Hero's Hall not a Guild?

Although HJ is pretty much setup for just that. With Families and Guilds, you have the chance for structured 2 tiered interactions in a guild.

Reminds me of the whole vassal system in Asheron's Call 2. I believe it was also in AC1 but I never tried AC1.

Jeez, I hope this isn't the case. Personally, I like a guild to have about 10-20 members.

I agree with you, but that doesn't mean that I'm wrong: in many games, small guilds are a liablity.

If that's true, I can't understand why devs concentrate so much of their effort on content which the majority of the players will never experience or will not be able to without great effort.

That's an easy answer: because it's easy. Raiding effectively makes a small amount of content equal a much larger amount of content. Given the difficulty of finding the right people to do the content, then the amount of time necessary to learn the content, then the amount of time to do it over and over and over to equip the whole raid. When devs get behind, raiding grows quickly. Look at "casual-friendly" WoW.

I hate raiding. Even when I had the time to do it, I hated it.

Although HJ is pretty much setup for just that. With Families and Guilds, you have the chance for structured 2 tiered interactions in a guild.

Not to mention if it's anything at all like DR, you'll have your "class NPC guild" to meet people and interact with.

I don't know if they are going to carry this aspect over, but it's an amazing way to bring people together.

It's really kind of off-topic, but I wonder if the plan is for the family system to only work for people who decide on it ooc before they start playing.

I think the family system will likely work a lot like that last name mechanic that's currently being put in DR (Stage 1 right now, Stage 2 should be out any time now). Basically you go through a process of registering your last name so that's yours, and no one else can use it unless you "adopt" them into your family. Giving them the rigths to be related to you.

How that will be expanded to work in HJ I'm not really sure. The way I understand it, families have a second chat channel? o.O If it's just a last name mechanic I'm all for it. But I don't really want to have to be directly related to my 'family' so to speak, share a last name with them to get the tight knit chat channel ... thing. If the only way to get the family unit mechanics are to share a last name with someone and be ICly related I don't think I'd use it much. Perhaps if Momma and I make sisters like we've toyed with, or if my and Tyrswind's characters get hitched somewhere along the road. But that's only two, maybe three people.

They have said that the families have last names, yes, so I imagine that the dynamic will be similar. I think they've also mentioned that you have the option of displaying that last name or just your first name, depending on your preference. You can always skip the family dynamic and just be in a guild if you don't want that personal channel.

I don't join a guild for numbers. In fact, I find that I've only ever been happy in small guilds. The just feel more personal, ya know?

I don't join a guild for numbers. I dont join a guild because it's small. I join a guild that has a nice, active, and close-knit group of members. I had my favorite guild in Guildwards Prophecies. Then they had to roll out factions and that tore my favorite guild apart. My gaming experience went a little downhill from there. Sorry just rambling now.

I like the idea of having roles within a guild. Most guild already do that but there is never a way to actually delineate who is who within a guild and it can get confusing. It would be nice if you could put notes beside people in guilds and have it there so that people can easily see where they need to go to if they have a request, complaint, or anything else. I personally like finances myself. Just love having and seeing lots of information written down in a nice orderly fasion on paper or excel spreadsheets.

Thanks in advance
~Ashvirenza Stormhood

I like the idea of having roles within a guild. Most guild already do that but there is never a way to actually delineate who is who within a guild and it can get confusing. It would be nice if you could put notes beside people in guilds and have it there so that people can easily see where they need to go to if they have a request, complaint, or anything else. I personally like finances myself. Just love having and seeing lots of information written down in a nice orderly fasion on paper or excel spreadsheets.

I am a guildmaster for a guild named "Runs with Scissors". We've been around for about 5 years or more... I've lost count. We have roles, and our titles or ranks, usually are from top down: "Guildmaster", "Assistant Guildmaster", "Officer", "Elder", "Member" & "Initiate". We started out in Dark Age of Camelot and moved to WoW (Steamwheedle Cartel server), and we pretty much maintain those ranks. In both games, the guild systems in place allow you to place public notes & officer notes, so everyone can tell who is who. GM's have all their characters in the GM rank, or Officer rank so you know, when there's a problem go to the next up in rank. Games that don't have that, kind of are teh suck IMHO.

I definitely judge a game by its guild system. and if the game has the capabilities to form alliances between groups of guilds, then the game definitely gets checked out.

When HJ finally releases, I plan on making a thieves guild (assuming that HJ doesn't have official guilds to join)
A place where thieves, assassins, smugglers, or anything similar will have a place to call home.