Politics High School Senior Comes "Out" and Was Expelled

I find that article to be extremely disheartening. But then, I am greatly disheartened that my own church--which seems to be just about the most tolerant Christian sect out there at times (we have to put up with being laughed at for being "Christianity lite")--seems to be splitting over this same issue. Personally, I have difficulty understanding the depth of intolerance over this issue and can only think that in some cases extreme intolerance stems from extreme insecurity or extreme dogmatism.
:(

verdantheart said:
I find that article to be extremely disheartening. But then, I am greatly disheartened that my own church--which seems to be just about the most tolerant Christian sect out there at times (we have to put up with being laughed at for being "Christianity lite")--seems to be splitting over this same issue. Personally, I have difficulty understanding the depth of intolerance over this issue and can only think that in some cases extreme intolerance stems from extreme insecurity or extreme dogmatism.
:(
have you ever read Skeptics and true believers? it is about the contrast between religion and science, and while it still didn't provide an answer, it was interesting what the authors point of view was on this contrast. it explaind how most scientists are excepting of all people while believers are so concieved and wrapped up in their dogma that they do not open their eyes and see other peoples oppinions. quite interesting. just thought i'd share.
i hate it when people are homophobic. i tell them to f*** off.

Thats so wrong....

One shouldnt judge another because of their differances. I mean i have a really close friend who is homosexual and hes the nicest person in the world...

Something like that happened not to long ago around these parts though.

two females weren't let into prom because they we're both female...

THIS SERIOUSLY PISSED THE $&#% OUT OF ME!! I CANT STAND STAND PEOPLE THAT ARE HOMOPHOBIC!! JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE GAY THEY ARE STILL HUMAN AND HAVE FEELINGS. I Have friends who are gay and i am totally fine with that, you know this school deserves the worst that can happen, it's almost as bad as the guys in the translation program in the Pentagon(which they look for everyone they can get for arabic) and were kicked out because they were gay! WHATEVR HAVPPENED TO FREEDOM OF CHOICE?!?! :angry: :angry: :banghead: :argue: :cuss: :madfire: :madfire: :stupidcomputer: :wtf: :wtf: :angry2: :mad: :censored:

This just wouldn't happen in the U.K , if it did , the people responsible would be brought up in front of a court of law. For one thing they can't , private schools have to adide by the same ciriculem and codes of conduct regarding race, gender and religous discrimination as state schools.

If the school didn't say anything in their handbook or policies, I think it was wrong to just expell him for something he didn't realize was against their rules. Now, if the school made it very clear that, because they disagreed with homosexuality, they didn't want any gay students, then I don't have any pity for the family; just don't send the kid to that school. However, from the article, it appears that they didn't make it clear they didn't accept gay students, therefore, I think it was wrong of them to simply expell him. They should have gone to the parents and explained that in their school, the disagreed with his behavior, and he either needed to change his behavior, or change schools. That way, he wouldn't have "expelled" on his credits. I do think that the school has the right to not allow gay students, being a private organization, but I also believe that they should make sure that everyone knows that policy. Clearly they didn't, which is what I object to.

I think they're hypocrites for expelling him. A Christian school would have to be more tolerant in order to be true to their Christian beliefs.

I'm a Christian and one of the few people in my religion who beleives homosexuality is ok, as long as you don't push it as a public display. I hold the same standards of PDA for both heterosexual and homosexual people. But I'm deeply dissapointed in the Chaplain and ashamed of him.

JnC&SnVfan4life said:
I'm a Christian and one of the few people in my religion who beleives homosexuality is ok, as long as you don't push it as a public display. I hold the same standards of PDA for both heterosexual and homosexual people. But I'm deeply dissapointed in the Chaplain and ashamed of him.
i know!I am the only one!!!! I am just lucky their are very few morman schools!

A situation happened like that in Toronto, it bit different though.

A gay student wanted to bring his date to the prom at a Catholic high school. The school said no. "DOUSH-BAGS" people need to stop being homophobic! :angry:

~~Spongy!

the situation hasent happend in Utah yet! but when it doese I am scared!!! but hey we utahens have had enough fun with the main st. plaza issue so Salt Lake City will love the drama!

SpongeBobSquarePants said:

A gay student wanted to bring his date to the prom at a Catholic high school. The school said no. "DOUSH-BAGS" people need to stop being homophobic! :angry:

~~Spongy!
Hmmm...at my school (which was a Catholic school), girls would take girls to the prom just to save money-they never had an issue with that. I don't know if they would have known the difference if someone was actually going as a "date".

Yes, they do. In some private schools, corperal punishment (think paddle and hitting...) is still allowed.

That is not exactly true. I go to a private school and personally I have nothing wrong with it. Probably .5 percent of the school population believe in hitting people.

And also a school expelling a kid for that is totally unfair to that kid.

SpongeBobSquarePants said:

~~Spongy!
My friend used to go to that school... and they broke up like the day after or something.

Back