Hero's Journey should not....

Karetyr

Cadet
What features from existing MMORPGs do you NOT want to see in HJ?

For me, I don't want to see the open-ended terrain of Star Wars Galaxies.

I don't want to see price tags on mobs and players.

I hate to see the level hovering overhead. Some guy be starting something, I want the mystery of wondering whether or not I can take him (representing the Arcanum I will of course be able to take him, but the option of mystery is nice ;)). In the same way with monsters I would like to actually be able to experiment, to have the excitement of facing a foe of unknown strength (rather than just playing match-the-number), and be able to tell stories of the biggest bear I have ever seen! (rather than saying that the bear was lvl 42 in a forest full of 35s)

I don't want to see a complete lack of GM enforcement of whatever rules are laid down (particularly the RP aspect).

I woud not like to see players forced to join guilds just to enjoy the end game content. Not a big fan of large raids just to enjoy end game.

Originally posted by crisisfox@May 31 2006, 02:25 PM
I don't want to see price tags on mobs and players.

I hate to see the level hovering overhead. Some guy be starting something, I want the mystery of wondering whether or not I can take him (representing the Arcanum I will of course be able to take him, but the option of mystery is nice ;)). In the same way with monsters I would like to actually be able to experiment, to have the excitement of facing a foe of unknown strength (rather than just playing match-the-number), and be able to tell stories of the biggest bear I have ever seen! (rather than saying that the bear was lvl 42 in a forest full of 35s)
Unfortunately the "conning" system is pretty much a staple in level based games, and probably almost required.

No required Raiding. Make it optional, and with no large benifits to those that take part in it.
No required PvP. Optional
No gold farmers. Don't give them a reason to be here, and ban the ones that try to.
Don't make grinding mobs more effecient and more rewarding than questing.

DON'T ignore the community. If they make really good posts, listen and don't break the game like Blizzard likes to do.

DON'T leave the official forums like they are.

DON'T encourage ganking, grinding and gold-farmers.

DON'T make radical changes unless the targeted aspect is so horridly bugged that players complain massively. If you want to change something, be subtle.

DON'T out-source UI Development to players.

DON'T do a completly flawed beta test like DnL.

Do not have less then 100 mob models. In FFXI all I saw was a super duper squirrel of death. Same goes in L2, MxO, etc.

Do not have downtime. If any, little.

Do not be only an online download. It needs to have a box

Do not limit PvP in any way. Open PvP servers for sure. I take no liking to carebears.

Do not make everyone the same, and have no value in being better then others.

Originally posted by Javewa@May 31 2006, 02:58 PM
DON'T out-source UI Development to players.
I don't wholly agree nor disagree with this. I feel Simu should release a couple different "skins" for their gui, and allow players or the community to develop others. I've yet to find a game I liked the default skin, except perhaps ... Anarchy Online, which was very configurable.

~ Jaraeth

Do not be only an online download. It needs to have a box

Hey now. I have nothing agaist a retail box, but they better provide a digital version. After too many screw-ups with preordering, I would much rather download the game to second it hits midnight of the release date while I am at work. That way, by the time I'm off I can get home and be playing it at 8am day of release....or sooner depending on when download finishes.

If not, I can almost assure that Direct2Drive will provide a digital version. I've used them many times for games. Kindda nice to wake up and have a new game without having to go anywhere. Plus, I have the HD space and all games from d2d are redownloadable. I don't have to worry about box storage. That said, I still by boxes for most games I adore.

1: Don't want to see l33t speak ever. Like profanity, they should add the common l33t speach to filter out. But they should do it with more creativity than !$#%. If someone say "I'm so uber leet" it should filter to "I'm so *makes choking sounds and dies* *chokes some more and dies again*!"

2: Don't want to see stupid unsuitable comedy (ie: the retarded gnome ebonics in WoW.) Comedy is fine and there is a place for it (alla the UAG) but it should be in character and suitable for a fantasy world.

3: Don't want to see any content or items in-game that cannot be visited/obtained by all. Now, that is not to say I do not want original items, as we all know my stance on that, but just that everyone deserves a chance to obtain it. This is also not saying I don't want any ticketed events, but just that those events should be paying for GM driven interaction and not be exclusive to their own area with their own items. I can understand paying more to experience something in a different way, or something that fits your style...but they should in no way get "more" or get "where" regular subscribers can't.

4: Don't want to see "claimed" RP rule servers where RP is NOT enforced. If you claim it...own up to it. I want to see GM's lay the hammer down on RP ruleset servers.

5: Don't want to EVER see another Gimli, Legolas, or Aragorn! EVER!!!!

1) I don't want to see 1337 speak at all. it annoys me and ruins immersian almost completely for me.

2) I don't want to see level loss after dying, its unrealistic.

3) I agree there needs to be a retail box AND digital download.

4) don't wanna see epic gear that you have to go raiding for and spend all evening just to hope to get it..

I don't want to see a game system that allows the use of 3rd party programs ie:Bots

I'll agree with all of you and say the whole 1337 speak has to go, sorry if your not mature enough to talk like a human than just don't talk

I don't want to be limited to only one char. per acct (I like my army of alts)

I don't want the game to be rushed because of a need to make money off it and then in turn lose out on content and playability release it when its done not before.

I don't want a pvp system that supports ganking lower lvl's that are just starting, but I do want a pvp system where if someone pisses me off I'm able to just kill them end of story. This may sound like a catch22 but if it means restricting pvp in starter areas then I guess so, I just don't like seeing new players get ganked by people that have been playing awhile because they are bored and want to make people not play the game. Also make pvp worthwhile don't implement it just to implement it make it have reason,(which they seem to be doing), but at the same time still let us solve our own problems with pvp(hope that makes sense).

I don't want it to be next to impossible to group with a friend cause he's x many lvls under or over me.

And last I don't want to wait till 2007 :( but oh well if it makes the game better I'll wait :D

Originally posted by Kylie@Jun 10 2006, 08:58 AM
1) I don't want to see 1337 speak at all. it annoys me and ruins immersian almost completely for me.

4) don't wanna see epic gear that you have to go raiding for and spend all evening just to hope to get it..
1. I hate 1337 speak as well. 100% agree.

2. Agree, you should never de-level. it's like taking a pay-decrease at work.

3. Retail box is a must.

4. I still don't see the problem with this. Their should always be gear above and beyond what other people have.

Originally posted by frostydf2@Jun 10 2006, 12:58 PM

4. I still don't see the problem with this. Their should always be gear above and beyond what other people have.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one Frosty. However being a game that is not based on lewt (at least from the info that we have at this point) I feel pretty good that just because I don't live 16-20 hours a day in HJ, I'll be able to compete with the no-lifer than does. Of course, I'd much prefer a game where skill is what really counts, not some stupid uber weapon and armor.

Oh, and I dont want every server to be a RP or open PvP server.

Originally posted by Kylie@Jun 10 2006, 03:58 AM

While I agree with your whole list Kylie, I just thought number 2 was funny because well...I don't know of anyone "realistic" that's come back from the dead and then complained they lost a level :lol:

Originally posted by Ikiru+Jun 10 2006, 03:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ikiru @ Jun 10 2006, 03:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Kylie@Jun 10 2006, 03:58 AM

While I agree with your whole list Kylie, I just thought number 2 was funny because well...I don't know of anyone "realistic" that's come back from the dead and then complained they lost a level :lol:[/b][/quote]
Yeah, very true Iki, hehe.
Funny thing is, that most people actually learn more from loosing. They learn what not to do in a certain situaltion, and if they are smart, don't repeat that mistake. Very few people actually get something from winning, they don't really look hard at what they did, or even know what it was that was important to them winning. So in that respect, loosing a level because you lost (died) is well, kinda dumb, I have to agree.

Originally posted by Morneblade+Jun 10 2006, 04:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Morneblade @ Jun 10 2006, 04:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Ikiru@Jun 10 2006, 03:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kylie
@Jun 10 2006, 03:58 AM

While I agree with your whole list Kylie, I just thought number 2 was funny because well...I don't know of anyone "realistic" that's come back from the dead and then complained they lost a level :lol:
Yeah, very true Iki, hehe.
Funny thing is, that most people actually learn more from loosing. They learn what not to do in a certain situaltion, and if they are smart, don't repeat that mistake. Very few people actually get something from winning, they don't really look hard at what they did, or even know what it was that was important to them winning. So in that respect, loosing a level because you lost (died) is well, kinda dumb, I have to agree. [/b][/quote]
LoL. Yeah...I mean it's not the worst thing that could happen, it's just kinda dumb! and as far as the epic gear/raid stuff..I don't MIND there being stuff like that, just so it's not a process that drags on and on and on, AND is completely neccesary for you to ever find a group or succeed in end game content!

Another thing I don't wanna see is names that have numbers more like a screen name...such as ......if I were to walk around as Kylie2006 or somthing! hehe...

Originally posted by Kylie@Jun 10 2006, 06:42 PM
I don't MIND there being stuff like that, just so it's not a process that drags on and on and on, AND is completely neccesary for you to ever find a group or succeed in end game content!
I don't want there to be end-game content.

If I played a game from level one to whatever, I don't want to play a different game when I hit 50. I want to play the same game. I want to keep doing what I've been doing, not for experience, or "fat lewt" but simply because it's fun.

(Fun seems to be the main missing factor in most modern MMOs.)

1. Make it so that there is no one single adventurestyle that is the end all that be all of character upgrading after you reach the level cap, i.e., 2-5+ hour long raids that MAY reward you after all that hard work.

2. Soulbound items. I hate that. Why must some invisible hardcoded hand of gawd keep me from giving my gear to someone else. Oh, I can see it now..."but then people won't get a sense of accomplishment or whatevar..". Look, That's how YOU might feel but not everyone shares your holier than thou mindset and furthermore, some could just as well argue that getting twinked is an accomplishment of sorts.

But seriously, some parts of real life seem out of place when coded out of the game. Like in real life it's possible for an accomplished soldier to give his rocket launcher to a 12 year old girl with no military training. Don't get me wrong, I can see from a gameplay standpoint how you wouldn't want noobs to wield items so powerful that they remove the challenge from the game...so just make it so you can't wield powerful items until you meet the lvl requirement while still enabling you to at least possess the item or if you already posses the item allow you to give it away to another player.

I hate bind on pickup and bind on equip. It's lame. Who I give my gear to is my business. The other problem with soulbound items is they needlessly limit one of the fun parts of these kinds of games, trading. People like to trade. So let them trade with everything they have if they want. Another point is it would make raid-centric endgames actually cool. Imagine, i do a raid and I get a sweet item but I do another raid and get another sweet item of the same category but better, I can give the older item to a friend and spare him the 4 hours x repeats it took me to get it. Before you babble about earnings accomplishments realized that I did earn the item and as the man who worked hard for it I have rightfully earned the right to pass it on to whomever I please. The only question is will the game recognize my earned right.

Back