybody else when in towns or other safe areas (but when used outside town, the 'magic' that lets them work in town is gone, and nothing happens).

Back