Hero's Journey, Dead?

Onilink, Pinnelipe, Diviana and all the others working on HJ

Thank you for the work you are doing. I'm sure doing it out of a passion for the field and the game. I know it's a thankless (and pay-less) job. I hope to see your work someday.

It’s just a shame that Simu has put you in the position that you all are the face and voice for their game. Having a good face/voice for their game is SO important. Heck, the main reason I play Warhammer now is because I started watching some of the video blogs from Paul.

I follow Stephanie on her blogs and twitter. She seems to have a fun personality that could communicate to the fans. I don't know why she doesn't. Perhaps one day when the game is published (or officially dead) someone well explain their decision behind the lack of PR.

It just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Of course unpaid volunteers (pretty low on the food chain) are going to get flack for anything they say without any official back up. You all have been left out to dry.

Yes, I know you are not being forced or even asked to post by Simu, but they know you and others are. Why not just jump on and say “Hey... What they are saying is 100% right and here is why.”? A perfect example is Simu's response to the layoffs on the official boards. No real explanation, just "Those other people are lying or telling half truths, but we aren’t going to tell what the real deal is. So neener!".

Even a volunteer, that has the support of the organization, that has the responsibility to communicate with the fans, would be better then what we have now. Someone that has some accountability and credibility to what they say.

But I think the point that was trying to be made (not so eloquently) is that in your position you would be the last to know what is going on. That’s not an insult or anything, just the fact of the matter. Just as you are under a NDA; IF something big like closing down HJ was being considered, upper management would also be under obligation to not say anything, likely until right before a public announcement was made. It wouldn’t matter if you are Stephanie’s best friend or married to the janitor, you wouldn’t know.

In the end, it’s a just game. The volunteers are getting great work experience and a great engine came out of it. So whatever happens, the gaming world is better off.

But I think the point that was trying to be made (not so eloquently) is that in your position you would be the last to know what is going on. That’s not an insult or anything, just the fact of the matter.

You guys have no idea. :/

Anyway, I'm done with all of this. I'm tired and stressed out, and a lot of stuff has been going on. This isn't helping.

I'd like to post the perfect "wall of text" to heal the wounds, quell the fears, and soothe the hurt feelings... But I'm just not capable of it. In lieu of a post with this magnitude, I'll share the only thing I feel that comes close to it.

---- is hard for all of us. Not just some video game that's having a rough development phase. In case you missed it, unemployment is in a 20 year high. Major businesses are tanking over night. Diseases are wiping out entire countries. Natural disasters are happening every weekend. Anarchy is becoming the natural state for a surprisingly large number of places. Polar bears are drowning, permafrost is melting, and ice caps are shrinking because of global warming. Cigarettes are ----ING FIVE TWENTY FOR ONE PACK OF REDS... Anyway. Regardless of what sinking boat you think you're on, there's no reason you can't sink into the murky depths with a smile on your face!

The world's ----ty enough without people fussing over a video game in a fan site forum. I know this is much more than a game to many of you, since it is quite literately your job and passion, but even if you lose it, there's going to be another sunrise. I'll even invite you over and we'll have a few drinks in House De La Unemployed. Cheers.

I would love to cosplay my Rogue/Ranger after HJ is launched and Simu throws Simu Con
rogue-sneaky.gif

Sweet. The first "Screenshot" in almost half a Year. And more interesting than most, because of the technical Capabilities (and Weakness) it allows to assume. Thank you.

...Youtube says "The Video is not available in your Country", and i can't select USA as my Country. Yuck.

that image is from the hj site inder the classes section.the difference my char will have is red eyes and white hair, minus the hood.what i'd like to do is change the purple to a green....if its possible.otherwise i'll definitely rock the purple.

I don't really know what to believe. But I do know this: Valendros, going "IT'S DEAD, I HAVE NO FACTS SO I WILL ASSUME!" over and over and over isn't helping anything. If you're so convinced it's dead then pack up and move on. Then if evidence comes out eventually to the contrary you can be pleasantly surprised.

For what it's worth, I hope it's not dead. I also don't believe the "a friend of a friend who used to be my sister's cousins aunt twice removed had an acquaintance who worked at Simu who said so". I also have trouble imagining Simu tanking after selling as many licenses as they did, including to Bioware.

The facts of the layoffs has been very well corroborated. The story is the same in every source I've had which include direct communication via e-mail with on-site Simu staff, conversations with plenty of off-site GMs via e-mail and forum postings on 4 websites including the official message boards.

Just about the only specific data I don't have is the actual number laid off, the actual number still there and the employee breakdown per department. I do have a very accurate % of laid off employees and from which departments, and a rough but decent estimate of the total number of people being paid to work on HJ (and that one of them is fairly bitter about the whole situation).

All of this data was gathered by my tenacious and very annoying 'the sky is falling' strategy. I got what I wanted, and I am very satisfied with what I uncovered. I've had 5 hidden messages on the officials, all for breaking the very real #1 policy on the officials
1. Simutronics has the right to remove any message it deems objectionable or that is not in Simutronics' best interest.
None of the other 8 rules were broken in any post I made, and have been threatened with having my posting privileges revoked (Oh please for the love of God, don't take away my ability to post on the officials! I need the censure! I am an enemy of the state! Not since Cheny have I seen people so power-mad).

Doesn't sound like to you that they're over-compensating?

The facts of the layoffs has been very well corroborated. The story is the same in every source I've had which include direct communication via e-mail with on-site Simu staff, conversations with plenty of off-site GMs via e-mail and forum postings on 4 websites including the official message boards.

Just about the only specific data I don't have is the actual number laid off, the actual number still there and the employee breakdown per department. I do have a very accurate % of laid off employees and from which departments, and a rough but decent estimate of the total number of people being paid to work on HJ (and that one of them is fairly bitter about the whole situation).

All of this data was gathered by my tenacious and very annoying 'the sky is falling' strategy. I got what I wanted, and I am very satisfied with what I uncovered. I've had 5 hidden messages on the officials, all for breaking the very real #1 policy on the officials

None of the other 8 rules were broken in any post I made, and have been threatened with having my posting privileges revoked (Oh please for the love of God, don't take away my ability to post on the officials! I need the censure! I am an enemy of the state! Not since Cheny have I seen people so power-mad).

Doesn't sound like to you that they're over-compensating?

Well, here's a simple solution... find another game to wait for. *shrug*

I have to admit when I first read these posts I was very sad. I don't think that Valendros is spouting lies about these layoffs, which means at best there are going to be major delays in the game's release. But on the other hand, I would go so far as to say that HJ is about as dead as it ever was. This game was/is supposed to be different from any other MMORPG in that its foundation is among players who want to simply make a game that is everything they ever wanted it to be. People work for free on this game not just because it looks shiny on a resume, but because they share that vision. Yes, the economy sucks, and as far as I can tell Simu is doing a piss poor job of handling their business. Without fixing the problems on the business end, whatever they may be, HJ cannot be released. But until they stop its development for good, and everyone who devoted their time on it thus far is forced to stop working on it, HJ can't really be considered dead.

Yes, the economy sucks, and as far as I can tell Simu is doing a piss poor job of handling their business. Without fixing the problems on the business end, whatever they may be, HJ cannot be released. But until they stop its development for good, and everyone who devoted their time on it thus far is forced to stop working on it, HJ can't really be considered dead.

This isn't anything new for Simu. Their business model has always really sucked.

Back