HG2G For Sale - Good Faith Sale or Domain Speculation?

Mirelly

Mouthy Cow
This domain name is being sold by a cynical domain name selling business.

hhg2tg.com -- to cite one example -- is unallocated and can be freely registered for a few bucks/euros/squids.

I see no reason to line corporate pockets just because the previous owner of h2g2.com could no longer commit the time or funds to maintaining the original website. Just buying the domain name would not resurrect the original excellent site; moreover it was the traffic generated by the original site which has encouraged the current seller to seek to sell that benighted string of alpha-numerics for all the market will bear.

The beauty -- and the beast -- of the internet is that anyone can create a magazine/wiki/resource for any conceivable subject. The beauty is obvious. The beast lays in the success, or failure, of the project. Success brings server load and costs. Failure is ... well ... fail.

With h2g2 being a generic wiki covering just about any topic I could see hg2g being used as a more narrowly focused niche site specifically covering HHGTTG related stuff.

A fan familiar with h2g2 might not be happy about hg2g but somebody trying to target a niche market would be interested. It's why I mentioned that for the price in question I don't think we'll see a genre fan going for it but it will likely end up in the hands of a corporation or a link farm. I would hate to see it end up using that way as well but is part of the immortal battle between fans and domain speculators.

meh ... I've been subjected to private mail abuse by the O.P for my post. I smell rat. :eek:
If you hit "Report" in the mail conversation then one us can check it out. Disagreements of opinion are welcome, abusive behavior, whether in private or public, is not.

Oh, I have capacious knickers. And it wasn't exactly abuse ... just a pissy complaint about the tone of my post. I stamped on him and await explanation/apology; no response will merely confirm my original opinion.

Stamped on me and wait explanation.........?
This is what I sent you "Thanks for the derogatory comment but I am not a business I'm just a person who decided to sell a domain." and you have sent back a long winded nasty message which you probably want me to get upset over but I'm just going to ignore you from now on.

[ Thread split from the original sale thread For Sale - HG2G For Sale ]

I've split the argumentative posts from the original thread. To recap what is happening the seller is offering the domain "hg2g.com" for sale at a 4 digit price. A response was that the seller was trying to profit off of the similar domain "h2g2.com" which was a popular site run by the BBC UK but recently decided to sell the community due to budget cuts.

The seller believes that he is acting in good faith in offering a 4-character TLD (top level doman) that would appeal to fans of the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series while the opposing view believes that the seller is being unscrupulous.

Both sides appear to be not happy with the comments from the other but neither has crossed the line, so to speak, in their comments to each other that would warrant a community staff member to intervene but it is obvious that they are at an impasse. With the thread split the conversation topics about potential domain speculation, free markets, and debates in general can continue separately from the actual sales thread.

So post your thoughts, feel free to debate the merits of either view, just keep it civil. :smiley:

Thanks Kevin.

I have written to the OP and assured him that I do not, and never have, thought he was "unscrupulous".

I've also cleared up a major error on my part.

I originally misread the URL. I thought it was h2g2.com that was for sale.

hg2g.com was registered/re-registered on 20/2/13.

h2g2.com is still up and running from its secret Hertfordshire HQ, I am glad to say. With that in mind I am forced to wonder what possible added value of a Hitch-Hikery nature an additional 4 character TLD could add to a market which appears to be fully saturated and catered for.

However, I applaud the mysterious OP's entrepreneurial spirit and wish him well in his enterprise. I ahev no further comments to make on this subject.

Back