Hero's Journey - GDC 2007 VIDEO and Interview

Well there were a couple of things I liked in that vid.

-I liked the fact that the char was able to run through, not bump into, the NPC's.

-The NPC twonsfolk were mobile (maybe they have random chat etc?)

-The town itself simply looked very interesting insofar as just exploring it. Seeing what doors would open, byways, alleyways etc. It wasn't just flat buildings or castles everything seemed to have some flair and character.

-The speed at which the character ran and the running annimation itself.

-The colors. Even with a video of a video screen the colors looked nice, bright and vivid for those times when dark forboding areas become just too depressing.

-Even accelerated that whole dynamic sky/wheather things was nice as well. Other than the small peek at fight annimation that vid did more for me than the few snippets at the top left of the main site.

So ya, add some more folks and a bit of lag and I should be all set!!

Another thing I just noticed was the size of that city when the vid first starts. It HUGE!! Then they zoom into an area of it.

I wonder if every part of it explorable? Or will you have ot zone into some parts of it Like EQ2?

It's absolutely beautiful..

About the shadows, if you read the article, it says that shadows were seen on the characters, we just can't tell with the lower quality video.

Things I question..

What are the true day/night cycles going to be like?

Did I actually see a towns person wearing a peasant dress along with spikey shoulder pads in that video!?

Are we truly able to fit into all those nooks and crannies?

Are all those speeds of running available to players?

Is it possible to go into a more relaxed stance? The guy in the video was in a constant combat mod it seemed.

At least now I have things to question!

Another thing I just noticed was the size of that city when the vid first starts. It HUGE!! Then they zoom into an area of it.

I wonder if every part of it explorable? Or will you have ot zone into some parts of it Like EQ2?

Everything you saw in the video was part of a single zone and all of it was explorable. Though, not all buildings allowed you to venture into their interiors.

It's absolutely beautiful..

About the shadows, if you read the article, it says that shadows were seen on the characters, we just can't tell with the lower quality video.

Things I question..

What are the true day/night cycles going to be like?

Did I actually see a towns person wearing a peasant dress along with spikey shoulder pads in that video!?

Are we truly able to fit into all those nooks and crannies?

Are all those speeds of running available to players?

Is it possible to go into a more relaxed stance? The guy in the video was in a constant combat mod it seemed.

At least now I have things to question!

Yes, there were shadows. No, the video doesn't show them very well.

Hopefully the day/night/weather cycles will end up as realistic as those of Mother Earth, herself. :smiley:

Yes, there were all sorts of colourful NPCs in the demo, though I don't remember that one exactly.

I believe you will be able to explore anywhere you like, within reason, barring walking through walls or going where guards won't let you. The demo allowed the characters to explore almost every inch of it.

I am not certain what run speeds will be like in the final game.

Yes, there certainly is a non-combat stance.

Yes, there were shadows. No, the video doesn't show them very well.

Hopefully the day/night/weather cycles will end up as realistic as those of Mother Earth, herself. :smiley:

Yes, there were all sorts of colourful NPCs in the demo, though I don't remember that one exactly.

I believe you will be able to explore anywhere you like, within reason, barring walking through walls or going where guards won't let you. The demo allowed the characters to explore almost every inch of it.

I am not certain what run speeds will be like in the final game.

Yes, there certainly is a non-combat stance.

Thank you very much! I really wish the video quality were better.. With it, I couldn't tell if the things over the pipes were just nicely done textures, all in the actual environment, or a combination of both..

Like some people suggested, I really hope some actual gameplay videos come out soon, even if they are just teasers. Something similar to this one, but not just one that's a shot of a screen.

The video quality will increase quite a bit, and it should help throw more sparks of interest out there.

I hope the system specs arent out of this world... being able to run it on a 2yr old system would be nice, even if that involves turning down stuff... as long as playability isnt lost

My system can run VG at about Medium setting, and it looks ok, but there the constant stutters, freezes, etc, especially in crowded areas... gets very annoying

I hope the system specs arent out of this world... being able to run it on a 2yr old system would be nice, even if that involves turning down stuff... as long as playability isnt lost

My system can run VG at about Medium setting, and it looks ok, but there the constant stutters, freezes, etc, especially in crowded areas... gets very annoying

Yes, a good point. Although I think the VG problem may be that game and not your system?

Just curious if you mean that the day matches are day so if you play at night is night? Kind of like WoW's system?

Because I really hope it isn't like that at all even if they make it every real life hour is two hours. I would like to have the chance to see day and night happen and not just have it be the time it is that I am playing. I always enjoy seeing a sunrise and sunset and would like be able to enjoy those in game as well.

If just just meant that it goes day and night and we can tell seasons then I am all about that :smiley:

I'm sure the day/night cycle is much like DR, that is, not corresponding with RL time.

I'd love for the seasons to be felt throughout the lands differently. That is to say, different weather patterns for different geographical areas. Please don't let it be pouring down rain all over at the same time.

yeah I don't know how it's going to be, but I really don't want it to correspond with RL time. It can be inconvenient for some people, and besides, cool things should happen at night or during daytime (not saying they will, but they SHOULD!)! It's no fun if you can only play during one.

yeah I don't know how it's going to be, but I really don't want it to correspond with RL time. It can be inconvenient for some people, and besides, cool things should happen at night or during daytime (not saying they will, but they SHOULD!)! It's no fun if you can only play during one.

Oh yeah, no. I play games around the same time every night. That would mean my character would only be running around at night. Kinda works if my character is a vampire but I hate vampires.

I can see people's points, but if they don't have it correspond to real time I would like it to at last make the "days" longer than three hours.. If you're role playing outside, it makes it feel unrealistic because your character's been up for three days (if you play like me..hehe) and only gotten the talking and actions of one day in. If it's something like every hour is two hours in game, that sounds like a nice balance to me.

I'd like to see around 2-3 "days" in an Earth day. I'd also like to see them slightly off (2.5:1 perhaps so the time goes through different time cycles compared to ours, with an IG clock to show IG time, and an option to toggle RL time for those who don't keep track)

Back