His Dark Materials

Alias Anna said:
really? :blink: dude. well, it makes sense, but that's just weird. why retitle it?

but the books are incredible! i hope you like them.
[post="1036650"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

*cough*

Don't you mean why did the silly Americans rename it? :mellow: US doesn't set the standard on everything...

Alias Anna said:
why retitle it?
[post="1036650"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Well, I think it was originally going to be called ´The Golden Compass´ everywhere, but then Phillip Pullman decided to retitle it, partly I think because he thought some people may have thought that ´The Golden Compass´ refered to the althiometer, when it didn´t. Anyway, I think he changed it to Northern Lights, but I don´t think his American people listened, and then it was too late.
I think.

Jai

SiriCerasi said:
*cough*

Don't you mean why did the silly Americans rename it? :mellow: US doesn't set the standard on everything...
[post="1037372"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

i never said that is wasn't hte americans who retitled it. i jsut said "why retitle it?" so it goes both ways.

m<o>j said:
Well, I think it was originally going to be called ´The Golden Compass´ everywhere, but then Phillip Pullman decided to retitle it, partly I think because he thought some people may have thought that ´The Golden Compass´ refered to the althiometer, when it didn´t. Anyway, I think he changed it to Northern Lights, but I don´t think his American people listened, and then it was too late.
I think.

Jai
[post="1037812"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yeah. it makes you wonder which idea came first. maybe he liked both and couldn't decide. both titles work, i think.

SiriCerasi said:
Hmmm

Who do you guys think would make a good Lyra?
[post="1038034"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

well, i don't know... nobody i guess that i can think of.

Keisha Castle-Hughes?

hmmmm... maybe. She has the right attitude, I find that most of the kid actors are all just supposed to be cute and happy and smiley, and Lyra really didn't hit me as that kind of kid :lol:

When I first read them, about four years ago, I wrote a letter to Phillip Pullman saying that if he ever made a film, could I be Lyra...I was such an idiot! :lol:

Jai

I have just finished this trilogy and absolutely LOVED the books. I cried so much at the end of The Amber Spyglass!!! (n) I loved the the bear Iorek and the daemons was just one of the most fabulous ideas I have ever found in any book. Really imaginative. I am so happy they are being made into a film and cannot wait to see how everything will be breated on screen!! also Pullman has decided to write a book about Lyra when she is 16 so we can see how her life progressed. :smiley:

if anyone in this thread has not read the books i would say this - read them!!! ;)

^
^
I think I was about 12.

Okay, I am finally reading the rest of The Amber Spyglass. Even though my mum almost scared me out of it by saying she cried at the end. I got it free from one of my teachers, as it was withdrawn from our schools libary. So now I have two copies of Northern Lights, one of The Subtle knife, and two of The Amber Spyglass.

Jai

I read the first two when I was in elementary school. (I'm in university now.) By the time the third one came out, I couldn't even remember what happened in the previous books and just gave up reading it altogether after too many references I didn't understand.

Apparently a movie for this is being prepared. For some reason, I see either Dakota Fanning, that girl in Harry Potter, or the girl in Lemony Snickett playing Lyra.

emma roberts?

i don't know why, but in my head i keep seeing vartan as asriel. i'm rereading (for like the 5th time) the trilogy and whenever asriel speaks, mv pops in my head. no idea why, maybe it's just because of recent events, but it's a thought.

Back