Hero's Journey should not....

Originally posted by Kylie@Jun 29 2006, 01:24 AM
HJ Should NOT do the tiered pricing. <_<
A simple, yet effective answer to how hundreds of people feel about tiered pricing.

Originally posted by frostydf2+Jun 28 2006, 11:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (frostydf2 @ Jun 28 2006, 11:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kylie@Jun 29 2006, 01:24 AM
HJ Should NOT do the tiered pricing. <_<
A simple, yet effective answer to how hundreds of people feel about tiered pricing. [/b][/quote]
I honestly haven't seen hundreds of people say no to tiered pricing.

I have seen a few good handfuls, but hundreds is a little assumptive.

So slightly off subject, I'm totally freaking tired.

Originally posted by HJ-Diviana+Jun 29 2006, 09:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HJ-Diviana @ Jun 29 2006, 09:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by frostydf2@Jun 28 2006, 11:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kylie
@Jun 29 2006, 01:24 AM
HJ Should NOT do the tiered pricing.  <_<

A simple, yet effective answer to how hundreds of people feel about tiered pricing.
I honestly haven't seen hundreds of people say no to tiered pricing.

I have seen a few good handfuls, but hundreds is a little assumptive.

So slightly off subject, I'm totally freaking tired. [/b][/quote]
You probably won't see "hundreds" either. Unless you post a question about it on say the WoW or EQ2 forums, then I'd bet you'd see 100's and 100's saying they didn't like the idea.

From what I've seen on various boards where it's been discussed the only ones that don't seem to have a problem with it are people that are currently or have in the past played games with tiered pricing...the DR or GS players for example. The people that have never played games with that type of pricing scheme seem to be mostly against it. The vast majority of players, though, tend to not comment one way or another so you have no way of knowing how they feel. Especially true since the vast majority of players, even for a game that's already out, such as WoW, don't frequent any of the forums.

Originally posted by Duraenos@Jun 29 2006, 09:55 AM
I dont have to have played DR or GS to know how it would affect my wallet. Im against tiered pricing and ticketed events, period.
Hm.

I think you all feel like you will get nothing for the basic account (if we have tiers).

What you don't see, because you haven't played our other games, is the MASSIVE amounts of things you DO get.

The people who post here won't be the problem, Diviana, it's all the potential customers HJ is yet to attract who will have perceptions without even checking further on why there is tiered pricing, if there is.

Check frosty's thread on MMORPG. Some of those posters are even HJ fans, but haven't played in the Simutronics games, so they already have a perception about tiered pricing as it is mentioned there, and most don't like the idea.

Im not trying to toot my own horn or anything, thats not me. But, I have played nearly every MMORPG out there except for WoW (for personal reasons that is another story). Based on that, I have a pretty good idea about what to expect for what prices and what its worth to me as a online gamer. I have heard the HJ folks mention Housing, and special events for higher paying tiers. From the looks of things in the previews, the houses will be in select zones. And if HJ plans to only allow houses to be built in certain zones, that alone wont make a higher tier worth it. For 15 bucks a month in SWG, I can place a house anywhere I feel like without having to pay extra for it.

There are tons of other games out there that offer limitless building, placing houses anywhere with unlimited storage, and exclusive quest items to name a few. The only way HJ could reasonably charge for any of those things is if they implemented a flawless system with no bugs, nearly infinitely unique housing style with the ability to upload your own textures and custom build the very shape of the house. Impossible? no, a mmorpg named "Second Life" already does that very thing and the game is free to DL and free to play also.

The level of graphics in that game depends solely on the ability of skill of the players themselves to build everything from the grass, to houses, to clothes and so on. Some tough competition I would think except that SL(Second Life) has no viable combat or quests etc., its basicly like "The Sims". Im merely using it as an example based on their amazing crafting system. IF HJ implemented this same crafting system along with HJ's unique quest and combat system, THEN the game would be worth charging tiers IMO. But if they dont have a comparable housing and crafting system, then it simply wont be worth it comparitively, once again IMO.

I respect that Simutronics has a strong fanbase and a long history in the business. But when it comes to current and next-gen MMORPG's, you really have to compare what you plan to charge for as opposed to what is already out there for less or even free.

alright, first of all i have to totally agree w/ jon, no loading screens! i hate hate hate them with a passion!

second, plz no lame landscape separating areas in the game. i couldn't help but notice that in WoW every zone was separated by mountains. MOUNTAINS! thats just rediculous. (actually to tell the truth...there was like 2 places w/ no mountains. but still!)

From the looks of things it will all be split up into zones much like Guild Wars. Which is a disapointment for me considering that I like being able to randomly come across other adventurers, not just in towns or outposts.

Originally posted by Duraenos@Jun 30 2006, 02:07 PM
From the looks of things it will all be split up into zones much like Guild Wars. Which is a disapointment for me considering that I like being able to randomly come across other adventurers, not just in towns or outposts.
There will be instanced areas, yes, but they'll mainly be for quest areas. There will be plenty of world to just run around in and run into players as well as monsters.

People seem to see instanced and think the whole world is going to be instanced, like Guild Wars. If you check some of the interviews it's been stated repeatedly that the closest game out there now is actually CoH/CoV with their quest areas instanced but their main areas common. Much like CoH we will have the ability to create new instances of the common areas if they're getting overpopulated to the point that its causing game play issues but, as far as I know, we haven't figured out just how many players that might be yet.

As for loading screens and the mountains of WoW. Those are done because of limitations of the hardware, not becasue the designers are lazy. I can build you a huge area with vast open spaces and smooth transitions to a variety of terrain. You'd never be able to play though, no matter how good your hardware is. Today's computers just aren't up to the task of drawing all of those polygons at an acceptable frame rate. People see those computer animated movies and they think that if computers can build that why can't we build game worlds that look like that. What they don't realize is that those movies were rendered on multiple very high end graphics work stations and their rendering was still measured in minutes per frame and not frames per second.

In Guild Wars: Factions there are some open areas to explore now. However, the only time I've used them was to hunt the bosses to capture their skills. That seems to be the standard way of creating the online RPG games now, instances for quests and open areas just for exploring or socializing. I guess WoW isn't that extreme.

o yes, i almost forgot. i dont want to see strange drop rates for quesets (ex. the quest is to collect 12 raptor heads. it takes u 25 kills to collect all 12 heads)

so...does that mean more than half the raptors out there are running around without heads???

i personally thought this very annoying and unrealistic and do not wish to see it in HJ.

Please dont...

**Disclaimer :-: I haven't read the rest of the posts, and I am probably really arrogant for thinking that this hasn't been thought of before :-: **

I play FFXI right now and I figured out something I don't like. I didn't understand why I wasn't happy about it until now.

I don't like that X quest = do this, do that, take this to that person, fight this mob, fight that mob, fight a bunch of these mobs til something drops, then give it to that person, and then you get Y item from this person.

X Quest = Bunch of stuff = Y Item.

It just used to bug me and really upset me, then yesterday I figured out why... Everybody's quest is the same. Everybody has the same story. "Do you have Scroll of Banishing?" "ya" and that's the end of it. Both players in that senerio know exactly what the other had to do to get the scroll of Banishing. they did this than that then this than that. I know that if I need a scroll of Banishing, I just goto a website, look up the scroll, see what quest it is gained from, and do the quest. There is no surprise. I know why I need to get z item so I can give it to this guy and get my item because he's looking for his lost puppy. The stories are so darn static. Nothing changes.

How awesome would it be to have unique quests, somewhat the same in difficulty, but almost completely random (Not 10-20 or even 30 different ways to get it, but almost unlimited - people figure out the 10 ways to do it and post it on the internet). Then that same conversation; "Wow, you have a scroll of banishing?" "Ya, I faught a dragon for it. See I was talking with Johan in city of Barg when a meteor..." You have a story to tell. One of a million stories to tell by the time you're done getting everything. Some would be boring and some would be adventurious, daring and bold. You and your friends could actually sit around and reminiss instead of just saying: "Remember when we got scroll of banishing" "ya, you died from the newt" "ya... that sucked..." theres nothing more to say because you all already know what it involves.

But if you look up the scroll and it says, "Gained from a random NPC giving quests in one of these areas". Depending on how they got the quest and why and when and their reputation in the lands... the migratory flight pattern of geese in the area... you get X quest and somewhere along the way, if you're good enough, you'll find Y item. There's no knowing what will happen, no knowing what you will be requested to do, but if you find out the answer, you have not only the item, but an interesting story.

Insidently if you're curious. I found my scroll of banishing in the belly of a huge paper daemon. I equipped my fire wyr into my weapon and started slashing away. The paper burned up then the scroll was eaten by a dolphin. I lashed together a couple of sea turtles and followed that dolphin... I caught up to him and he took me to his dolphin city. The mayor was so impressed by my story that he gave me a scroll of reversal and banishing, but then chased me out of his city forever.

And should not provide unrealistic timetables.

I would rather have:
No comment even relating to a new feature then out of nowhere: "Hey we have an awesome treat for you, we just released oyster shucking"
instead of:
August: Hey guys, we're gunna do this awesome cool thing, oyster shucking... it'll be good to go and ready by October
October: I know we said we were going to have that awesome oyster shucking thing out by now, but we ran into a few little issues, it'll be ready by the start of the year, I promice. We have the code, we just need to make sure it's fair and working
Janurary: Oyster shucking code is DONE guys... Except it's a little glitchy, so we're going to make sure it's stable before we make it live.
December: Oyster what? WTF is Oyster shucking? We have this AWESOME cool new thing tho, it'll be ready by March, we're making it our #1 priority, dolphin riding.

It's just what Simu does, but I really hope somebody puts a stop to it. I see it already with the projected release date of the game. I remember when they first said they were going to make an MMORPG it would be "18 months" til it was out... three years later...

HJ should not have level- or class-restricted equipment (for things that should be usuable by all classes; unique items that only one class would be interested in, maybe). This means a character-centric system instead of an equipment-based one.

I haven't yet dug deep enough to see what's really going to happen, but that's my preference. One thing I loved about DragonRealms was that any character could pick up any weapon or armor in the game and use it right away. They may be worse off for using something beyond their current ability (e.g. someone with no strength or stamina trying to use a huge two-handed weapon), but at least it's possible. Similarly, a high-level character could grab a short sword from low level goblins and still be devastating with it (just not quite as good as with a good forged sword).

It's something I have yet to see done in most MMOs, so I'd like to see Simu change that.

MikeDold said:
o yes, i almost forgot. i dont want to see strange drop rates for quesets (ex. the quest is to collect 12 raptor heads. it takes u 25 kills to collect all 12 heads)

so...does that mean more than half the raptors out there are running around without heads???

i personally thought this very annoying and unrealistic and do not wish to see it in HJ.

/signed x99999999

Also, HJ SHOULD NOT go to beta without me or a black hole will open up above the sky and crush the galaxy into a singularity.

Back